Artisan 50 stubborn clogged nozzles. Time to get XP-800?

rsuryase

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a few stubborn clogged nozzles on my Artisan 50. I head cleaned it like 20 times, filling up my printer potty. I have CIS from hotzone360.com, so not losing much money. I tried cleaning with a syringe and a cleaning solution I purchased online a few years ago but it didn't help. I just purchased a different cleaning solution today from ebay seller cbprintertech, hoping it will solve the clogged nozzles. If it doesn't, then I will probably get the XP-800. Any recommendations on CIS? Is it recommended to install printer potty on xp-800? Because I heard there is no free software to reset the ink waste pad at the moment on the XP-800 like the Artisan 50.

rsuryase

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I guess we can test your theory by replacing the CIS with OEM carts and see the nozzle check printout. CIS ink are low quality so it causes many clogs unfortunately.

rjgeisler

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
rsuryase said:
I have a few stubborn clogged nozzles on my Artisan 50. I head cleaned it like 20 times, filling up my printer potty. I have CIS from hotzone360.com, so not losing much money. I tried cleaning with a syringe and a cleaning solution I purchased online a few years ago but it didn't help. I just purchased a different cleaning solution today from ebay seller cbprintertech, hoping it will solve the clogged nozzles. If it doesn't, then I will probably get the XP-800. Any recommendations on CIS? Is it recommended to install printer potty on xp-800? Because I heard there is no free software to reset the ink waste pad at the moment on the XP-800 like the Artisan 50.
For cleaning heads try using windex. See;
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9045

I have had the same issue with my R-200 and R300. You may need to remove the cartridges and use a syringe to suck ink through the sytem to remove air.
use a bottom fill adapter like this;
http://www.inksupply.com/product-details.cfm?pn=MIS-BADP&printerID=66799

If you have an Epson Original Cartridge, you may want to reinstall to see if it clears the head.

First I would read this discussion on the XP-600/800 on using a waste tank.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8871&p=8

As you will see, the XP series has an internal tank. There is still a free waste counter reset utility, you just need to buy a reset code!
The logical thinking is to wait for the tank to fill and the Waste error appears and then either change or clean the pads.
At this point you can install a External Waste ink Tank.

My understanding from the group here is that the CIS for the XP-600/800 does not work well.
Read the entire discussion here about refilling Original Epson Cartridges.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8871

Good Luck,
Rhonda

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
Are the lines missing from the nozzle check test always the same or different after each cleaning cycle?

If they are not the same (different parts appearing clogged each time) then there's something wrong with the CISS.

Most of the times this happens to one of those I use it's either due to air (as discussed above), or to the valve inside the cartridge not working properly. Try inserting the priming syringe in the bottom of the cartridge and move it up and down a few times till you feel the valve inside moving freely.

rsuryase

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The lines missing from the nozzle check test are always the same. I will try some of the methods suggested here.

rsuryase

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Windex didn't work. I'm buying a XP-800 with CIS.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
good luck with the new design ink catriges on the xp 800

rsuryase

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Are you saying its not a good idea to buy the xp-800? How about the xp-600? Can someone recommend a recent release printer model that can print CD/DVD and is CIS friendly? BTW the artisan 50 lasted me 3 years, is that a good run? I was hoping for 5 years. I should have purchased 2 of these artisan 50 when it was $100 each. I would purchased 2 of xp-800 at $130 each but its so bulky.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
rsuryase said:
Are you saying its not a good idea to buy the xp-800? How about the xp-600? Can someone recommend a recent release printer model that can print CD/DVD and is CIS friendly? BTW the artisan 50 lasted me 3 years, is that a good run? I was hoping for 5 years. I should have purchased 2 of these artisan 50 when it was $100 each. I would purchased 2 of xp-800 at $130 each but its so bulky.
What cls is saying is yes, go for an XP800 but dont use a CISS on it.
Also rjgeisler gave you the links to posts directly related to the XP660 / 800 series
explaining the ins and outs of these new printers.

Take some time and read through the threads carefully and then make a decision as to whether or not
these two printers would suite your needs, one way or the other you can forget about using the CISS..