Why clear cartridges on the Canon Pro-100?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
For years now, Canon has introduced opaque cartridges on all their new models. With the introduction of the newer Pro-100 and Pro-10, we see them having the same bodies of the older 3 generation old, CLI-8 and the on the Pro-10 the same bodies as the Pro9500.
This might seem odd and completely opposite to what was happening on the smaller printers. Why?

Reason: Tooling costs. These printers are expected to be only a FRACTION of the volume of the AIO desktop models and the cost to make new cartridge bodies was simply not justified from a purely economic basis. So they just reused the old tooling...to save costs. Similar story on the old 9500 chips and coding time.

Furthermore, Canon appears to be caught flat footed on the pricing on the Pro-100. Epson had slowly aggressively priced the 1430 down to the $200 street price level at the same time Canon introduced the Pro-100 at the $400 level and $500 (Canada). Hence the rebates to keep the goods moving.

There appears to be a price war between the 1430 and Pro-100. This might have been started when Canon was pushing out old stock of the Pro9000MKII.

One has to wonder how long this will last, who's going to give in? ....in the meantime. Take advantage of the feud if you need either one of these.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Mike I wonder could you strongly recommend to Canon Inc. to take their price war across the pond,
because we sure would love to join in and support Canon in this their hour of need,
(Just in for the money).. :celebrate

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
On Monday morn, I'll gather up a conference call to all the reporting divisions of Canon and give them marching orders to proceed to do so.
No problem. I'll also instruct them that this guy called HAT needs a lifetime supply of printers so he can be a beta tester. You're now in charge of telling what features to put in so that refilling is a breeze.
Now just pour a cup of hot tea, a few biscuits and wait for the call from Canon.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
LOL! One can only wish! How is The Hat going to find time to do anything else once the printers start pouring in?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
jtoolman said:
LOL! One can only wish! How is The Hat going to find time to do anything else once the printers start pouring in?
You assume he has a life don't you?

This may be your first mistake ;)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Are you saying Hat breathes, eats and sleeps printers?
That's sounds like my MO.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Is the gray scale mode so much better compared to Pro 9000 with good profile?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jtoolman said:
Are you saying Hat breathes, eats and sleeps printers?
That's sounds like my MO.
Joe you missed one, and reproduces them, count now up to eleven and growing.. :hugs

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if there are ever going to be any rebates on the PRO-100 in Canada as we can see in the US. I would love to have a backup for my aging IP4500! Right now, if I had to buy a new printer, I would probably get an Epson 1430, because of the price.

Mikling, you're in Toronto, no? I think you purchased one of the PRO models from the US at a good price? How did you do this?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
My sister travels to visit her son, my nephew. She brings it back for me but it takes up her whole trunk!

Henry's had a $100 rebate from Canon but that was the best that I could see up here.