A basic guide (see post #1) to setting up ARGYLL CMS profiling on your computer

sampheap

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I believe I got it in there. Took me a little trial and error but it is in there accept I don't quit understand about the unpacking the file. Does this do that or is that something I should have done already. Seems to me the path or whatever would be empty. If I should have done that then how do you unpack the file into the bin.

One you got the archive file .zip or .rar > right click to extract (you can extract wherever you like but I prefer in C directory to make it short and easy for the process)
After extraction you will see the Bin folder; in here there are drivers which you can use to install and replace ColorMunki. And there is no file to be unpacked into the bin folder, it's just the .bat file and AdobeRGB1998.icc which you need to copy to; you can google this file if you cannot find in your system.

Anyway, what error msg you got when trying to start Argyll?

Last edited:

Tcrow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson workforce 7610
I never got any error message what I done was. extracted the file while still in downloads. I will try what you said and see what I can do. I know Iread where you did put it in the bin folder frow Argyll direction was my understanding. I,ll give it a trey.

Tcrow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson workforce 7610
I have extracted to C Dir. and I take it that the bin folder is in the Argyll folder with bin doc ref usb. So nothing more to do with that ? I also see in the doc folder there is a i1pro Hi-res.zip. Does that need to be extracted aswell. I think I should have a AdobeRGB.1998.icc if it's the one in my printer profiles. I only have PS Elem.11 but I also have corel draw x6 which is what I use most of the time. It has a corel paint with it for raster type images. If all this is right. I have typed in ;C:\Argyll\bin just like this in the Path envirm. Var. and when I go to path in C prompt it's in there. So again if all this is right then My next step I believe have to re-read again would be setting up the drivers. Give me a sharp jab if I'm missing something and thanks for all the help by the way.

Tcrow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson workforce 7610
Thought I'd give an update on my progress with the Argyllcms software. I've got my drivers in and able to change from colormunki to colormunki Argyll. Now That I got it started time to really go to school. I now believe there is hope for the future.

Tcrow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson workforce 7610
Need a little tip here, I have my dir. setup as so, C:\Argyll\bin and it's in the path where it goes as well as the software in the bin. If I go to the directory I can see it's there. Now I have been reading a lot and rereading to try and grasp everything. And I've been following a tutorial from this site and according to it I should be able to type in . C:\Argyll\bin>dispread -? and it should recognize the inst. which in this case is colormunki design. Now I can change from colormunki drivers to Argyll in device manager. So if that is right where am I going wrong ? In the tutorial the person said that they had to download a filter drivers from sourceforge.net. I don't know if it was for this reason that I''m having or not.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Have you successfully completed Post#1 Step 6 below? Click on the image to enlarge it.

Step 6...
You should now be able click the shortcut on the desktop, have a new window open and be able to type targen -? at the command prompt, press enter and be rewarded with a long list of options. Make sure you have your colorimeter plugged into a USB port and you should also be able to see, if you have your USB colorimeter installed:

Argyll..... in the list, in 'My Computer, Right Click->Manage->Device Manager list of devices.

Last edited:

Tcrow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson workforce 7610
Have you successfully completed Post#1 Step 6 below? Click on the image to enlarge it.

Step 6...
You should now be able click the shortcut on the desktop, have a new window open and be able to type targen -? at the command prompt, press enter and be rewarded with a long list of options. Make sure you have your colorimeter plugged into a USB port and you should also be able to see, if you have your USB colorimeter installed:

Argyll..... in the list, in 'My Computer, Right Click->Manage->Device Manager list of devices.

Yes all of that looks like what I have. My folder name is C:\Argyll\bin. I'm using a colormunki design. I know all the folders from the download is in there. Do you see anything it might be. I'm using windows 10.

Tcrow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson workforce 7610
Yes all of that looks like what I have. My folder name is C:\Argyll\bin. I'm using a colormunki design. I know all the folders from the download is in there. Do you see anything it might be. I'm using windows 10.

Tcrow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson workforce 7610
Can anybody tell me what this means or is it of any concern of mine ?

Some version of X-Rite's ColorMunki drivers released between 2009 and 2011 install an X-Rite daemon that runs as root and grabs the device, preventing any other programs (such as Argyll) from opening them. Latter versions seem to be more cooperative, and don't suffer from this problem. There are three ways of working around this problem:

1) Turn off the X-Rite service for the ColorMunki. See <http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1161&Action=support&SupportID=4980>.

2) Run all Argyll programs that need to access the instrument as root. For instance:

sudo spotread

and then you will be asked for the root password.
While these methods will work, they are inconvenient.

3) Alter the X-Rite drivers Daeomon so that it runs under your user account.

To do this you need to edit the script that controls the X-Rite Daemon.

cd ~
whoami
cp /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.xrite.device.colormunki.plist temp.plist
open temp.plist

and add one child below the root:

Item Type Value
UserName string myusername

where "myusername" is your username shown by whoami, and save the file. You then need to copy the modified file back:

sudo cp temp.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.xrite.device.colormunki.plist

You will then need to restart the machine for this change to take effect, or invoke the following commands:

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.xrite.device.colormunki.plist
sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.xrite.device.colormunki.plist

NOTE that after running Argyll tools, you may have to turn the X-Rite service off then on again, or disconnect and reconnect the instrument.

I pasted this so it doesn't show the diagram but it's from the colormunki install instructions from the argyllcms web site

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Sorry, can't say I recognise any of that, I use a ColorMunki Photo.