Windows 8.1 Upgrade

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have just upgraded my new computer from Win 8 to Win 8.1.

The upgrade claims to be free for owners of Win 8 computers. It is free in terms of money, but I think you pay by giving Microsoft information. The upgrade is not available from Windows Update, nor can it be downloaded as a program or an .iso file from the web. I consider the upgrade a service pack, but Microsoft thinks otherwise.

I tried to get the upgrade from the App Store, but was told I was not connected to the internet (?). I found out the problem was I had never created a Microsoft account, so I had to do this. To get this account you need to provide name, date of birth, and E-mail address, to get a security/confirmation code.

After this I could start the online upgrade, and after finishing I had to log onto my computer using my new Microsoft login. My old login no longer worked. This login also logged me onto my newly created Microsoft account. I then had to configure my computer, especially with regards to the Microsoft account. I disabled some tracking services and the cloud drive.

After restart my computer would no longer boot directly to the desk top, but to the Metro UI. Somehow the "Classic Shell" feature to boot directly to the desktop had been disabled. I found out how to log on to a local account in stead of the Microsoft account. I was told that by doing so, I would have to log in to my Microsoft account if I wanted to use the App Store and other services. Yes and so what? Did I put a spanner into the works to Big Brother?
After backing up my SSD OS and files I took the plunge into upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1. First there was a Windows Update file that needed to be installed in order to get the 8.1 update which is found in the Apps Store rather than Windows Update as you had said. I do not have a Microsoft account, at least that I can remember but was able to download and install 8.1 UNTIL I got to the MS Account sign in window at the end of the install. Unable to go further and not wanting to sign up for a MS account I backed out of the upgrade. On reboot, Windows 8 was restored.

I then looked up "Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade Microsoft Account" and found the following instructions on how to log on to Windows 8.1 using a local account instead of a Microsoft Account. The instructions detail how to do this during the install of 8.1 as well ass after you have installed 8.1 so that you can revert back to a local account log on. I imagine you have already done this but the following may help others DURING the install as well as after.

Also, MS states that the downloaded ~3.5 GB for the installation of Windows 8.1 will be deleted. this is not enitirely true. I have an SSD I use for the OS and applications and have been told that when something is deleted, ie not in the Recycle Bin, then it will be gone without ability of recovery due to the nature of garbage collection / trim with SSD drives. I found Windows 8.1 installation files but clicking on Setup or the executable file gives an error of a missing file. I'm sure someone will figure out how to deploy the 8.1 upgrade via flash drive or DVD soon if not already.

I am going to redo the upgrade now that I understand the process and workarounds better.

BTW, I did leave my printer on during the upgrade process. We'll see if that makes a difference in it remaining installed.

Also, just to let you know, I successfully printed on a disk! :ya

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have just upgraded my new computer from Win 8 to Win 8.1.

The upgrade claims to be free for owners of Win 8 computers. It is free in terms of money, but I think you pay by giving Microsoft information. The upgrade is not available from Windows Update, nor can it be downloaded as a program or an .iso file from the web. I consider the upgrade a service pack, but Microsoft thinks otherwise.

I tried to get the upgrade from the App Store, but was told I was not connected to the internet (?). I found out the problem was I had never created a Microsoft account, so I had to do this. To get this account you need to provide name, date of birth, and E-mail address, to get a security/confirmation code.

After this I could start the online upgrade, and after finishing I had to log onto my computer using my new Microsoft login. My old login no longer worked. This login also logged me onto my newly created Microsoft account. I then had to configure my computer, especially with regards to the Microsoft account. I disabled some tracking services and the cloud drive.

After restart my computer would no longer boot directly to the desk top, but to the Metro UI. Somehow the "Classic Shell" feature to boot directly to the desktop had been disabled. I found out how to log on to a local account in stead of the Microsoft account. I was told that by doing so, I would have to log in to my Microsoft account if I wanted to use the App Store and other services. Yes and so what? Did I put a spanner into the works to Big Brother?
After backing up my SSD OS and files I took the plunge into upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1. First there was a Windows Update file that needed to be installed in order to get the 8.1 update which is found in the Apps Store rather than Windows Update as you had said. I do not have a Microsoft account, at least that I can remember but was able to download and install 8.1 UNTIL I got to the MS Account sign in window at the end of the install. Unable to go further and not wanting to sign up for a MS account I backed out of the upgrade. On reboot, Windows 8 was restored.

I then looked up "Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade Microsoft Account" and found the following instructions on how to log on to Windows 8.1 using a local account instead of a Microsoft Account. The instructions detail how to do this during the install of 8.1 as well ass after you have installed 8.1 so that you can revert back to a local account log on. I imagine you have already done this but the following may help others DURING the install as well as after.

Also, MS states that the downloaded ~3.5 GB for the installation of Windows 8.1 will be deleted. this is not enitirely true. I have an SSD I use for the OS and applications and have been told that when something is deleted, ie not in the Recycle Bin, then it will be gone without ability of recovery due to the nature of garbage collection / trim with SSD drives. I found Windows 8.1 installation files but clicking on Setup or the executable file gives an error of a missing file. I'm sure someone will figure out how to deploy the 8.1 upgrade via flash drive or DVD soon if not already.

