502 ink vs 522 ink

Nolegirl01

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson EcoTank 3760
Hello all! I purchased an Epson EcoTank 3760 printer. It came with 502 ink. I do have some brand new 522 ink from another printer I had. Can I use 522 ink in my ET3760 printer? I’ve heard different things so I want to make sure. Thank you!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Epson won't tell you about ink compatibility you are looking for, both inks you refer to are dye CMY inks, and the black inks most likely as well. The bottle heads are most likely different, you can turn them off with some force and swap them out. I don't/didn't have problems so far running either a pigment black or a dye black ink on Ecotank printers but I would caution you to swap to CMY pigment inks altogether without a good transitional cleaning action, I specifically had problems with yellow inks in the past.

Nolegirl01

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson EcoTank 3760
Epson won't tell you about ink compatibility you are looking for, both inks you refer to are dye CMY inks, and the black inks most likely as well. The bottle heads are most likely different, you can turn them off with some force and swap them out. I don't/didn't have problems so far running either a pigment black or a dye black ink on Ecotank printers but I would caution you to swap to CMY pigment inks altogether without a good transitional cleaning action, I specifically had problems with yellow inks in the past.
So both 502 inks and 522 ink are dye inks? So if they are the same, I can use them? Yeah the bottle tops are different but I’m going to try and switch the tops. The ones I heard was different was the black inks. I heard between 502 and 522 one is pigment and the other is dye. I’m not sure which is which and if that statement is true at all. But if the 502 and 522 inks are all dye inks, they are the same? I can basically combine them?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The T522 black runs on the ET2720 and other models , and is a dye ink, the T502 ink runs on the ET-2700 and other models and is a pigmented black, both the 502 and 522 CMY inks are dye inks and interchangeable. There are slight differences in the printouts when you look to the edge definition of letters - the pigment black ink delivers better sharpness , it may be important for you or not. I don't see a problem otherwise to swap one ink for the other, I'm/was running both types on a printer with the same printhead as used in the ET-2700.

Nolegirl01

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson EcoTank 3760
The T522 black runs on the ET2720 and other models , and is a dye ink, the T502 ink runs on the ET-2700 and other models and is a pigmented black, both the 502 and 522 CMY inks are dye inks and interchangeable. There are slight differences in the printouts when you look to the edge definition of letters - the pigment black ink delivers better sharpness , it may be important for you or not. I don't see a problem otherwise to swap one ink for the other, I'm/was running both types on a printer with the same printhead as used in the ET-2700.
I appreciate the help! I’ll probably then just use the cmy interchangeably and leave the correct black to each respective printer just in case.

Bagman1972

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ecostank 2803
Hello all! I purchased an Epson EcoTank 3760 printer. It came with 502 ink. I do have some brand new 522 ink from another printer I had. Can I use 522 ink in my ET3760 printer? I’ve heard different things so I want to make sure. Thank you!
I like Epsons answer best:
A key differentiator of EcoTank inks is the colorant used, namely pigment vis-à-vis dye. Pigments are solid particles that suspend in the ink, while dyes are dissolved in a liquid base. Generally speaking, dye inks produce a stronger color and is cheaper compared to pigment inks; however, they fade more quickly and tend to soak the paper more easily.
For EcoTank printers, Epson has leaned primarily on dye inks, though some models use pigment black or even all pigment inks. This is where the main differences in the models arise.
At the same time, Epson also has different model names for the same ink in different markets. This is controlled by the little "keys" on each bottle that match specifically to the ink reservoirs.