Which multi-function printer for easy refill?

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am been refilling my i865 for 9 years, refilling time is generally no longer than 10 min. for all carts, still working perfectly.

I got a multi function HP, I never succeeded to refill it, therefore I will ditch it.

I want to buy a basic multifunction printer from Canon that allows me to refill without any issues, even a model which is no longer in production, it doesn't matter, I just need the scanner most of the time.

I'd like one without chip and accepting empty carts to be refilled while sitting in the printer, as I do with my i865. I do not want to refill the genuine carts, waste of time, get good empty ones and you'll be fine for years.

Any suggestion to which model I should look at?

Thanks folks
Alex

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Unless you are willing to buy a Canon printer several years (and by that i mean likely older than 7 years) old then you will not get one with carts that have now chips. I personally would not buy a printer that old, unless by some miracle you can find a REAL refurbished model, which is unlikely (by that i mean had worn parts replaced not just a bit of a clean).

Models that use CLI-8 carts are good if you want to buy a used Canon printer (see canons website and cart range for list of printers that take these carts).

CLI-551 (or i think they are CLI-221 in your part of the world, i probably have this wrong but i know its different stateside) if you want a new printer.

Both cart types are chipped though. In the case of the CLI-8 they are easily reset with a cheap resetter and original carts refill over and over an over with no issues. In the case of CLI-551 (or whatever they are called in your part of the world) you can buy refill carts with auto reset chips.

I suggest you have a look on the http://www.precisioncolors.com/ website which is based in canada and ran by a member here called @mikling for an idea of what is available cart wise for modern printers and guides as to what is involved refilling them. He sells refill kits for both types of cart i mention.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
CakeHole said:
CLI-551 (or i think they are CLI-221 in your part of the world, i probably have this wrong but i know its different stateside) if you want a new printer.

Both cart types are chipped though. In the case of the CLI-8 they are easily reset with a cheap resetter and original carts refill over and over an over with no issues. In the case of CLI-551 (or whatever they are called in your part of the world) you can buy refill carts with auto reset chips.
I taught I better put you straight before professor @PeterBJ does it.

The carts in different regions vary little with their numbers like in the EU their 521/520 - 525/526 - 551/550

The same ones in the US are 221/220 - 225/226 - 251/250
So each region have their own particular cart numbers but only the first number changes for each cart..

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I know suggest an Epson WF printer and buy a set of refillable cartridges. Much easier as Canon is becoming more and more difficult to refill (booby traps in their latest cartridges with chip that are destroyed when removed).

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Keep the i865 and buy a stand-alone scanner...

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
I taught I better put you straight before professor @PeterBJ does it.

The carts in different regions vary little with their numbers like in the EU their 521/520 - 525/526 - 551/550

The same ones in the US are 221/220 - 225/226 - 251/250
So each region have their own particular cart numbers but only the first number changes for each cart..

I knew it was something like that, thanks for the correction :)

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback.

I had a look on the Internet and considering that the printer will be used as a second printer and as a scanner, it has to be a no frills one.

I found a good deal for a PIXMA MG5520 and according to http://www.precisioncolors.com they found a reliable set of empty carts to be refilled and reset.
Carts are: PGI250BK, CLI-251C,M,Y,BK

What do you think?

I also looked at some older printers but it's not easy to find good deals.

@pharmacist: I never had Epson before and for whatever reason I feel more comfortable to stay with Canon, perhaps because it's a brand I have always relied upon (also for cameras) since many many years. :)

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I'd like one without chip and accepting empty carts to be refilled while sitting in the printer, as I do with my i865. I do not want to refill the genuine carts, waste of time, get good empty ones and you'll be fine for years.

Any suggestion to which model I should look at?

I have never heard of refilling Canon Carts while in-place in the printer. That implies you are "Top-filling". Removing the plug on the ink revervoir would cause major leakage out the printhead, IMO.

Anyone else do this??

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback.

I had a look on the Internet and considering that the printer will be used as a second printer and as a scanner, it has to be a no frills one.

I found a good deal for a PIXMA MG5520 and according to http://www.precisioncolors.com they found a reliable set of empty carts to be refilled and reset.
Carts are: PGI250BK, CLI-251C,M,Y,BK

What do you think?

I also looked at some older printers but it's not easy to find good deals.

@pharmacist: I never had Epson before and for whatever reason I feel more comfortable to stay with Canon, perhaps because it's a brand I have always relied upon (also for cameras) since many many years. :)

The pixma MG 5xxx series and up seem to be the ones with separate carts for all colours along with the IP 7xxx series and up. Not sure about the MX and MP series i think that depends on region, though its normally the mid range and up, no Canon AFAIK has separate ink carts on the bottom end range anymore.

I have never heard of refilling Canon Carts while in-place in the printer. That implies you are "Top-filling". Removing the plug on the ink revervoir would cause major leakage out the printhead, IMO.

Anyone else do this??

Ive seen that done and described in some youtube videos, i personally would not do it though, there is too much risk you would end up with a puddle off ink in the printer. Also with the latest Canon ARC i think you have to actually remove the cart for it to reset the ink level, dont think the latest reset just through power cycling the printer now.

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi turbguy,

I confirm I've been doing this for 9 years with my i865, so far I only changed two sets of carts.
The ink reservoir has a refill hole which is also the air intake, therefore I can top-refill while the carts are in the printer.
There is a plug in the sponge part which is alway in, the atmospheric pressure pushed down on the ink from the refill hole.

Alex