Anyone sell empty canon bci-6 carts similar to the Hobbicolor ones?

Rebelatheart

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a mp530 and was about to buy a ip6000d just for the ease of refilling, but as i read more and more, purging the ink tanks after 4-5 refills seems like a hassle i dont really want to deal with. Id rather just use a new cart every 4-5 refills if the cost wasnt too bad. Im not a handy man, so making some type of hose to hook up to my sink to purge the cart, then having to suck the water out and let it dry before refilling isnt something I really want to do.

I print alot so 5 refills will come and go pretty quick. So, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you purchase Hobbicolor inks the kit comes with new carts. This is the most cost efficient approach. I've used MIS virgin bci-6 carts. They cost about $5 each last I checked. Purging is quite easy, and the absolute best carts to refill are Canon OEM carts. I've had some that I've used for up to three years before discarding. I let the carts that need purging accumulate and purge them all at once.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
If you purchase Hobbicolor inks the kit comes with new carts.
Actually I think that the Hobbicolor UW-8 inks (the only ones I would recommend) don't come with empty cartridges - the UW-8 ink is meant for the newer chipped cartridge printers. But as I said I would only buy the UW-8 inks - they have a better gamut than his earlier inks. Hobbicolor will sell you empty cartridges - no problem. I have eight unused, but I don't use them anymore - reuse Canon OEMs. So I would recommend purging and reusing the original Canon cartridges. I have built a purging device that fits into the refill hole on the cartridge top and purges the water out through the large printer interface (outlet) hole - works much better and is less messy than trying to hold a tube over the outlet hole. A faucet adapter, some 1/8" ID plastic tubing, a modified aquarium hose fitting and a 3" piece of 5/32" metal tubing (any hobby shop) are needed. Drill out (5/32" drill) one side of the aquarium hose fitting and super glue the metal tube into it. Connect the other end of the fitting into the plastic tubing. Faucet adapter is for use with RO water filters and fits the 1/8' ID tubing.

Steve W.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
on30trainman said:
I have built a purging device that fits into the refill hole on the cartridge top and purges the water out through the large printer interface (outlet) hole - works much better and is less messy than trying to hold a tube over the outlet hole.
If ink solids that have accumulated in the sponges and filter completely dissolve into the hot water during a purge, the direction of the purge shouldn't make any difference. However, if the solids don't dissolve in the purge water, a "back flush" (used by swimming pool filters) can dislodge these particles and blow them out through the same path that they followed to get into the sponges and filter, while a "forward flush" won't move them.

A comment on using CLI-8 inks in a printer designed for BCI-6 inks. Printers only get Red/Green/Blue data. This information must be converted to C/M/Y/K (and sometimes PM and PC) by a RIP in the printer's firmware. That firmware is designed specifically for the characteristics of the OEM's ink colors. If your ink colors are very different from the BCI-6 colors, the results may not be what you were looking for.

Another reason to use CLI-8 inks might be Canon's claim that their CLI-8 inks are more fade resistant than their BCI-6 inks. This may be true for Canon's inks, but we haven't seen any data indicating that 3rd party CLI-8 inks have any better fade resistance than their 3rd party BCI-6 cousins.

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Grandad,

Can you clarify whether "back flush" is referring to water entering the exit port and exiting via a fill hole over the spongeless chamber and the vent hole above the sponge, or visa-versa?

Which direction are you saying seems better to you?

And Steve, wondering if you might be able to post some photos of your purge, if you are able to?

Thanks!

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
jru said:
Can you clarify whether "back flush" is referring to water entering the exit port and exiting via a fill hole over the spongeless chamber and the vent hole above the sponge, or visa-versa?

