Which all in one inkjet printer to buy that accepts compatible carts

olivisam

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have an old Epson Colour 880 that readily accepts very cheap non-Epson cartridges ( great!) but my all-in-one Dell Photo 926 fails to work and comes up with an "out of ink" message with anything other than original (very expensive) cartridges. Can someone please either:

Suggest how to bypass the "out of ink" message on my Dell
OR
Recommend an inexpensive, replacement all-in-one printer that is guaranteed to accept non-original cartridges. I hear that various Brother printers might be suitable eg DCP195C or DCP J315W.
I hope someone out there can help.

Regards,
JT

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Most of the compatible or remanufactured inkjet cartridges on the market DO work/print even though the "out of ink" message is shown.

olivisam

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Simon R,
It's not the "out of ink" message that really bothers me it's the fact that the printer just wont work, presumably because it thinks it's out of ink. Dell cartridges (very expensive) work ok. I guess I could try once more with a "compatible" and try some of the tricks I've seen described on this forum (powering off etc.).
JT

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Most newer Canon and Epson AIO printers are easily able to be refilled as with Canons and the Epsons will accept refilled 3rd part carts or your own refillable carts with 3rd party inks.

I have over 15 Epson and Canon printers and all can be ised with other than OEM carts and inks.

olivisam

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for that jtoolman. The printers you list are all rather more expensive (professional?) than I am interested in. However, it may mean that cheaper Epson and Canon printers might meet my requirements as far as the use of 3rd party carts or refiiling is concerned.
JT

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Sure the Epson Artisan and Workforce series should work for you. I am not sure just how cheap you are taking about.
The Canon experts here should be able to suggest a Canon whose OEM carts can be easily refilled and reset. STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP REFILLAZBLES for the Canon. OEM all the way.

There plently of great 3rd party carts for the Artisan and Workforce AIOs.

olivisam

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks,
I've just resurrected an old Laserjet 4L, put in a new cartridge which I have kept "just in case" for some years , bought a parallel to usb converter cable and hey presto its working so I can now play around with the Dell 926 at leisure. I've ordered some ink refil to see if I can get the Dell going at low cost. Will let you know how I get on.
JohnT

olivisam

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just an update on the Dell 926 refilling saga for anyone that's interested. I refilled the black cartridge with 20ml of ink bought from Tesco's (through a hole drilled in the top, as per instructions), sealed the hole with the original sticky label and an additional bit of tape, reinstalled and its working well despite registering as nearly empty. I will do the same with the colour cartridge when that becomes necessary.
JohnT

aschris

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
try this one, dell p703w i have been using htis and i think this may resolved your problem. hope that i have help.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The Artisan 725 is available right now for $99.00 in either black of white. This printer works well with refillable damper cartridges with the chip bar that tells the printer the dampers are full and good to go. I've been using mine now for going on a year and enjoy excellent full color pictures up to 8 and a half by 11 inches. I buy bottles of ink formulated for that printer for $5.50 per bottle and my source of choice also has inks that work well in this printer for $3.98 ( 120 mil bottles) . 240 mil bottles are $10,50 each! This printer has a built in scanner also! Hope this info helps. Outoftheinkwell.