A CLI-8 and PGI-5 resetter sold in UK ???

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
pharmacist said:
Does someone knows after how much time this tracking system of Canon is disabled, the memory of the tracking is full and will forget the first resetted ones (just like the HP printers once did with their cartridges) or is this memory indefinitely, which is probably unlikely ? Maybe you can reset this internal memory with a special reset procedure, like you can do with resetting the ink waste full warning.
You might be able to do a EEPROM reset but that'd surely be a pain and there's the issue of waste ink overflowing because you've reset the counter in the process for that as well..

chippedoff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi.

I'd be interested in some more technical data on this reseter. Unfortunately at this time the UK web site is down.

The usb connection (infered in instructions) seems to be only for/as a power supply. Also i'm guessing that the computer will most likely need to be off during the reset. Otherwise pluging anything into a canon printers usb port usually activates PNP wether in cartridge change mode or not.

However more info is required.

Canonfodder.

This new reseter seems to follow similar ideas in our previous chip anomolies postings. Concerning the wet chips and pin sequencing shorts.

The new thinktank reseter info is bit confusing as there is no mention if the resets are colour matching required.

Apart from the youtube video that has Yellow cart on the ribbon wire and a cyan cart in the reseter.

If the youtube video is correct. Then the thinktank reseter is only resetting the counters and not the id's which comes back to other questions in this thread.

tc17

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Do the new Epson printers have this problem with it being so hard to reset them? If not, I would imagine this will drive people away from Canon printers.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Probably not, tc. These are still the easiest to refill, and if you buy one of the lower end printers like the ip4500 (give or take $100 US) a few refills instead of buying Canon OEM carts will save you the value of another printer. At that point the value of a warranty drops to zero! In this price range the photo prints are exceptionally nice also. When my i960 and my wife's ip5000 printers die (they all use the bci-6 non-chipped carts) I have an extra backup i960 and ip5000 to take their place. When those die I will go with the chipped cart Canon printers if they are still around and if they haven't figured out how to totally and permanently disable the printer if you refill the carts!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
tc17 said:
Do the new Epson printers have this problem with it being so hard to reset them? If not, I would imagine this will drive people away from Canon printers.
You'd think that wouldn't you..

Only problem is that Epson recently won an injunction against 20 companies including MIS (www.inksupply.com) such that they're discontinuing any cartridges AND CIS kits... You'll still be able to get ink, etc... but Epson just basically started the process of shutting down CIS systems and 3rd party carts in the USA.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
websnail said:
tc17 said:

Only problem is that Epson recently won an injunction against 20 companies including MIS (www.inksupply.com) such that they're discontinuing any cartridges AND CIS kits... You'll still be able to get ink, etc... but Epson just basically started the process of shutting down CIS systems and 3rd party carts in the USA.
If a person would find a cure against excessive greed, he would be immediately be awarded with the Nobel prize for Peace and Medicine. Maybe we should start a compulsory vaccination campaign to get rid of of this horrible disease. the guys at Epson should be inoculated first.......

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone gone shopping during the black Friday? I guess this is in the US only. I did and I watched for what people were buying. I don't believe I saw anyone having Epson printers in their shopping carts. I saw a few Canons though. This is quite the opposite from last year. In last years's black Friday Epson printers were kinda popular among what people bought. But this year I did not see anyone buying Epson.

Perhaps this is the vaccine Epson is getting now. The biggest selling point Epson had was widely available CIS everywhere. Now that Epson has taken all CIS and compatible cartridges out of the market there goes their printers as well. This is really the fastest path of giving their market share away.

tc17

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
websnail said:
tc17 said:

I didn't know that. That is not good.

I am currently looking for a new printer, and was very tempted to get the new Kodak 5500 printer due to the low cost ink. But I must have read a ton of reviews, and never have I seen a brand of printer have so many complaints of bugs and printer head problems. Kodak appears to be very helpful towards replacing parts, but its just insane. Some people replacing the same printer many times in less than a year. I still have interest in their printers, but just can't due so many problems.

I probably will just get a Canon IP4500. The all in one fax machines do interest me though, but they cost a lot more and I'm not sure its worth it.