Your virtual U.S. shipping address

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
Some considerations:

Its important to understand the US inter-state taxation: Sellers have to pay sales taxes applicable to the state of the buyer when they have a presence in that state. Which is why reshippers like viabox have addresses in states with 0% sales tax. So the seller can be anywhere. There is no way to get sales tax back once paid (unlike shopping in europe).

Wrt: mail-in rebates: You first have to send in the mail-in rebate form. Hopefully nothing happens when the processor sees that it was shipped from overseas.

Then they will nowadays most likely send you back some prepaid debit card, typically from amex (i also had visa/mastercard). Checks was in the past. Maybe they still exist, i have not seen any in the lat three years. That letter with the debit card would be another letter that your forwarder has to pass on to you (cost).

Then you have a prepaid US dollar debit card. No idea how easy it is to spend that in Europe. They may not work overseas at all. I can try to take that $250 Amex i get for my Pixma Pro 100 to Europe and try, but that will take a few months to tell. And they typically expire after a year, so if you intend to spend on vacation in the US, make sure you remember that.

The discounts of frequent shippers are certainly worth considering. Even in the reverse direction: In 2012 i bought a 15 Kg shipping weight projector from a small home theater store i Germany, and he shipped it to California for about 1/3 the price i was quoted by UPS ($100 vs close to $300 if i remember correctly). And of course i didn't have to pay VAT in Germany because the store & UPS marked it for export, and USA customs is always very low.

Which basically brings me to the last part of international shipping: I really do not want to have anything shipped to Germany anymore. German customs is just a fre#&%*&#%^$ shi$% he#$ of as#$(&^$*% fu$%*&^ CENSORED! I'll stop here or i get kicked off the forum

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
60,000 customs/border agents in the USA, 40,000 in Germany, 16,900 in France. Go figure.
There is a huge difference between Customs and the border force, the revenue never has to leave their chairs...
In fact, we don’t have any border force here, just the regular cops...:fl

olynx

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo 1500W
Would you reveal from where to where?
The shop I've ordered from has a lot of physical shops all over US, they had a flat rate shipping on domestic orders but it went crazy if you wanted to ship overseas. I've got assigned a virtual address in Delaware. Shipped to France.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
60,000 customs/border agents in the USA
A little over 60,000 employees at U.S. Customs and Border Protection, not all are agents.

The interior of the USA is protected by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) which has a little over 19,000 employees, not all are officers.

Trump wants 5,000 more Border Patrol agents and 10,000 more ICE officers in the next couple of years.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
we don’t have any border force here, just the regular cops
Many city governments in the US have expressly forbid their police officers from inquiring about legal status or holding known illegals for ICE officials to pick up. Does that happen in Ireland?