Another failed German refill

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Andy my failures at refilling were all my fault by not following the advice here to the letter. My first attempt went well using a faulty technique which led me down the wrong path but now I have finally understood the advice here it's quite easy to fill with the German method. The talk about making jigs would help in making the hole placement a no brainer but I've had no problems making the hole as low as possible by eye & with a sewing needle (or any small dia point) that pushes through the cartridge really easily.

pianoman88

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
websnail said:
Evil, bad Stratman... !! :/

Now, back in your cage you...

:p :lol:
:hide

Pianoman88:

Both methods - German and Traditional top hole - can work perfectly. Become familiar with the overall techniques by reading first and then choose the method that suits your skill set and personality. There are people around to help you if you need it. Good luck!
Thanks strat!

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
The hard part of the German method is to properly saturate the sponge. It's not hard. But it is often not done. A complete refill is not just fill up the reservoir. The sponge needs to be well saturated but not too saturated. If the sponge is repeatedly not properly filled and saturated there will be dried ink goo in it which will eventually cause ink flow issues.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
The hard part of the German method is to properly saturate the sponge. It's not hard. But it is often not done. A complete refill is not just fill up the reservoir. The sponge needs to be well saturated but not too saturated. If the sponge is repeatedly not properly filled and saturated there will be dried ink goo in it which will eventually cause ink flow issues.
Tinho Could you amplify please the correct method to saturate sponge? I have noticed variation in the sponge appearance on some of my refills, particularly yellow. If the needle is in the resevoir I assume (possibly incorrectly) that you cannot oversaturate the sponge? I just rest mine for a while before use or storage in a zip-lock bag for future use. But this may not be correct and your Expert comments appreciated.

barfl2

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
barfl2:

The German method has 2 rest periods in which the ink you inject into the spongeless side is wicked into the sponge and the two sides of the cartridge equilibrate (more or less). The first rest period is after initially injecting ink into the spongeless side. The second rest period is after you top off the spongeless side following the first rest period. At this point, the sponge should have sufficient ink to begin printing immediately. If not, then the cartridge may need a flush due to sludging or some other issue causing the sponge to be stiff and resistant to wicking ink.

One method of insuring sufficient ink in the sponge to begin printing immediately is to slowly inject ink along the sponge as you withdraw the needle from the cartridge. Ink will bubble out or drip from the ink ejection port if the sponge is already saturated enough, you inject ink too fast, or the sponge is stiff from sludge or particulate matter.

Since you "rest" your cartridges for "a while" before using, you give ample time for the sponge to wick ink and may never have an ink flow issue from an unsaturated sponge.

The sponge can be completely colored by ink and work perfectly. You don't have to have the same OEM new appearance - partially white at the top - for proper functioning. If there's too much ink in the cartridge then it will drip until equilibration occurs.

Concerning "oversaturation" of the sponge -- obviously you do not want liquid ink pooling above the top of the sponge. You will get a dripping cartridge and possible ink in the air vent (which will need to be blown out or a cartridge flush to fix). If ink and air pressure inside the cartridge is not balanced then you will get leaking until there is equilibration. You can either wait for the dripping to stop, or squeeze the sides of the cartridge to speed the process, or you can reinsert your needle/syringe and suck back a little ink to correct the imbalance.

In general, if your process is working then don't try to "fix" anything.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
stratman said:
One method of insuring sufficient ink in the sponge to begin printing immediately is to slowly inject ink along the sponge as you withdraw the needle from the cartridge. Ink will bubble out or drip from the ink ejection port if the sponge is already saturated enough, you inject ink too fast, or the sponge is stiff from sludge or particulate matter.
BUT... be careful to ensure you are injecting ink and not air as you exit the sponge otherwise you run the risk of creating a foam barrier that can result in ink starvation and feed problems to the printhead.

The latter is a potential issue with the SquEasyFill system if you don't remove the bottle with the bottle pointing down (ie: so that ink is feeding rather than air), or with syringes containing any air.

Just thought I'd best highlight that bit...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
websnail said:
stratman said:
BUT... be careful to ensure you are injecting ink and not air as you exit the sponge otherwise you run the risk of creating a foam barrier that can result in ink starvation and feed problems to the printhead.

The latter is a potential issue with the SquEasyFill system if you don't remove the bottle with the bottle pointing down (ie: so that ink is feeding rather than air), or with syringes containing any air.

Just thought I'd best highlight that bit...
No buts about it, it is a good point to reinforce. :old

Either sucking ink back into the bottle/syringe or blowing air into the cartridge as the needle passes under the sponge can cause bubbles in the channel formed in the sponge by the passage of the needle. The result may be an "air lock" situation which impedes ink flow and causes ink starvation for the print head.

Using plastic squeeze bottles are the best method for injecting ink. Your SquEasyFill bottles have purty color coded caps! :love My bottles from Howard Electronics do not but I labeled them and it all works in the end. :clap

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

stratman
Your SquEasyFill bottles have purty color coded caps!
I never use glasses either, me I am a confirmed coloured bottle top man myself.. :weee

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:

stratman
Your SquEasyFill bottles have purty color coded caps!
I never use glasses either, me I am a confirmed coloured bottle top man myself.. :weee
Yes, Uncle The Hat. I've seen your special colored bottle tops you use for "refilling".

:ya

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Further to original rodbams post I got ink going into the air maze whilst using 2" 20G needles and squeezy bottles. I realised that in my case I was getting right through but was jamming the needle against the prism. Unwittingly I was increasing pressure to overcome the obstruction and this may have contributed to getting ink into the air maze. I sucked ink out and purged the cart. To overcome this small difficulty I have made some 1/4"(6mm) collars from electrical sleeving. (see attached pictures) My needle is now in the correct place[
I seem to be having a problem downloading the image but I'm sure you get the idea

barfl2