Which SSD to buy?

SkedAddled

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO-100, MG5320, Xerox 6027
It looks like the eSATA port connects directly to a SATA port on the MB with a SATA cable and no converters to slow down the data transfer.
Yes, that's how eSATA was designed to operate.

If the motherboard supports it, it's a direct-connect option to SATA ports,
intended for hot-swapping of devices, most notably, hard and optical drives.
My tower system, which I built, has a front-panel eSATA connection,
as well as one on the rear. I've never used the connection.

With the USB infrastructure being so prevalent and common, most makers
of potential eSATA devices have chosen to concentrate on the evolving USB.
It makes good sense, actually, as eSATA is largely considered to be
a has-been technology, while the USB markret continues to evolve.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
WHY do you feel the need to 'benchmark' your stuff?
Dude, this is exactly a place where people love to test, compare, and improve on things.

If someone didn't do these things then we all might still be buying OEM inks, or not figured which aftermarket inks performed better, or not learned that the older Canon printers were easily modified to print on CD's way back when Canon told us we couldn't (due to intellectual property spat).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
it's just stupid-large compared to my system-mounted drive dock.
Sure, a hot swap drive would be fantastic. Maybe with my next build. Still, the Thermaltake docking station was great to have when I cloned a friends hard drive onto his new SSD. And it still does a fine job with my back ups.

What did you do to break yours? :eek:

SkedAddled

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO-100, MG5320, Xerox 6027
What did you do to break yours? :eek:
I did nothing,
other than inserting and removing drives as recommended by the instructional pamphlet.
The design failed me, not the operation.

Whether I received a product failed to doom or I misused it, I'll probably never know.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
It certainly does :). I had considered buying a new laptop, but now I will keep this old one. Thanks to the SSD and a fresh install of OS and programs it is even better than when it was new.

I have now installed Win 10 on a formatted HDD on another laptop that had previously ben running Win 7. I used the key from the Win 7 install, and Win 10 is activated, so it looks to be true that you can still upgrade Win 7 and 8.1 computers to Win 10 for free. That is good news for owners of Win 7 computers :), so thanks to @stratman and @SkedAddled for this very useful info.

I did the same a few months ago, even with the Win 7 key of another PC (for wich I bought a new Win8 PRO when they were offered very cheap, so this WIN 7 became "free" as I suppose).
IMO MS is very tolerant on this matter as long as they can win souls for WIN 10.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
And are trying to get all the stupid die hards away from XP… :mad:

I upgraded a laptop from 2008 to WIN 10, and it is faster than with XP, even without an SSD.
With €23 for a 120GB SSD, €12 for the fastest CPU from Aliexpress, and €7 I guess for 2GB extra RAM it is a very useable laptop on holiday. Don't have to worry it will be stolen ...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I upgraded a laptop from 2008 to WIN 10, and it is faster than with XP, even without an SSD.
:thumbsup

There is much to like about Windows 10. I believe it to be the best consumer OS from MS yet.

Latest posts