What's causing this?

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
So, speed printing was the issue. Can you provide the link? That would be really helpful.

Thanks

Do you need the manual or the service program?
I'm not sure the specific one would work with your 1900, but if you are interested PM me and I can send it to you by email.

The service manual can be found online here:
www.timtaylor.net/ServiceManual-EPSON-R1900-R2000-R2880.pdf

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Here's a picture:
View attachment 872

If this is indeed related to the tubes flexing, shouldn't it happen during the whole length of the print? If I print an 80cm long image for example, it only happens for the first few inches, the rest is perfect...
I think your ink ribbon support is upside down as I've always had the ribbon holding slot on the top for the best smoothest operation. If it was flipped 180 degrees you would have a smother transition as the head went from left to right. Any roughness of travel due to constrictions of the riboon and it will cause all sorts of printing artifacts.

By the way, how is the resetting of the chips behaving? You have two push buttons right? Each button resetting 4 colors.
I had a similar system from the same company on of my R1900 and the chip reset process never worked and I think I know what I am doing. It locked up my printer with errors and I thought the printer was a goner. But after removing it and installing a full set of OEM carts all was fine again. Never went back to the IJC CISS. Hopefully they have improved the reset process on the R2000 CISS.

Joe

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
I think your ink ribbon support is upside down as I've always had the ribbon holding slot on the top for the best smoothest operation. If it was flipped 180 degrees you would have a smother transition as the head went from left to right. Any roughness of travel due to constrictions of the riboon and it will cause all sorts of printing artifacts.

By the way, how is the resetting of the chips behaving? You have two push buttons right? Each button resetting 4 colors.
I had a similar system from the same company on of my R1900 and the chip reset process never worked and I think I know what I am doing. It locked up my printer with errors and I thought the printer was a goner. But after removing it and installing a full set of OEM carts all was fine again. Never went back to the IJC CISS. Hopefully they have improved the reset process on the R2000 CISS.

Joe

The problem was resolved after running a Bi-D adjustment using the service program, so tubing wasn't causing this. I'm not sure how I could flip the tubes 180 degrees though, as they come from the right of the printer and reach the carriage from its left side. Turning them the other way round would cause them to twist one more time during the movement of the carriage than they do now.

As it turns out, there are two kinds of chip for the R2000. The ones I got from cityink can be reset at any time, whereas those I got with the CISS from inkjetcarts can only be reset when one of the four reaches the empty state. In both cases, the chips have to be reset while the carriage is on the cartridge change position, resetting them at any other time, even when the printer is off, results in errors following that or when turned back on.
The advantage of the first system is that you can reset all 8 once one of them goes empty. With the second system, you are having twice as much reset cycles, sometimes in close succession.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Weird. I thought IJC chip bank was "Reset All to Full". It was for the R1900.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Very late to this (Spotted it through the picture slideshow doobery that the forum has on the front page.)

Regarding flattening out the variance in volume caused by tube bending, etc... the solution there is actually air. Allowing a small amount of air to exist in the cartridge/buffer allows that same air bubble to compress and absorb the differences in pressure whereas the ink itself cannot. This is the reason that you should never purge out all the air in a CIS system..

It's moot given the solution discussed earlier but thought I'd chuck it in as a hard won bit of intel from years of CIS tomfoolery.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Do You have the latest Driver for the printer installed?
Cheers
Andrew

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Very late to this (Spotted it through the picture slideshow doobery that the forum has on the front page.)

Regarding flattening out the variance in volume caused by tube bending, etc... the solution there is actually air. Allowing a small amount of air to exist in the cartridge/buffer allows that same air bubble to compress and absorb the differences in pressure whereas the ink itself cannot. This is the reason that you should never purge out all the air in a CIS system..

It's moot given the solution discussed earlier but thought I'd chuck it in as a hard won bit of intel from years of CIS tomfoolery.

By way of a question on CISS

I am running a Rihac system on an Artisan 730 and due to lack of use the ink departed the carts back down the line to the supply res. Support advised to re prime the lines via carts, which i did. however, that created another issue in that the buffers in some colours where a vacuum created a suphon effect that actually syphoned ink back doen the line causing a malfunction, having started the syphon process it just went into a loop so every time I primed the carts and reinstalled the ink just ambled back down the line!!!!. Rihac's advice using a syringe to push the air out of the balance chambers and atmospheric pressure would take up and maintain the buffer as the feed lines travel.

Nozzle checks reveal misfire in one static and persistent over a week now and others random,

Is it possible , in your experience to push too much air out of the balance chambers, as it seems to imply in your post? or will the buffer take care of that itself via atmospheric pressure??

Cheers,

Andrew

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hi Andrew,

It's probably me not having had my morning cup of tea or lack of sleep but I'm not entirely following your explanation of the issue so bear with me if I get some of this wrong.

...due to lack of use the ink departed the carts back down the line to the supply res.
Ok, first things first.. if ink is migrating back towards the reservoirs then you have an air leak at the cartridge/buffer end of things. Usually it's the rubber bung in the top, near the chipset. Replacing this would be a good idea.

