Which Canon Printer to get?

burning

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
O-hello, Canon printer fanatics, I'm getting ready to purchase my first Canon printer, mainly for direct disc printing. In Canada, the Canon printers come with cd/dvd trays, unlike our counterparts in the USA. I have the option of purchasing the following models:

Pixma MG5220
PIXMA MG5320
PIXMA MG6120
and maybe some other models.

Looking for a printer up to $150 max, mainly for direct disc printer. What worries me the most, is the fact that some of these models only have 4 separate ink cartridges, as opposed to 6 with the epson artisan printer. Not sure how the print quality would be.......

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
For CD printing you don't need a printer with 6 colors of ink in 6 ink cartridges. Any Canon printer with a PGI-220 or PGI-225 and 4 CLI-221 or CLI-226 will be more than enough for printing CD/DVD. Canon printers are normally faster. They all have higher nozzle counts than Epson printers. That make them fast. The PGI cartridges are for printing black text. The CLI cartridges are for photos and graphics. If photo printing is also a significant part of your printing than get a Pro9000 MKII. It's a big printer but it is cheap. It has larger cartridges. It print photos every bit as good as Epson's high end R3880 and R3000. All these Canon printers use cheaper dye inks for colors. It is much cheaper for inks.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I'm also new to Canon and am thinking about switching from Epson printers to Canon. Since my wife is a retired artist,(Oil paintings, watercolor, etc) I want eventually to get her a printer capable of Gallery quality prints and was impressed by the reviews about the new Canon PRO1. I was told that this model as good as it is and user friendly, just might be more than we need and also that Canon is expected to broaden the PRO line with more affordable printers with many of the same capabilities but aimed at the homeowner/hobby types! I still have a few Epson printers in the box so I'll wait for now but I'd like to ask a few questions of you members that have used the Canon printers over the years. Am I correct is thinking Canon uses the thermal head techknowledgy? I have leaned toward the Epson Piezo head because many say they are much more forgiving of mistakes such as running dry on inks. That is not a deal breaker for me as I am usually very careful about watching ink levels. Also, are CIS tubing/bottle/systems available for Canon PRO printers or do owners need to stick to refillable cartridges? How about head life? Do they last as long as Epson? Thanks for any answers or advice! Outoftheinkwell

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Nothing on the PRO-1 yet as far a 3rd party ink set.
The PRO9000 and PRO9500MKIIs do have ink sets available for refilling.
CISS are not reccomended for Canons alhough in some case some folk have managed to make them work.
I would completely stay away from anyone claiming they have a CISS for the 9000 or 9500.
Most folks here refill their original OEM carts. It is the best way to go and the OEM carts will likely outlive the printer if you take care of them.
Yes the heads are thermal and will fry if you run them dry.
The 9000 and 9500 and likely the PRO-1 will hardly if ever clog from lack of use.
I run and refill both of my 9000 and 9500 MKII printers with great results.

Watch my refilling videos fon the 9500 MKII PGI-9 carts.

Grandexp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Why not Epson Pro series printers like R3000, R3880? Most pros seem go with Epsons.

M

macbroom

burning said:
O-hello, Canon printer fanatics, I'm getting ready to purchase my first Canon printer, mainly for direct disc printing. In Canada, the Canon printers come with cd/dvd trays, unlike our counterparts in the USA. I have the option of purchasing the following models:

Pixma MG5220
PIXMA MG5320
PIXMA MG6120
and maybe some other models.

Looking for a printer up to $150 max, mainly for direct disc printer. What worries me the most, is the fact that some of these models only have 4 separate ink cartridges, as opposed to 6 with the epson artisan printer. Not sure how the print quality would be.......
To swing this thread back from the pros and cons of $500 + pro photo printers to advise for the OP who is looking for a $150 printer:

I have two MG6120s and the disc and photo prints seem as good as my old Epson which had PM and PC inks. If you want to print lots of greyscale text with photos or B&W photo prints, I think that this printer would fit the bill with it's grey CLI 226 cart.

If you are not doing alot of greyscale or B&W photos the MG 5320 its pretty much the same printer without the grey cart. One less cart to refill and buy ink for.

Canon has a cool feature where you put the original CD in the scanner and can print out the copies of it completely using the screen on the printer. No computer needed.

The Canon CD print software is a bit Mickey Mouse but it works. I use Acoustica CD label print software instead as it has many more options and art.