Another Canon ploy to stop refilling

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just a reminder, as stated before: we need to keep our posts friendly and non-accusatory. Up until this point, the posts were excellent but because they got away from discussing technical issues of refilling inkjet printers, everything from here to the end has been deleted.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hobbicolors pigment ink is listed as 'PMT-BK' for ip4500 and ip4600.
It was previously 'PMD-BK'.
I assume that Hobicolors is implying that the new formula is suitable for both printers.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Jackson: PMD-Bk is pigmented (contains dye as well) and PMT-BK is pure pigment (no dye). The PMT-BK was sold before for a long time, so there is nothing new about it.

DomtheMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well as a lot of suppliers say you can put dye ink instead of pigment without damaging the head.... unless you are a real anorak does any of this REALLY matter for the average printing enthusiast???

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, I think it matters, at least it matters to me and that is one of the things I like about Inktec pigment black ink for BCI-3eBK. It is 100% pigment which means that it will not smear after printing on plain paper if the paper get wet. Any amount of dye black ink mixed in will smear.

There is a major difference between the pigment black inks supplied by Canon in the BCI-3eBK (chipless) cartridge and the PGI-5BK (chipped) cartridge which is that the newer ink will not smear when a highlighter is used on them. I don't think Inktec has yet come out with a new formula that behaves this way but maybe this is the difference in the pigment black inks from other suppliers.

If this is the only difference, I doubt that the nozzles or the heads in any of the older printers would be damaged by the newer ink.

Anybody have access to both and can run an experiment?

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
There is a major difference between the pigment black inks supplied by Canon in the BCI-3eBK (chipless) cartridge and the PGI-5BK (chipped) cartridge which is that the newer ink will not smear when a highlighter is used on them. I don't think Inktec has yet come out with a new formula that behaves this way but maybe this is the difference in the pigment black inks from other suppliers.

If this is the only difference, I doubt that the nozzles or the heads in any of the older printers would be damaged by the newer ink.

Anybody have access to both and can run an experiment?
Hobbicolors claim that it's black pigment can be highlighted without smearing.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Has anyone investigated the comparison between the drying times and its effect on the real print ouput speed between the 4500 and 4600. On some short documents that are printed with the PGI-5, the printer delays the second page so that the ink has time to dry so as to prevent the second page smearing the first. Can someone verify if this is the same situation with the 4600 or has the time been shortened?. This could be one of the reasons why they switched formulations to decrease the drying times and increase the real output speed.

If such is indeed the case, in certain situations the use of pure pigment might not be ideal as smeared output could be the result when used on the 4600

I am hypothesizing here. I have NOT investigated this.