Artisan 50 stubborn clogged nozzles. Time to get XP-800?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990

rsuryase

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I already purchased xp-800 with cis from amazon. I found youtube videos showing how to install them and they show it works. I will report back when I get the items.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
If anyone would want a printer with a ciss solution right out of the box I would go for an Epson 1500w its wideformat but Easy to equip with a CISS
I do have two "older" models Epson 1400

rsuryase

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Problem with buying used printer is how long before the print head becomes clogged and unusable since there is no easy way to clean a print head nozzle.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
for my case I used MANY epson printers heavily under commecial situation but none of the printhead did go wild on my most time it was eletronics, paper gripper or paper path which caused a financial meltdown

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
cls said:
for my case I used MANY epson printers heavily under commecial situation but none of the printhead did go wild on my most time it was eletronics, paper gripper or paper path which caused a financial meltdown
Same here, except for one R2000 for which the printhead malfunctioned and one colour just doesn't print any more.
As for the P50, it's a very robust printer. One of those I have has over 50000 printed pages by now (almost three times the expected lifetime according to Epson), and is still going strong, and what's more, I had it run on pigment the whole time...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
rsuryase said:
I have a few stubborn clogged nozzles on my Artisan 50. I head cleaned it like 20 times
This may well be part of your problem.. Repeated cleaning routines won't help on their own. Much better to try once or twice before leaving for a few hours and then testing a nozzle check, then switching to manual cleaning if required.

I tried cleaning with a syringe and a cleaning solution I purchased online a few years ago but it didn't help.
Couple of things here too..

1. Cleaning solutions that old may well have no active ingredients anymore so consideration of something new/fresh may be in order.
2. Active cleaning where you force it into the printhead is not recommended and is only so popular because it's a "quick fix" that works for many minor clogs but beggars the bejebus out of any more established clog because you are more likely to delaminate (ie: blow apart) the printhead.

Much better to use the cleaning solution in a passive approach where you soak the printhead cleaning/resting pad area with the solution and move the printhead over it to sit and wait. The solution should then wick up into the printhead nozzles and create the equivalent of a long soak (eg: when you chuck your dirty dishes in a bowl of warm water). The solution slowly breaks down any clog, returning the components to solution and makes it much easier for the printer to flush things out.

Key ingredient is patience.. LOTS of patience... So expect it to take a few days, where you leave the solution to work overnight, run a single cleaning routine + nozzle check and then repeat as required.

Note: If you have an external kit installed it's a good idea to clamp the tube while the solution is working its magic because this process can easily create a syphon effect that empties and CIS system or cartridges. Obviously unclamp and uncrimp the waste tube before running the cleaning routine!!

I just purchased a different cleaning solution today from ebay seller cbprintertech, hoping it will solve the clogged nozzles. If it doesn't, then I will probably get the XP-800. Any recommendations on CIS?
None on the CIS... They're similar to Canons with the printhead to cartridge interface very prone to air leaks so you're likely to hit problems... If you don't, great! But don't be too surprised if you find hair missing from your scalp :)

Is it recommended to install printer potty on xp-800? Because I heard there is no free software to reset the ink waste pad at the moment on the XP-800 like the Artisan 50.
As noted there is software available that will handle the reset but as the printer is new it's simply not worth installing a waste kit of any type on the printer until you've had it at least a month and frankly I'd wait until your waste counter is showing 80% or greater.

Fitting isn't a huge problem although it does require some screw removal and drilling to get the waste tube out.

BUT... as noted, your existing P50 is still a good printer so I'd really focus on getting that working again if you can at all... if not, eBay it so someone else can take a crack at it, rather than making it more landfill.

Best of luck... :)

rsuryase

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My artisan 50 no longer powers on. I guess its dead. Off to landfill.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Ouch! Sorry to hear that...

rsuryase

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I guess there is no easy way to fix this like changing a power supply.