Why I have given up on vacuum refilling.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Before the German method of refilling Canon BCI cartridges was known, I gave up on the normal way of refilling which was to make a refill hole in the top of the reservoir that has to be securely plugged up after refilling.

Instead, I refilled large numbers of cartridges at one time using a vacuum technique which you can read about here:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/vacuum-fill-canon-cartridges.php

I continued to use this method to refill after the German method was discovered because I thought it would have the advantage of eliminating the need to purge cartridges that would no longer flow, presumably because of air or dried ink embedded in the sponge material. I thought the vacuum would get rid of the trapped air and the flow of ink through the sponge material on its way to the reservoir would effectively purge the sponge material automatically.

This proved not to be the case. My last vacuum refilling exercise was for about 35 BCI-3eBk cartridges refilled with Inktec pigment black ink. Unlike my previous refillings in which I used virgin cartridges (those that had never been refilled), I used cartridges that I had previously refilled and were now empty. When I got done, I tested each cartridge by putting it in my MP760 and running the scanner with the scanner cover open which should produce a solid black printout. About half the cartridges worked perfectly but the other half had what look like ink flow problems. Try as I may, I could not get any of these cartridges to work correctly. So now I know that vacuum refilling will not rejuvenate a cartridge, at least not one filled with pigment ink.

As a side note: I had left these 17 cartridges sitting with their outlet ports untaped because I would periodically test them but to my surprise, the ink level in all the reservoirs went down at a very rapid rate. In just a few months, the ink was all gone. This was not from printing anything. I figured that the outlet ports provide a good evaportation site and the ink inside the sponges now must be super concentrated. I'll never do that again. Don't leave your cartridges unprotected if you plan to use them again.

Now I'm switching over to refilling via the German method. I've only done a few so far because I still have a large number of cartridges still left from vacuum refilling.

One of the other reasons I like the German method is that it doesn't get ink in the air vent serpentine path or in the wells along that path. It is a lot of work to clear the ink out of there but now I don't have to do that with the German method.

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hi from India,

I have found that the most effective refill method is usually a combination of different methods.
Different methods of refilling have their own merits , if we were to club the advantages we normally arrive at the combination of methods that is workable in different given circumstances.

I personally have found that effective cleaning of sponge results in opening the majority of head clogs too and than subsequent reill under vacuum gives the best result. Would love to hear about your experience on the same.

Rgds,

Jasii

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I found that refilling OEM BCI-3eBk Pigmented ink black cartridges can only be done once or twice. I think the pigment in the ink clogs the sponge and you will end up with ink flow problems after the second or third refill. I ended up getting new BCI-3eBk cartridges from Hobbicolors and their Black Pigmented ink. I haven't had any problems since.
I've refilled the cartridge four times with no flow problems.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The easiest and the best method is the traditional method to refill from the top of reservoir tank. The German method is too slow for me. If I try to be faster ink would spill out. That's a pain in the axx. I followed the instruction from Hobbicolors. The little plugs they sell are great. I can refill a BCI-6 in 2 minutes with no spill and no mess. I do it in 3 steps. I fill the reservoir with 6 ml of ink first. The sponge will absorb ink immediately from the reservoir. The reservoir will be half full when the sponge is filled up by absorbing ink. The next step is to cover the vent with my thumb while my index finger and my thumb work like a clamp to hold the cartridge. Finally I filled up the reservoir tank with another 2 - 3 ml and plug the hole with the little plug.

My cartridges refilled this way are almost completely full in the reservoir tank and the sponge is about half full. I rarely needed to milk the sponged chamber. I have tried the German method before. I did not find it any easier. I know. The effectiveness of the plug is the key. Those plugs from Hobbicolors simply do the job flawlessly. My cartridges never leaked.

If you like the German method I will say go for it. It works just fine. I am completely sold to the traditional method and it really works great too. I have refilled my ip8500 this way for about 5 years now.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you refill Canon original cartridges, you have to remove the tape to uncover the ball that plugs the refill hole on top of the reservoir, and you have to remove the ball or shove it into the reservoir OR you have to drill another hole in the top of the reservoir AND you have to get some good plugs that must form a perfect seal.

So, if you take two virgin Canon cartridges and give them to someone who has never refilled before and you measure how long it takes to refill one of them using the traditional method versus how long it takes to refill the other one using the German method, the German method will win hands down.

Furthermore, if you follow the procedure that I recommend which is to not bother with spare refilled cartridges but rather remove a cartridge from the printer as soon as the reservoir is empty and refill it with the German method and put it back in the printer, then I believe that process will be much faster than the traditional method, simply because you don't have to bother with the extra steps of capping the outlet port and removing and re-installing the plug. You don't even have to wear gloves.

