Windows 8.1 Upgrade

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think your findings indicate that the add-on-module is only needed with the driver from Windows update. Using drivers from Canon European sites might be better for Americans who own a CD print enabled printer?

I have also used plug-and-play install of Canon printers on a Win Vista desktop and a Win 7 laptop. In both cases the printers wouldn't print CDs. Both deleting the printer and reinstalling it using a downloaded driver from Canon.dk site and using the add-on-module brought back CD print capability.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If I need to reinstall the printer then I will better observe and record the steps and at what point disk printing becomes available.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
UEFI is the BIOS. The UEFI certainly speeds up booting as does an SSD drive (the most important component to a fast boot). I am unaware of GPT faster than traditional MBR, at least documentation on this. I have read some opinions that state this.

Be careful -- A GPT formated hard drive can only be read by certain OS, so if you want Windows XP, for instance, to read the drive then you will be out of luck. GPT is primarily useful in real world application for drives and/or partitions greater than 2.2 TB. Booting from a GPT formated disk can be easy, problematic, or incapable depending on your BIOS/UEFI and OS: http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/booting.html.

In a nutshell, you should have a UEFI enabled motherboard if you want to use a GPT formatted drive, especially for booting and do not plan to use that drive with certain earlier Windows OS's.

IMO, there is little compelling reason at this time to use GPT with an SSD drive, or any drive 2.2 TB and lower except for certain RAID/Dynamic Disk configurations.

Thanks for your info. ;) My laptop is quite old and it doesn't have any of those fancy things like UEFI, SSD or GPT. However, I still see Win 8.1 is a little bit faster than Win 7, on the old (not too old!) hardware config! In the future when I can afford an SSD then yes I may install one. My :old laptop will run like a rocket :weee. I certainly cannot have UEFI and I don't need/want to use GPT since I would have problem when I need to use WinPE to rescue my laptop. :thumbsup

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I noted that after the Win 8.1 upgrade the "Windows Experience Index" is missing. I think this index gives a clue to bottlenecks in your system, so I miss it. But the info is still there, it is just not presented any more. Here is a guide to finding the info: http://www.intowindows.com/get-windows-experience-index-wei-score-in-windows-8-1/

And here are the figures for my new computer. It is seen that the traditional mechanical HDD is the bottleneck in my system. An SSD would be relevant if I wanted to upgrade my system, click to enlarge:

experience-index.jpg