websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Redbrickman said:
Nice work.

What would be possibly more accurate would be to make a jig out of one of the large sealing caps.

They are like this...

http://www.cobrainks.com/product_images/d/335/cli-8bk__82551_thumb.jpg
Genius!

I have to admit that's a just perfect idea...

@barfl2... Thanks for persisting with the template upload... Made me laugh to see you varied attempts but you stuck with it... You'll go far in this community, we're all masochists and persistent/stubborn beggars :)

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Redbrickman Thanks for your input. The Drawing is dimensioned and the shaded ends when wrapped round the cart should be accurate enough. To get the scale accurate I tried printing in preview and by experiment on my system found you had to enlarge it by 180%.

I agree a solid plastic/Metal jig would be better but not everybody would have the facilities to make it. Easy project for a Commercial Company.:)

Another Method I have used is to use the 2 large letter P stamped on the end as a Guide. CAREFULLY align your drill just so the outside diameter brushes the Vertical leg of the RIGHTHAND P. As I have available small pin vices I start with 0.024" and then use another with 1mm. Not quite as accurate but good enough. But again not everybody is likely to have this equipment available.

Anyway thanks again for your input, and hope it will help somebody in the refilling fraternity.

barfl2:)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
barfl2,

Your method is exactly how I do it, except I have a small awl with a fine point to make a "pop" mark that the drill can start in. Once you have identified the spot to drill it is easy if you have steady hands ;)

Your paper method will certainly be very helpful to others on the forum.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Redbrickman Further to my post reread yours. realised I had missed the reference to the Cartridge clips. Yes this would make excellent drill jig once correct hole position is located. Would prefer something metal but perhaps a metal drill bush could be inserted. I have got in mind a small brass Tube/Rivet. I will search through my retaining clips and see if I could convert your idea to a practical Drilling Jig.

barfl2

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
barfl2

Even with the plastic clip, wear would be minimal if you simply use it to make a starting point for the drill, then remove the clip and drill by hand.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The use of a drill to make the hole is not advisable unless it's an old fashioned hand drill.
I taught youd like to know before you mangle the sponge..:hit

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
The Hat NO not using Power to drill holes. Manual Pin Vice which you rotate by hand. Not sure about Redbrickman but hopefully manual.

Thanks for input If the hole is in the right place which the Template is meant to do, you will not touch the sponge. Which is why I start with a small drill first to ensure I am in the right place and then move up to 1mm (for20G Needles)

barfl2:)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Also use a pin vice here, and just to be sure if you have a sensitive touch like me ;) you can feel the little drill breaking through, and then I turn it the opposite way slowly to complete the hole.

A 2 mm drill turned in my fingers takes off the burr around the hole.

Andyrad

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Seems like there is a lot to go wrong with the german method. i dont know if i have the skill or patience for it

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Andyrad
I am confirmed top filler myself but let me assure you that the German Method is as easy as it gets.
Dont be put off having a go at it, you have nothing to lose it wont harm the cartridge if you mess up
the first or second time you try it just take your time and it will work out youll see..:thumbsup