9000 v 9000 MkII

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
The Hat said:
3dogs wrote: All attempts have failed so far. The ink is coming out wet and patches are bleeding into each other!!
Regarding the unsuitability of some paper to accept ink from an inkjet printer, well Jtoolman is right in some respect
so you could try to create an acceptable surface yourself that would be suitable to your inks
by putting a very light coating of GO down prior to printing, that may well work.

The surface of this glossy paper is waterproof so it is much harder for a water based inks to stay stable on it
and take a strong hold without flooding, it will dry over night but will still rub off if touched much later.
mikling wrote: This paper ink thing has a lot more involved that what meets the eye.
Semi and glossy papers are made to print industry standards and have a higher content of starch in them
which tries to eliminate and minimises the porous surface,
even some of these gloss papers when put thought a laser printer will bubble and blister..

This is probably what mikling was talking about when he mentioned slowing down the ink drying process..

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/5128_drying_time.png
Mmm no screen grab graphic!!!

In what program does that screen appear? I have nothing like that in either the 3880, or the ColorMunki........well, not that I have found yet!
But then again is there a value in 'forcing' the paper to accept a medium it is not designed to work with? I am thinking on print stability and life even in book form where it will be semi protected.

Cheers,

Andrew

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
On the 3880, you have the extra facility of ink density. Look hard, there are a lot of options on the Epson driver . The Canons have less options thus far. Canon needs catching up in the driver area.

Canon is found in the "custom" settings.

The Epson is there once you dig in a bit.

The colormunki I believe does not provide any type of ramp situations to assess the suitability of settings in a given paper.

Warning!!!! once you play with these things, be prepared to order more paper.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Bugger it I might just stay poor & use proper inkjet paper. I was not overly impressed with the A4 Canon Photo Matte paper I bought to try out compared to the excellent discontinued Canon Fine Art Premium Matte which was affordable & I haven't found anything else in that price range.
The affordable Canon Photo Matte is a little underwhelming but I might do as the Hat said & give it a coat of GO before printing to see if that makes it pop more.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
rodbam said:
Bugger it I might just stay poor & use proper inkjet paper. I was not overly impressed with the A4 Canon Photo Matte paper I bought to try out compared to the excellent discontinued Canon Fine Art Premium Matte which was affordable & I haven't found anything else in that price range.
The affordable Canon Photo Matte is a little underwhelming but I might do as the Hat said & give it a coat of GO before printing to see if that makes it pop more.
Rod,

First up, believe me the NORMAL Xerox iGen3 Pt# 003R96152 (200gsm) A3 is bloody AWESOME, as is the Pt# 00397967 (200gsm) A4. I plan to use it for my project and it makes SUPER prints on both the Epson, and the Canon at A$22/ 250 sheets its not an expense item much like the ink.

Using the profiles I have it is BETTER than ANY matte I have printed on to date - full stop!

Because I do understand that software is averaged I am convinced that by tweeking the 3880 I can slow the passes of the print head and increase the density of ink delivered and get richer colours. Remember tho I do not use Gloss papers, and avoid pearl and satin altogether. Further I have no plan to use canvas. Thus what I am seeking to do is to produce prints that could stand at an International Salon, but be made on laser jet stock. I will say that is unachievable when I cant get an acceptance at a National Exhibition.

I have no fear of addiction, its more satisfying than chasing baubles at Photo Club or Exhibitions. Only value there will be as evidence that other more critical eyes than my own see merit think the Quality and content has achieved MY self imposed goal so the dire warnings are "wasted, WASTED I tell you I am brave and strong and BIGGER than this thing :hide "

Cheers,

Andrew

Added ( a bit later!!)

Prints made with the following settings on an Epson 3880 - Media type Photo Quality Ink Jet Paper (no color adjustment) Paper config. settings (below)

Colour Density +10 - + 50
Drying Time +10 - +26
Paper Feed Adjustment -28

AND

In Lightroom 4

Print adjustment Brightness + 61 - +80
Contrast +50 - +79

This has been a game changer @ CD +50; DT +26; PFA -28; LR Print adj Bright +61; Contrast +79 is as close as I can get to what I saw, given that even on my EIZO the illuminated screen is going to skew what will print. The paper is taking the additional ink density ( Cone Pigment) and it is drying perfectly flat.

It took 9 x A4's to get me there but it IS worth the effort :rolleyes:

I will try to upload the File image but it will not really show anything other than the colours. The changes have achieved the goal of boosting Vibrance on Matte paper to really near to screen quality!!

9502_wall_art-1.jpg

The challenges here have been to get the red plaster (right) to a true red as seen, the blue in the hat and the mini wheelie bins gave me a headache. Keeping them under control AND holding the gray of the pavers was hard

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Well it seems you have the determination to get a great print on that paper, I would have given up a long time ago, I'm no good at tweaking things too much & tend to bin anything that doesn't print well on the second or third try.
I'm following your progress with interest mate.
The only igen 3 paper I can get at Officeworks is the silk. Xerox have discontinued igen 3 & have other names now for their latest papers. I will Google your part numbers & names to see where that takes me but the postage will be prohibitive if I can't get any local.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Rod,

I am about to start on the 9000 but this thread has moved too far off topic so I will continue in the Print and Profile a more appropriate place.

Forget Officeworks, they only promote lines that maximise their revenue, not really geared to anything else......well that's my experience here, I cant get it from them. can get it all over the place at larger independent office supply Retailers in Bendigo and smaller towns??

Lucky I messed up and bought a 9000 second hand, tho I'm still a bit sore at myself for not chasing a new one...........I may just do that anyway :cool:

Cheers,

Andrew