I am going to redo the upgrade now that I understand the process and workarounds better.

BTW, I did leave my printer on during the upgrade process. We'll see if that makes a difference in it remaining installed.

Also, just to let you know, I successfully printed on a disk! :ya

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
For the record, I've been on XP forever! A year ago I got a new PC with Windows 7 and gave it all I could for 8 months and eventually went back to XP. See, I love change as much as the next guy. ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
For the record, I've been on XP forever! A year ago I got a new PC with Windows 7 and gave it all I could for 8 months and eventually went back to XP. See, I love change as much as the next guy. ;)

Gee Rob, your starting to sound like the rest of us auld farts.. :old :lol:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi stratman

Thanks for the techrepublic link and other info, I think it is very good reading for those who intend to upgrade to Win 8.1. I found out the procedure to restore my old local account login by trial and error, but it would have been easier had I known this.

Glad to hear that you managed to enable CD printing, I would like some info such as which driver you used, from Windows Update or from Canon UK? and if the driver was from Windows Update, how did it cooperate with the driver add-on-module? Could you please post the info here: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/reinstalling-canon-printers-after-a-win-8-1-upgrade.8255/ or in a new thread in the Canon printer forum.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
I tried Windows 8.1 also: HP does provide driver for HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525 for Win 8.1 64-bit. After install, I can see and use my printer in programs, in Device Manager, but in "Devices and Printer" my printer disappear! I need to open HP software, from there I can go adjust the preferences...
Anyway, I admit that Win 8.1 is ~30% faster on my computer. It would be much faster if I can have SSD + UEFI + GPT...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Anyway, I admit that Win 8.1 is ~30% faster on my computer. It would be much faster if I can have SSD + UEFI + GPT...
UEFI is the BIOS. The UEFI certainly speeds up booting as does an SSD drive (the most important component to a fast boot). I am unaware of GPT faster than traditional MBR, at least documentation on this. I have read some opinions that state this.

Be careful -- A GPT formated hard drive can only be read by certain OS, so if you want Windows XP, for instance, to read the drive then you will be out of luck. GPT is primarily useful in real world application for drives and/or partitions greater than 2.2 TB. Booting from a GPT formated disk can be easy, problematic, or incapable depending on your BIOS/UEFI and OS: http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/booting.html.

In a nutshell, you should have a UEFI enabled motherboard if you want to use a GPT formatted drive, especially for booting and do not plan to use that drive with certain earlier Windows OS's.

IMO, there is little compelling reason at this time to use GPT with an SSD drive, or any drive 2.2 TB and lower except for certain RAID/Dynamic Disk configurations.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Glad to hear that you managed to enable CD printing, I would like some info such as which driver you used, from Windows Update or from Canon UK? and if the driver was from Windows Update, how did it cooperate with the driver add-on-module?
I did not keep record of precisely what i did, so the following is from memory.

A) The MP830 already had the critical step of changing the USA firmware to European (Britain).

B) The files used for my MP830's installation on Windows 8.x Pro 64-bit OS were:

1) eppx-win-4_1_6-en.exe
2) md64-win-mp830-1_12-ej.exe
3) mpnmp830win222ea13.exe
4) mypr-win-3_1_0-ea11_2.exe

I would upload these files here but they would be ~83 MB.

C) The installation process was as followed after the down load of the above files.

1) Turn on printer and then boot computer. Windows found the printer and installed some driver such that I could print but I did not see the printer in Devices and Printers panel

2) Installed files 1-3 from B. Printer now seen in the devices and Printers panel. General functions of the printer tested except for Disk printing. Unfortunately I did not look to see if this function was enabled at this stage.

3) (Days later) I installed the final file #4 as you had recommended for disk printing. I selected European/British subject instead of USA citizen in case this was needed to access disk printing since USA printer models are not ready for disk printing out of the box. At this point I used Acoustica CD Label Maker, found and selected Printable Media from Media Type in the Properties window of the Print window. Without further ado, I printed text on a disk without problem.

4) I uninstalled file #4 using Total Unistall and the Printable Media selection was still available. Maybe this file is not needed to enable disk printing selection but as I didn't check for this option earlier in my installation process I will not know for sure.

The MP830 installed flawlessly under Windows 8. Now to see if it continues to perform as expected under Windows 8.1.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks for the details about the install.

I guess you downloaded the files from the Canon UK site? The aomwin110ea23.exe add-on-module was not needed? Maybe it is only needed if you get your driver(s) from Windows Update?

When I reinstalled my printers after the Win 8.1 upgrade, I did not need this file as the iP5200 was not deleted, and it is capable of CD printing. I thought the add-on-module was to be run after each plug-and-play install of a CD print capable printer, but it seems one install will do.

This screen dump was made after my reinstall, click to enlarge:

CDLabelprint.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I cannot find a record of aomwin110ea23.exe being installed, either in Total Uninstall or Windows' Programs and Features. I must have missed installing it although i do have it saved on the hard drive.

Maybe because I already set up the printer to print on disks and that I used files DL'ed from European Canon web site that installation of the above named file was not necessary.

I do not use Canon's CD-Label Print. I use Acoustica CD Label Maker for printing on disks. Everything seems to work as expected for the single disk I have printed on so far.

Latest posts