Worrying taught on the PGI-9 cartridges

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Now that filling these PGI-9 cartridges has gotten so simple I was just wondering how many times they can be filled successfully before the inner bag develops a leak.

I am up to eight on some of mine so far, after all I dont think they were meant to be that durable.:(

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Do you think that dribbling would be less stressful than using the clip and syringe? I really have no idea but I would suspect that dribbling would be the lesser of the two. I have two sets of actively used carts and a third one unopened still in the box with a new PRO 9500MKII.

Even if they were to fail at say 20 25 refills, that would be at least 40 -50 cart swaps. Which would not be too bad considering what we might have spent if we had gone full OEM.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I would imagine as long as we don't overfill with the HAT method and pressurize it, it should be OK for more than 20 cycles... a lot lot more in fact. If you want to test it with the Freedom Jig, it's quite easy just extract and refill. Exercise it for 25 cycles and see if it leaks. Then go for the 50 and see when it gives up and leaks. It would be an interesting exercise and allow sleeping.

Don't worry be Hatty.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
mikling said:
I would imagine as long as we don't overfill with the HAT method and pressurize it, it should be OK for more than 20 cycles... a lot lot more in fact. If you want to test it with the Freedom Jig, it's quite easy just extract and refill. Exercise it for 25 cycles and see if it leaks. Then go for the 50 and see when it gives up and leaks. It would be an interesting exercise and allow sleeping.

Don't worry be Hatty.
OK as soon as I get an empty cartridge again I will do the refilling test and see just how durable these cartridges are and let you guy know the results.. :sick

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Does anyone know exactly what's taking place as ink is used? Does the bag collapse like those cheap wine cube? Or,, is air being vented from somewhere? Since I cannot find any sort of external vent I would assume that's not the case. So the logical thought would be that the "Container" that holds the ink collapses as you use up ink. That can be why ink just sucks right in as you dribble or inject it using either The Hat or Mikling clip. If that is the case then maybe we do not have to really pull back on the syringe before either directly injecting or dribbling ink.
Does this make sense or am I talking through my "you know what"?

I probably will never ever let any of the ink levels fall beyond 20% as will refill before that. But I remember as I was shooting the Dribble Method video using Miklings fully empty carts that I really had to do nothing as preparation but just stream/dribble the ink in. The cart basically took it almost as fast as I could feed it without causing a mess.
I am presently running those carts and they are providing ink as fast as the printer can ask for it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jtoolman said:
Does anyone know exactly what's taking place as ink is used? Does the bag collapse like those cheap wine cube? Or,, is air being vented from somewhere? Since I cannot find any sort of external vent I would assume that's not the case. So the logical thought would be that the "Container" that holds the ink collapses as you use up ink. That can be why ink just sucks right in as you dribble or inject it using either The Hat or Mikling clip. If that is the case then maybe we do not have to really pull back on the syringe before either directly injecting or dribbling ink.
Does this make sense or am I talking through my "you know what"? YOUR HAT :lol:

I probably will never ever let any of the ink levels fall beyond 20% as will refill before that. But I remember as I was shooting the Dribble Method video using Miklings fully empty carts that I really had to do nothing as preparation but just stream/dribble the ink in. The cart basically took it almost as fast as I could feed it without causing a mess.
I am presently running those carts and they are providing ink as fast as the printer can ask for it.
The cartridge has an oval (oblong) outlet which allows air in and ink out simultaneous and that way the ink/air pressure inside the bag remains constant.

The inner bag always remains inflated regardless of how much ink the bag is holding at any one time and the bag is also held open with the aid of a large spring inside it.

When you suck air out of the bag with the syringe to collapse it, the bag does not inflate till some air/ink is pumped back in again.

So if you attempt to push the plunger on your syringe down without removing the air first then only one or two ml of ink will actually go into the cartridge and when you remove the syringe youll have a colourful flood on your table/hands (I already tried that). :(

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thank you Hat! From now on I will be using the Mikling clip and a 30cc syringe using your method. Should workout dandy!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Hat said:
Now that filling these PGI-9 cartridges has gotten so simple I was just wondering
how many times they can be filled successfully before the inner bag develops a leak.

I am up to eight on some of mine so far, after all I dont think they were meant to be that durable.:(
OK I got some PGI-9 cartridges from mikling that were never refilled (Virgin) so I took this opportunity to test out my original idea just to see how many refills I could get before the inner bag developed any problems, 20, 30, 50 refills ?.

I filled my syringe with (16ml.) of water and clipped my refiller onto the cartridge bottom then attached the syringe and away I went.
I decided to stop the refilling at the count of fifty because frankly I didnt think I was getting anywhere except maybe bigger breasts. :ep

I reckon that was enough and besides I could have gone on all day and still not damaged the inner bag, all I can say is that this bag is made of a lot tougher material than I could ever imagined.

So it looks like these PGI-9 cartridges will last indefinitely and if you got two sets then definitely even l o n g e r than that.. :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Um, can we agree to call them "pecs" instead? Otherwise I'll have to start calling you "auntie" The Hat. :hu