The Win 10 upgrade, Experiences Please..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I will probably go for the Win 10. O/S this year, but it will not be an upgrade, I reckon I’ll do a complete fresh install, as I did with Win 7.. :eek:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don't think I would need Win10 on my existing hardware, I'm not aware of any additional functions and features over Win 7 or Win 8 I would consider attractive enough for a change - at this time. If I consider new hardware - whatever - in x years it'll run Win10 anyway. But I'm more concerned about some application software which may not run under Win7 anymore if and when they update to new versions or releases in a
few years. So I bought a cheap Win 7 (Prof) key, mirrored the existing system onto another disk, reactivated that version with this new key, did an upgrade from the home to the professional version and updated that system to Win10, so if I would need a Win10 system whenever (on the existing hardware), I have a licensed version available. If not I write off those 20 Euros, that's cheaper than buying a new Win10 full license later.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I upgraded from WIN 8.1 Pro, it was stable but after a while updates could not be installed.
So I did a new install, 100% smooth and stable since then.

Since you need to do an upgrade first (the price of free :)), you better do not lose time to clean up your PC before.
I did not find any program/device not compatible with WIN10.

Performance is very good on my old hardware (Dell Inspiron 545 2009).

After all I am very positive.

nrdlnd

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
This was up in an earlier thread. Be aware that "Big Brother" spy's on you! https://www.google.com/search?q=win...e=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=win+10+information+sharing
If you take all possible steps to avoid this and don't let Microsoft do automatic updates it may be ok. An update destroyed my computer (made the keyboard unusable) but I managed to back the updates and restore it. I do also use the app "Classic Shell" to make it look more like Win 7. I have still one computer I'm not yet prepared to update. It's the one I do my photographic work on and that's connected to my printer. I may try to print with one of the already upgraded computers and see if it works ok then I may do the upgrade. For regular work I use Linux anyway. It works much better without a lot of unnecessary "lull-lull"!

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Why be so paranoiac, Big Brother knows everything from you anyway.
Maybe Microsoft keeps track of your negative messages and will wreck your computer on purpose so you retire on your Linux island and they've got rid of you ;).

Never understood why WIN7 should be better than later versions.
Except for printers - as we all know - there is no reason to believe new things are de facto worse :cool:.

Of coarse most privacy settings are off on my PC.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sadly enough I had to reinstall my Windows 10 last week since it refused to boot (winload.exe corrupt).
I booted with the USB stick and couldn't come out of it.
Couldn't restore from my backup since the System Reserved Partition was locked.
Since I never used Bitlocker I didn't understand.

Googling gave no clear solution how to come out, so I reinstalled without the Reserved Partition (seems to be necessary only for Bitlocker).

Works again but one of 2 times the boot hangs, so I have to retry.
I still have an unused space before my C: boot partition.
Could this be the reason and should I expand the boot partition to the left ?

Some USB troubles appeared also I never had before ( USB3 external disk not always recognized on an USB2 connection).

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
In view of the imminence of end of the free upgrade to WIN10, I decided I would have to make an effort to install it onto one of my two Samsung SSDs. I have a 250GB and a 500GB drive. I thought I would leave my existing setup with WIN7 on the 500GB and clone this also to the 250GB. I planned to experiment with the 250 and WIN10, but keep the 500 safe with WIN7.

I then tried the WIN10 upgrade on the 250GB and as expected came up with the "Cannot adjust the reserve partition" error. According to various posts on the web, this is a problem with Samsung SSDs, which are setup with a 100MB reserve partition, which while adequate for WIN7, is not enough for WIN 10, which requires about 400MB to be on the safe side.

I installed AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition 6.0, which is a free download from the web and shifted the main NTFS C: drive partition downstream by about 300MB and extended the first "DATA" partition, (the reserve partion) by about 300MB, i.e. from about 100 to 400MB.

I then proceeded to install the WIN10 upgrade, after a number of errors and repeated Windows updates, WIN 10 installed and performs.

The only rather strange aspect of the exercise is that there is now an additional partition of 400MB which has appeared between the main partition and the Samsung "unallocated space" (used to improve the longevity of the Samsung SSD), which was not there when I started the WIN10 download and the data area, at the first partition, has very little in it. Not right but it works. All the previous content seems to be present except "C Cleaner" which has vanished!!

The SSD looks like this currently:-

Partitions.jpg

Later:- 25th April 2016
A second attempt this time on the 500GB Samsung SSD produced the correct partition structure of three partitions, without the superfluous 400MB partition, as below

Drive layout.jpg

WIN 10 downloaded successfully onto this disk.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have a 10 year old P4 computer that I had installed W7 on, after Win XP was no longer supported. I never got an offer to upgrade to W10, but I found a program from Microsoft "GetWindows10-sds". Running this program started the download of W10, and I could install W10 32 bit. The PC is not fast but it works, in fact I think it works better with Win 10 than it did with W7.

After I had installed W7 I installed Linux Mint and let the Linux install program split the 500GB harddisk into two halves for Linux and Windows. IIRC the W7 partition was 250 GB and Linux was a larger and a smaller partition totalling the rest of the disk, meaning three partitions total.

After the upgrade to W10 I now have four partitions one of which is a restore partition (in Danish: Genoprettelsespartition) of 449 MB. It seems W10 needs a such partition. Here is a cropped screen shot form Windows 10 disk management:

Disk W10-Linux.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
now an additional partition of 400MB which has appeared between the main partition and the Samsung "unallocated space" (used to improve the longevity of the Samsung SSD), which was not there when I started the WIN10 download and the data area, at the first partition, has very little in it. Not right but it works.
It is "right". I was talking to my brother last night about his experiences with upgrading to Windows 10 from both Win 7 and Win 8.x. The new partitions of Windows 10 are intended by MS and appear on all the machines (6 or 7 including an Asus T-100 Transformer pad, notebooks and desktops from various retailers) that he has upgraded.

He turned off all the phone-home settings, did a few customizations, like getting rid on the new "personal assistant" which seemed better than "Clippy" but of no use to him. He thinks Win 10 is rock solid and better than Win 7.

Two problems he encountered were a known cursor issue with some versions of MS Word which he fixed, and a problem wirelessly connecting from his computer to an HP printer elsewhere in the house. It works for all other computers in the house but stopped working for him after after awhile. Uninstalling, cleaning files and registry, and reinstalling did not resolve the problem. Funny thing, he checked it again while we were on the phone to tell me the error screen and, wouldn't you know it, the printer worked perfectly! Maybe a subsequent update in Windows fixed the issue?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
All the posts I have seen indicate a need for the first reserve partition to be enlarged to about 400MB to accommodate WIN10, until that is done WIN10 throws up the reserve partition error on Samsung SSDs, mine is only using 26MB, less than it was before the upgrade, but at least WIN10 is working well!! It solved the problem.

Latest posts