Anyone sell empty canon bci-6 carts similar to the Hobbicolor ones?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Pebe, I did read your post. You washed a nozzle check print. I don't know what ink is used in printing the black boxes in the nozzle check print. It did not prove that the ink in your PGI5 is not waterproof. It may look black but it could be printed with equal amount of CMY ink. But if you do what I suggested in post #19 the black text will be by the ink in the PGI5 cartridge. If you wash it you will prove it with your own eyes. Tell me if I am wrong. But don't say I am wrong if you wash a nozzle check print. I am only trying to help. If it is so difficult for you to print a sheet of black text you don't have to do it. But if you do it you will be surprised. Use a sheet of plain paper and set your printer to plain paper and in standard quality. Print the largest text in bode mode if you wish. You will see that it will not run. I am talking about Canon OEM ink in PGI5. If you refill your PGI5 then it depends on if the ink you refill is 100% pigmented ink.

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does anyone know a reputable reseller who still sells BCI-6 blank carts? I check Alotofthings and Hobbicolors but they don't seem to stock them anymore. I plan on using the German Durchstich method.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I just looked at ebay for Hobbicolors' listings. They still sell their refill-ready empty ink cartridges in their refill kits. I am curious where you found out that they don't carry it any more. I found their empty cartridges excellent. Why will they want to stop selling them?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The ink used for the black grid lines on Canon printers is exclusively from the BCI-3eBk cartridge. If you have a Canon original pigment black cartridge, it will not smear when water is dripped across the grid lines on plain paper. Many third-party bulk inks and prefilled cartridges use a mixture of pigment and dye black inks which will smear the grid lines in the nozzle test when they get wet.

I use Inktec inks when I vacuum refill original Canon cartridges. Inktec pigment black is the blackest ink I have seen and it is 100% pigment--it does not smear when water gets on the black portions of printouts on plain paper, just like Canon original ink.

See the bottom line of this post for a cheap source of original Canon BCI-6 cartridges that have been refilled with Inktec ink. After you empty them, you can refill them with whatever ink you desire.

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
leo8088 said:
I just looked at ebay for Hobbicolors' listings. They still sell their refill-ready empty ink cartridges in their refill kits. I am curious where you found out that they don't carry it any more. I found their empty cartridges excellent. Why will they want to stop selling them?
I emailed and ask if they would be sold separately. I was told they were running low and would only come if brought with refill kits. I wanted to buy them separately in bulk.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I have collected some used OEM BCI-6 carts so I am not too concerned about not able to buy compatibles. I have to find a source of screws and drill the hole with threads for the screw. I can refill with Durchstich method too. Maybe that's why they don't sell the compatibles any more. But Hobbicolors has one of the best quality BCI-6 and BCI-3ebk compatibles. Their cartridges has two layers of cover to cover the vent maz on the top of the cartridge. One is a transparent plastic layer that really covers the maz well to leave only a tiny opening at the end of the plastic layer. The second layer is actually a cartridge label. The labels are really great for identifying the color of the ink in the cartridge. They are one of the best quality empties I have used. The days of using those may be over now.