Which multi-function printer for easy refill?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Hi turbguy,

I confirm I've been doing this for 9 years with my i865, so far I only changed two sets of carts.
The ink reservoir has a refill hole which is also the air intake, therefore I can top-refill while the carts are in the printer.
There is a plug in the sponge part which is alway in, the atmospheric pressure pushed down on the ink from the refill hole.

Alex
Huh? That sounds the exact opposite of what I expected. The "sponge-side" of a Canon cart, as manufactured, has an intentional air vent that MUST be open to atmosphere during printing...and the Ink Reservoir MUST be sealed air tight!

...unless I'm missing something....

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Some refill carts have plugs for ink reservoir side and vent side, i still would not top them up while in the printer though, even if you plug off the vent hole, it still runs the risk of leaking, especially when you have finished filling and re-remove the plug vent side to continue.

Ive seen it done on youtube with some refillable canon carts and i cringe every time. Its just asking for trouble.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I remember a very old thread about some aftermarket refillable cartridges for Canon. These cartridges had removable plugs over both the ink reservoir and over the sponge. So @Metallo which cartridges do you use? If they are not Canon OEM, could you upload a scan or photo or a link?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi turbguy,

I confirm I've been doing this for 9 years with my i865, so far I only changed two sets of carts.
The ink reservoir has a refill hole which is also the air intake, therefore I can top-refill while the carts are in the printer.
There is a plug in the sponge part which is alway in, the atmospheric pressure pushed down on the ink from the refill hole.

Alex
Could these ColorBAT cartridges be those you are using? They seem to fit your description.

On a Canon OEM cartridge unplugging the fill hole on the ink reservoir will cause leaking if the ink outlet is not sealed. So Canon OEM cartridges should not be refilled in the printer.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Here is an example of the type of Youtube video i cringe at....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY5Y0hoq564

Ok its edible ink and sponge free carts but i doubt that makes a difference, doing that is asking for ink to wee wee all inside your printer IMO.

The dumbest thing is they have to half remove the cart to reset the chip anyway so how much time are they actually saving Vs potential mess. Just not worth it.

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I confirm the carts I use are the ones of Colorbat. @PeterBJ thanks for the link, I could no longer find it :)
They are exceptionally good in quality and so easy to re-fill, I purchased a good number of them thinking I might need for replacement in the future, but if it continues like this, I'm afraid the printer mechanic will fail before the carts.

In my post #7 I asked your opinion on the PIXMA MG5520 and the set of empty carts to be refilled and reset sold by http://www.precisioncolors.com
Carts are: PGI250BK, CLI-251C,M,Y,BK

Anybody has tried those carts yet?

Thank you
Alex

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Precisioncolors is a good vendor.

While I don't have experience with those particular carts, I can say I have been satisfied with everthing I have purchased from them...

I doubt they would sell any item that does not perform as intended. If they do, it has been proven they make things right!

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
If @mikling thats the guy who is a member here that runs precisioncolors has tested those carts @Metallo you can good as guarantee they will work well. I think one of his webpages even mentions he tested various refillables before settling on selling the ones he does :)

I doubt you will have any issues if you use them with quality ink and follow any supplied instructions and if you do from what i have seen of @mikling posting on here he will happily assist with any issue you do have until its solved. If i was a Canadian i would not hesitate ordering from him.

Octoink for all us Europeans FTW and Precisioncolours for all of you on the other side of the pond FTW i say :)

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback, I will evaluate and decide...
Really what matters to me is the reliability of the carts, Canon printers and other brands are good in terms of quality.

Alex