Which direction are you saying seems better to you?
"Back flush" means that the flow is backward to the normal flow direction - from the exit port to the fill and vent holes in this case. Any solid particles lodged on top of the filter can then be washed out of the cart. A "forward flush" (with the purge water flowing from the refill hole to the exit port) will not purge any solid particles that have accumulated on top of the filter unless those particles dissolve in the purge water.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Trainman - Although I understand that some people are using the new ink sets in the older Canon printers, the question had to do with bci-6 carts that hobbicolors sends with bci-6 ink set kits. I would guess that Hobbicolors would "mix and match" - that is, permit you to order the newer inks and a set of bci-6 empty carts. I do agree that the best carts to refill are OEM Canon carts, and purging keeps them working, potentially, for years.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Grandad35 said:
If ink solids that have accumulated in the sponges and filter completely dissolve into the hot water during a purge, the direction of the purge shouldn't make any difference. However, if the solids don't dissolve in the purge water, a "back flush" (used by swimming pool filters) can dislodge these particles and blow them out through the same path that they followed to get into the sponges and filter, while a "forward flush" won't move them.
Actually the biggest build up of dried ink that I have seen has been at the outlet hole. A "back flush" would seem to me to push that ink back into the sponge. Also I have had a problem (at least with the larger BCI-3eBK cartridges) of the sponge moving back from the lip on the outlet hole. I know that a solid bump should move the sponge back, but on one cartridge I never could get it to seat - tossed it. What do you mean when you say "filter"? Isn't it only a sponge - a two layer sponge in the case of the Canon OEM cartridge. Actually I have never seen any particles accumulate on the sponge near the bottom of the spongeless chamber. If I am getting good water flow with my "forward flush" there shouldn't be anything building up there. Also I have never seen anything floating in the ink in the spongeless chamber. Probably the best would be both forward and reverse flushes. But, unless I start having problems, I am going to use the forward flush because it is much easier and a lot less messy.

A comment on using CLI-8 inks in a printer designed for BCI-6 inks. Printers only get Red/Green/Blue data. This information must be converted to C/M/Y/K (and sometimes PM and PC) by a RIP in the printer's firmware. That firmware is designed specifically for the characteristics of the OEM's ink colors. If your ink colors are very different from the BCI-6 colors, the results may not be what you were looking for.
Isn't that why we on this forum suggest getting a printer profile for each unique set of ink/paper. My first purchase from Hobbicolor was his so-called BCI-6 inks. When I first used them I had a greenish tinge to my prints. I actually went and bought Profile Prism and fixed the problem, but my prints weren't as bright as they had been with Canon inks. I printed out bars of CMY for both Canon OEM and Hobbicolor BCI-6 - there was definite differences especially in the M. Traded emails with Dave (Hobbicolors) and that is when he recommended I try the newer UW-8 inks even though my printers are the ip4000 and ip6000D. They were just what I wanted - very happy with them.

Another reason to use CLI-8 inks might be Canon's claim that their CLI-8 inks are more fade resistant than their BCI-6 inks. This may be true for Canon's inks, but we haven't seen any data indicating that 3rd party CLI-8 inks have any better fade resistance than their 3rd party BCI-6 cousins.
Hobbicolor UW-8 inks are not as fade resistant as the Canon inks - only have used the Canon BCI-6 inks. I ran a crude fade test last summer between the Hobbicolor and Canon BCI-6 inks and both flavors (Swiss and USA) of the Kirkland paper. All inks faded somewhat - the Canon inks were better. The Kirkland Swiss paper performed better than the USA version. I don't keep most of my prints in bright sunlight, so the fade problem isn't that big of a deal to me. I take lots of pictures of lighthouses, covered bridges and my train models - mostly keep them in albums.

As far as my "forward flush" device I will see what I can take good pictures of and try to post them here in a day or so. Never have posted any pictures on this forum, so I will have to check the procedure out.

Steve W.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
Trainman - Although I understand that some people are using the new ink sets in the older Canon printers, the question had to do with bci-6 carts that hobbicolors sends with bci-6 ink set kits. I would guess that Hobbicolors would "mix and match" - that is, permit you to order the newer inks and a set of bci-6 empty carts. I do agree that the best carts to refill are OEM Canon carts, and purging keeps them working, potentially, for years.
Definitely he will sell empty cartridges - at least he did about a year ago when I bought some. Actually when I bought my first UW-8 inks I got some cartridges. As stated, I now use only purged/flushed Canon BCI-6s - found a couple of sources of empties and now have plenty.

Steve W.