Anyone sell empty canon bci-6 carts similar to the Hobbicolor ones?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
on30trainman said:
What do you mean when you say "filter"? Isn't it only a sponge - a two layer sponge in the case of the Canon OEM cartridge.
Look at the photos in this thread. There are two sponges on top of the "filter". I'm not sure, but I believe that this was an "Old Inkgrabber" cart. The Canon design is similar, but I think that its filter is slightly shorter. The filter's construction reminded me of a cigarette filter.

I don't know whether the filter is used just to conduct ink from the sponges to the ink pickup on the print head or to filter the ink, but I suspect that it does both because HP and Epson carts have a fine wire mesh filter at their exits.

If the CLI-8 colors work in your BCI-6 printer and you get good colors with a custom profile, that's great. I was just trying to point out that there is more to consider when you change ink sets - see the OEM BCI-6M vs the OEM CLI-8M in this post for an example.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Grandad35,
OK - I see what you mean about the filter. I wish I hadn't thrown away that BCI-3eBK cartridge that had that "filter" pulled away from the outlet hole lip. I have a whole bunch of empty Yellow Canon OEM cartridges that I got cheap from a fellow - had bought a bunch of others from him on E-Bay. About 6 months later he contacted me and offered the remaining stock for basically postage - mostly Ys. Take one of my hobby saws and cut the top off.
Actually it looks to me like that filter could get clogged no matter which way the flush went, since I have noticed gunk building up on the face of the outlet hole sponge material.

Actually I think you and I totally agree that whenever a change of ink (and sometimes only a change of paper) is made, a new profile is probably a necessity unless you aren't that critical with the print results. At first I was really disappointed with the Hobbicolor results. But after making a printer profile for the original Hobbicolor BCI-6 inks, and then switching to the UW-8 inks (even better), I am well pleased.

Steve W.

Grumpy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Rebelatheart said:
I have a mp530 and was about to buy a ip6000d just for the ease of refilling, but as i read more and more, purging the ink tanks after 4-5 refills seems like a hassle i dont really want to deal with. Id rather just use a new cart every 4-5 refills if the cost wasnt too bad. Im not a handy man, so making some type of hose to hook up to my sink to purge the cart, then having to suck the water out and let it dry before refilling isnt something I really want to do.
Thanks.
We offer empty BCI-6 ink tanks. I am not familiar with the design of the Hobbicolor tanks, but a photo of ours can be seen at http://inkjetsaver.com/bci3adapt.html We also address the process of purging and washing the tanks with a fill/purge adapter.

I do hope this helps, Thanks

gpstu

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have an i9900 and a ip6700d. I have been refilling for about 7 years on older canons and epsons.

For about the last year, I have been using Kyson inks(http://www.kyson.yangportal.com/), which claim to be archival pigment, with carts from colorbat.com. I use no additional profile on my system, which includes Gretag color correction for the monitor. I have been thru several sets of 4 oz bottles with absolutely no clogs, lovely and accurate colors, and easy refilling. I have used every major brand (not Hobbicolor, though), and just love Kyson. The other companies were great too, but the claim of archival quality is what got me on Kyson. Frankly, I (and no one else) cannot verify their claim that they are truly pigment inks, but I have had no fading. My doubts are based on wondering how some little company achieved the Holy Grail of Canon non-OEM ink suppliers while bigger outfits have not.

The cartridges work a bit differently than usual, in that there is a metal tube to lift the ink (capillary action) to the sponge section, rather than a seep hole at the bottom of the reserve tank. This provides a wonderful ability to never take the cartridges out of the heads. In order to have proper atmospheric pressure to get the ink up the tube, the reserve tank keeps the refill hole open and NOT plugged. This means that when the ink runs out, all you have to do is inject the color into the tank without removing it. This provides most of the convenience of a CIS system with none of the attending bother. It is hell when a CIS system has problems.

The cart comes with fill holes over the sponge section and over the reservoir section. You do the very first fill by saturating the sponge layer, then the reservoir. You then use a supplied plug for the sponge section and leave the reservoir open.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Try to print a photo on a plain paper then wash the print with water. You will see if the ink you have used is true pigment based ink or not. It it is the print will not suffer any slight damage, no bleeding no smudging whatsoever.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I emailed Canon when ink from a PGI-5BK cart in my MP600 smeared. The reply I got was.

"Please be advised that the ink tanks used with your printer are not waterproof. "

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Pebe, I saw your post regarding this subject not long ago. I have tested many times and it is true that pigmented ink is waterproof. I even submerged text prints in water for half a minute and hang it dry. The text remained intact with no smudging. I did the same test with a color photo printed by an Epson printer with Epson's Durabrite ink (pigmented ink). I submerged the print in water for a little while and saw no smudging of ink at all. It will be a completely different story for dye based ink. The ink will smudge as soon as the print is in contact with water.

There are some resin coated photo paper which is waterproof when printed with dye based ink. Canon's Glossy photo paper all have such characteristic. But it is not because the ink is waterproof. It is the paper. Sometimes I doubt that Canon's tech support has high school diploma at all. You can use a small paint brush to absorb some ink out of a PGI-5 exit port and paint the ink on a piece paper. Wait until it dries then submerge the paper in water. You can prove it yourself if the ink is waterproof. You can use this method to test all 3rd party ink you have on hand to see if any of them is waterproof. The black ink for PGI-5 is supposed to be waterproof. If it is not it is not pigmented ink.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Tin Ho. In view of your posting, I thought I would recheck my test.

I did a nozzle test done using genuine Canon inks on plain paper and left overnight to dry. Next morning, it was run under a tap and surplus water allowed to drain off. The colours had run but the pigmented black had not.

While the paper was still damp I drew my finger across the grid of lines and the black block top left. It had no effect on the grid but the block smeared (I did an image but can't seem to upload it).

I think all the ink in the grid lines has been absorbed by the paper and as it's below the surface it's 'untouchable'. But in the blocks there appears to be surplus ink on the surface that can easily be detached from the main body of the ink when it is damp.

How could that be if the ink were entirely waterproof?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Pebe, try this. Print a sheet of black and white PDF or word document with black text. use a sheet of plain paper and set your printer to plain paper in standard quality mode. Print it and wait a minute for the ink to dry. Then wash it with water. You should see that the black text will not smudge. No matter how thick the text is, no ink will run. If you print a poster this way you can post it outdoors on a rainy day. You will see that the text will remain perfect the next day, after a whole day of rain. If the paper is not damaged the text will be as good as new still. Try it and you will see it with your own eyes. But if the ink smudges then you are right that the ink isn't pigmented ink. If you use aftermarket ink that's is very likely that it is not pigmented ink. Pigmented ink costs a lot higher than dye inks. As far as I know Canon OEM PGI5 and BCI3ebk all contain 100% pigmented black ink.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Tin Ho, re-read my posting. I say again.

I have done what you ask, using genuine Canon PGI-5 black on plain paper, and I am holding in my hand the piece of paper with a smeared black block on it, and I believe my eyes!

I have tried to upload the image, both as a .jpg and a .gif and I cannot get it to upload. If you can tell me how to, I will show you the proof.