XP-700 advice needed

Undervalued

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
I would be most grateful for any advice regarding an Expression XP-700 printer which had (still has??) an intermittent fault.

I was given the printer, which has had very little use, as it would frequently display a 0xC1 error, sometimes on power up and sometimes stopping mid print. The message would say to turn it off and on again but this never cleared the error message. Generally, but not always, removing the power cable for a few mins would clear the error. Epson's "helpline" would only suggest giving the carriage a firm push to the right and removing the power again.

Gradually the errors became more frequent and, when cleared, were often followed by a second message saying that some or all of the cartridges were not recognised (despite being genuine Epson). Removing and replacing them worked but caused the printer to "prepare the ink system" wasting lots of very expensive ink.

I Googled the problems extensively but with little success. Equally could not find a service manual without paying c. $20. Reading this forum and finding a vague list of things covered by the 0xC1 error code lead me to suspect the cartridge connections in the head and / or one of the many ribbon cables feeding it.

I removed the screws at the front of the cartridge tray followed by the assembly comprising of the cartridge contacts and the small circuit board they press on. I carefully cleaned both sides of the contacts, plus the gold pads on the circuit board and the end of the ribbon cable and re-assembled. I also noticed that one screw, the slightly longer one that also retains the small black cover, will not properly tighten maybe meaning that the board and contact assembly is not held as tightly together. However, despite this it now seems to be working. Obviously with an intermittent fault one never really feels confident.

So, am I along the right lines? Is there anything else I should check now or if / when I have further problems?

Finally, if I now have a reliable printer does anybody have an recommendations regarding converting it to a continuous ink system.

Many thanks indeed for reading all this and for any suggestions you can offer.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you may use the WicReset uitlity and run a status report, that lists the latest 5 serious error codes with a brief description. @PeterBJ may be able to help you with a link to the service manual

Undervalued

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Thanks, I will investigate WicReset this evening or over the weekend. I have clicked on PeterBJ in your message. That opened up a conversation so I typed a message to him. Is that correct as I am new to the forum?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
@PeterBJ knows all the good and secret sources for manuals , for free or at a better price than typical links. Once you type a member name with a preceeding '@' sign that member gets a notification e-mail via the forum software that he has been mentioned.

Latest posts