Windows 10 Free Update Offer

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
My upgrade story:

- upgraded the processor of my 6 years old Dell Inspiron 545 (Q9400 Quad core io E5300 Duo, €35 on eBay) and 2 extra GB to the max of 8GB, passmark doubled to 3600
- upgraded the Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit to Win 10 Pro just before the november update, after reinstalling quite some applications and drivers, stable operation
- never been able to install the november update, after trying to solve different error reasons (among them a too small MBR partition wich I could extend using Partition Magic 9), I decided to do a fresh installation
- installed Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (and all my software again :eek:), everything is fine now

My temporary conclusions:

- upgrading an existing installation is cumbersome, the only good solution is a fresh install (but you only can do this after you did the upgrade :()
- same applies IMO to disc cloning
- Samsung Magician 4.9 is compatible with Win 10, among a lot of non relevant utilities it has tuning functions and Rapid mode (a kind of cache I think since its needs minimum 4GB RAM)
- Win 10 is a more consistent version of Win 8.1
- my mobo has no AHCI mode, but this still enables TRIM (and an efficient use of the SSD)
- 8GB is plenty enough for Lightroom
- SSD's do not seem to last forever
- unless your computer is a total mess, adding an SSD does not speed up too much an old computer, hibernation mode is trick that speeds startup
- I'll wait to upgrade my Win 7 laptop to Win 10 (and certainly not place an SSD)

Happy Newyear

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
The free Win 10 upgrade will presumably run out some time this summer (2016). Several members have helpfully described their experiences of the upgrade and many of us will need to make the decision whether we take advantage of the free upgrade or wait for the end of life dates and pay for an upgrade.

It may be helpful to collect together all the pro and cons of the upgrade process. Are the concerns about the invasive data collection attributed to Win 10 valid? Etc. etc. Are the benefits of Win 10 real?

Now that some water has flowed under the bridge, any concise comments from experienced users of Win 10 would be helpful, to the sceptics! (or skeptics if you are in the US).:)

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
The free Win 10 upgrade will presumably run out some time this summer (2016). Several members have helpfully described their experiences of the upgrade and many of us will need to make the decision whether we take advantage of the free upgrade or wait for the end of life dates and pay for an upgrade.

It may be helpful to collect together all the pro and cons of the upgrade process. Are the concerns about the invasive data collection attributed to Win 10 valid? Etc. etc. Are the benefits of Win 10 real?

Now that some water has flowed under the bridge, any concise comments from experienced users of Win 10 would be helpful, to the sceptics! (or skeptics if you are in the US).:)

This is a good idea. Ideally should be a new thread clearly titled so we can evaluate the replies easily.

rs

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
Let they celebrate themselves I can't see anything good in W10, contain many ways related to do same job its fail.:somad
Windows 10 is a mobile phone or a laptop not a PC. Is ugly, flat and with spam in everywhere..

Last edited:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Let they celebrate themselves I can't see anything good in W10, contain many ways related to do same job its fail.:somad
Windows 10 is a mobile phone or a laptop not a PC. Is ugly, flat and with spam in everywhere..

That is quite possible but we need to be sure. No advantage in throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

rs

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
That is quite possible but we need to be sure. No advantage in throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

rs
When MS recommended update also for free for second time or tell you its more safe than W7 then this baby very dirty he can't be clean hahahah he will be in bath all the time .. :)

Last edited: