A basic guide (see post #1) to setting up ARGYLL CMS profiling on your computer

ninj

Print Addict
Reaction score
I needed to generate some test patches for 4x6 paper (Kodak Advanced, which I found in my local Tesco reduced from £6 to £1.50) and, after some tinkering, came up with the following incantations, which I'm posting here in case they are of use to anyone. Based on CAP480, but optimised for 4x6 inches with 11 rows by 11 columns, or 121 patches per page. Add or subtract 121 from the -f parameter to increase or decrease the number of sheets if required. This one uses 4 sheets and has 484 patches:

targen -v -d2 -G -e6 -B5 -g128 -f484 ip8750_kodak_advanced_glossy

printtarg -v -ii1 -a1.05 -A0.6 -T300 -R21 -m2 -P -L -p4x6 ip8750_kodak_advanced_glossy

In printtarg I saved paper by adding the -L parameter to remove the wide left-hand margin used for clamping by the i1 but not required for the Colormunki. (Took me a while to work why that was happening!)

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
CAP480.txt As a batch file creates a single A4 page, 480 patch profile with a particularly good colour and B&W rendering (Sihl glossy and probably most other papers). This profile, with a relatively small number of patches, for some mysterious reason, out performs larger patch numbers and was originally devised by pharmacist. The .tif file, when cropped and resized to A4 has 10mm square patches. In my opinion this creates the best profile of any so far. See also post #195 for examples.
I just tried this batch file from the first post and it seem to work.
But the target which the batch program generates looks different from a 480 patch target, which I saw and downloaded earlier. This is probably by pharmacist, because the description is in dutch language.
My question: if you let argyll generate a target with 480 patches - is the result one and the same OR are there more settings which can result in different 480 patch targets? If so, which is the target that makes "particular good colors" - the one I get from CAP480.bat
09.03.2017-targen480_resized.jpg
or the one which I saw here in the forum earlier
480target_resized.jpg

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
why would you expect one target being better than the other - the color distribution just may be different, and the pathes have a slightly different size.
The colors on such targets should be equally distributed along the edges and boundaries of the color space - e.g. sRGB, and as well within the color space.
Good software to show that is very rare, I'm using the very old MonacoGamutworks which is only running on XP on my system , this software allows me to show the color spots of such target in the Lab color space - of one or several images to compare. There is a similar stand alone Java program (pretty old) available - Colorinspector3D - which gives a similar display in RGB or Lab and others. So I open the patch file and get this:
color3d.jpg
All the color spots in the RGB color space, but not just 480 color spots but many more - color clouds.
No wonder - this is the display of a .jpg file and shows again how many more colors are added by the jpg compression process - in this case about 83 000 which make up all these color clouds around the 480 original colors, so never ever use a .jpg file in your profiling process.
You would need to use the original uncompressed tiff/bmp whatever files , to display and compare the locations of the color spots, and then you could judge whether one would give a better overall coverage than the other - what I would question in this case.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
It's about time someone invented a new batch file, with new dimensions, that out performs all others!!:)

ISF's comments about .jpg files illustrate the problem of putting reasonable sized images on the PK website.

I don't think you would detect a difference in using the different dimension targets (ie one is 20 x 24 and the other is 24 x 20) if the key colour parameters were the same. However in post #313 there looks to be a slight difference in brightness and contrast, probably illusory.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
ISF, the targets are jpg only for upload reasons, and I will certainly use the original tif for profiling.

My question as an argyll amateur was: if you choose a specific number of patches to generate a target, are there more settings which would affect the resulting colors of the target? Probably yes:
...if the key colour parameters were the same...

BTW are there big improvements in actual 1.9.2? And also for the device driver?
I have 1.7.0 and don't want to change without needing..

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I suggest to try both and see what gives you the best result.

Hi Pharmacist,
iIf I remember the "manual workflow" of argyll (without batch file) correct, I would need the *.ti1 and *.ti2 files to make use of your specific 480 patch target (the second in my posting), right?
But I have saved only the *.tif file ... where can I get these two other files?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Martin, you are currently in the lead and should be telling us!!:)

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
..well this isn't my favorite position as an "argyll dummy"..
IMHO only the user who had generated the original target has the included *ti1 and *.ti2, doesn't he??

Latest posts