Support advised to re prime the lines via carts, which i did.
Can you specify how you re-prime the carts? Is it by removing the bungs, sticking a luer slip into the hole and pulling back until ink flows into the syringe?
..Or..
Are you sticking a thin sharp needle into the bung and drawing back until ink flows?

If it's the latter, you will definitely need to replace the rubber bungs as this approach only ever works once. Repeated perforation of the bungs degrades the bungs ability to re-seal and you just have a huge air leak.

however, that created another issue in that the buffers in some colours where a vacuum created a suphon effect that actually syphoned ink back doen the line causing a malfunction, having started the syphon process it just went into a loop so every time I primed the carts and reinstalled the ink just ambled back down the line!!!!.
In light of all I've just said, it does sound like your cartridge system is compromised and it's not a syphon effect so much as the CIS loop is leaking which means the ink only has one way it can go (back to the reservoirs).

Rihac's advice using a syringe to push the air out of the balance chambers and atmospheric pressure would take up and maintain the buffer as the feed lines travel.
That won't help if there's an air leak.

Nozzle checks reveal misfire in one static and persistent over a week now and others random
Chances are high that your internal CIS system is now full of air bubbles which means you're going to be looking at this guide:
http://www.wasteink.co.uk/fix-epson-airlock-clog/
... and the linked video:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/_video/px7xx-prime/

Is it possible , in your experience to push too much air out of the balance chambers, as it seems to imply in your post? or will the buffer take care of that itself via atmospheric pressure??
As you can probably guess by now the air issue in the balance chambers isn't remotely related to this. If you were getting overpressure issues, ie: ink leaking out of the printhead then we'd be looking at whether the system was properly balanced or reservoir incorrectly placed but that's not the issue here.

If you need some replacement bungs I have spares in stock that will fit but in the interim you could use some aluminium tape to seal those plugs/holes shut once you've reprimed one last time.

If the ink still migrates back to the reservoirs after fully sealing everything you'll need to get the cartridge block replaced as that may have been compromised with all the priming you've been trying.

Hope that's a bit of use but as I said, I may have misunderstood some of what you're saying so if you have any photos, or clarifications that clear any bits up that'll help.

Cheers,

Martin

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Andrew,

It's probably me not having had my morning cup of tea or lack of sleep but I'm not entirely following your explanation of the issue so bear with me if I get some of this wrong.

Not really surprised as I am hampered by ignorance here so...:he

Ok, first things first.. if ink is migrating back towards the reservoirs then you have an air leak at the cartridge/buffer end of things. Usually it's the rubber bung in the top, near the chipset. Replacing this would be a good idea.

Suspect something simpler

Can you specify how you re-prime the carts? Is it by removing the bungs, sticking a luer slip into the hole and pulling back until ink flows into the syringe?
..Or..
Are you sticking a thin sharp needle into the bung and drawing back until ink flows?

Oh S**t.....did not like the needle suggestion, fortune has it I have some spare bungs :he:he:he

If it's the latter, you will definitely need to replace the rubber bungs as this approach only ever works once. Repeated perforation of the bungs degrades the bungs ability to re-seal and you just have a huge air leak.

In light of all I've just said, it does sound like your cartridge system is compromised and it's not a syphon effect so much as the CIS loop is leaking which means the ink only has one way it can go (back to the reservoirs).

Once I evacuated the balance chambers the ink stays put. This part of my question related to this, can one blow too much air back inti the balance chamber ? or does Atmospheric pressure take a hand and do the right thing without a person "tweeking" oneself ( be clear here! the BALANCE tube not my person!!)

That won't help if there's an air leak.

Chances are high that your internal CIS system is now full of air bubbles which means you're going to be looking at this guide:
http://www.wasteink.co.uk/fix-epson-airlock-clog/
... and the linked video:
http://www.octoink.co.uk/_video/px7xx-prime/

As you can probably guess by now the air issue in the balance chambers isn't remotely related to this. If you were getting overpressure issues, ie: ink leaking out of the printhead then we'd be looking at whether the system was properly balanced or reservoir incorrectly placed but that's not the issue here.

If you need some replacement bungs I have spares in stock that will fit but in the interim you could use some aluminium tape to seal those plugs/holes shut once you've reprimed one last time.

If the ink still migrates back to the reservoirs after fully sealing everything you'll need to get the cartridge block replaced as that may have been compromised with all the priming you've been trying.

Hope that's a bit of use but as I said, I may have misunderstood some of what you're saying so if you have any photos, or clarifications that clear any bits up that'll help.

Thanks for the links, You are ON THE MONEY so all good:frow

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks Andrew

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
To Reprime an Epson PX nobody should remove the Ink Supply System... its a easy thing with the Adjustment Program: "Inital Charge" will drain 30% of FULL Cartridges into the WasteInk collection Box and most certainly it will flush out all air pockets