But for the experts that are already using the traditional method, or any other method, continue. I'm simply trying to help the novices. The German method is far easier, faster, cleaner, more convenient and cheaper than the any other method.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
If you refill Canon original cartridges, you have to remove the tape to uncover the ball that plugs the refill hole on top of the reservoir, and you have to remove the ball or shove it into the reservoir OR you have to drill another hole in the top of the reservoir AND you have to get some good plugs that must form a perfect seal.
No, you don't do it that way. That is why you have difficulties to refill the traditional way. It is beyond me why people want to tamper with the original ball seal and make life miserable. You are right that you have to drill a new hole, which is so easy and works perfectly. The plugs I got from Hobbicolors are exactly for doing that and they work perfectly. I have used screws before. I have tried the German method too. Neither of them is easier than drilling a small hole through that thin layer of plastic on the top of the reservoir and use the plug that fits just right. To unplug the plug it takes almost no effort either. If you never did it this way you really have no idea how easy it is.

ghwellsjr said:
So, if you take two virgin Canon cartridges and give them to someone who has never refilled before and you measure how long it takes to refill one of them using the traditional method versus how long it takes to refill the other one using the German method, the German method will win hands down.
This is really just your opinion. It is not any easier for a newbie to be free of fear from drilling on the side near the bottom of the cartridge and stick a long needle to pierce through the sponge inside. If you are to drill a hole drill it at the top of the reservoir. It is equally easy if you think about drilling the cartridge. It does work fine. But it is not easier in my own experience. If you tamper with the original ball seal yes you will have leaks and all kinds of problems. But if you use a plug that does the job you will not have any problems in a long run and it wil be a lot easier to refill this way.

ghwellsjr said:
then I believe that process will be much faster than the traditional method,
Believe me, it is absolutely not faster. One of the advices for the German method is to inject ink slowly, or ink will spill out through the hole you drill or the vent at the top. There was a post some time ago that suggested to insert two needles, the 2nd one for releasing air. That's way too much trouble to do. If I want to be fast I can refill the traditional way in less than 1 minute.

ghwellsjr said:
I'm simply trying to help the novices. The German method is far easier, faster, cleaner, more convenient and cheaper than the any other method.
The German method is not easier, nor faster. It 's absolutely not cheaper. It has nothing to do with cost. I am sorry to have an opposite opinion than yours. I am speaking of my experience as a novice in the past and today. Just thought I share my experience with everyone.

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Takes me 10 seconds to fill a cartridge using the German method. Are you sure you're inserting the needle correctly? If you don't insert it all the way to the prism you will have the problems you describe.

I've tried the "traditional way" and tried the German method. At first, it just didn't go smoothly, however, once you understand just exactly where the needle needs to be the German method is the clear winner.

With your method, the fact that you have to cover the outlet port while filling through the reservoir is what makes this method slow and messy. The minute you pull that plug off the refill hole, it becomes a leaky mess.

With the German method, i pick the cartridge up, slide the needle to the prism and inject the ink. I don't have to fumble (you ever lose track of a plug after you've injected the ink?) with plugs, or worry about an improper seal.

(this happened a lot to me, nothing like seeing the contents of an entire cartridge worth of ink in your printer because the plug didn't make a perfect seal.)

The German method is wildly popular for a reason. It works. With squeeze bottles and the German method, if I was neat enough I could get away without wearing gloves.

The only time I could see your method working, is by refilling in place, though I don't know how that would work the minute you undo the refill plug.

Sorry, it is absolutely faster. .

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
That's insanely fast. Unfortunately, I don't believe it.

I admit I have to keep an eye on the plug. It could be no where to be found if one lost his/her mind for a second even it is not moved and has stayed there all the time. By the way, when I refilled with the German method I did it in less than 1 minute too. I still prefer the traditional way. I do not wear gloves, I do use a orange cap and a rubber band. Never had any problems. If you can't handle it this way you can do it in 10 seconds with the German method. The plugs I use do make a perfect seal every time.

nanosec said:
The only time I could see your method working, is by refilling in place,
You are wrong. That's not how it is done. It is easy and it works.

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
nche11 said:
That's insanely fast. Unfortunately, I don't believe it..
As tempted as I am to go and film myself refilling a cartridge, I'm not. I can't understand what's so hard to believe?
Takes me 2 seconds to insert needle, 8 seconds to send ink into cartridge. Not hard to do, if the needle is slid home all the way to the prism and backed off just a hair to allow for flow.

In the end I guess it's whatever works best for you, but you'll definately not make any believers from people successfully using the German method.