What Type Of Adhesive?????

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I wonder if there would be pros and cons to some epoxy that tends to be stronger and more brittle vs. some that tend to be less strong, but slightly more pliable / flexible?
I did actually look into this as I had thought that a flexible epoxy (One I've used to great effect in other plastics projects) would be more appropriate but every unit I built failed in a matter of minutes.

Regular araldite and other brittle epoxies just snapped apart if I wasn't careful... and truth be told I didn't think the hot glues would be much better until I tried using it in the name of empirical research. Given that Poly Prop' is not the best plastic to be bonding to other plastics anyway I was more than a mite surprised that the bond was so strong.

I don't doubt that individuals with a lot of time to kill could create a very solid DIY clip with all manner of over-engineering though, so doubtless someone will make it a project..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Before I started to use websnail’s flush clips, which are still working perfectly I may add, I made one of my own using Epoxy Adhesive and a metal washer for strength which is also still going strong.

5128_purge_2.jpg

However I also tried using hot glue for my first attempt but it failed after only using it twice, that’s why I switched to using the reliable Araldite Adhesive for all the other clips that I made, no failures so far..

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
...I also tried using how glue ..
Would that be the sounds you were making when you got your finger mired in the hot glue then Brian?
*How!!! Ow!... how!!!* ;)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I've actually never had very good success with hot glue for almost every application in which I've tried to use it. Maybe I'm not using good quality sticks or not using the glue properly?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My gun is heated to about 1000 degree using high quality sticks and it’s near perfect but not quite, it works on glass as well..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
My gun is heated to about 1000 degree using high quality sticks and it’s near perfect but not quite, it works on glass as well..
So the glue gun glows bright orange when in use? Is the heat source Propane? With Oxygen + Acetylene you should be able to reach 3500C/6300F? :lol:

I would be satisfied with 100C/212F from my cheap Chinese glue gun.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I've actually never had very good success with hot glue for almost every application in which I've tried to use it. Maybe I'm not using good quality sticks or not using the glue properly?
That is a common problem with hobbyist glue guns and glue sticks. Often the temperature and power of the glue gun is not quite sufficient for the job, and hobbyist glue sticks come in many varieties with different and unknown properties.

There is some discussion of hot melt glues in ghwellsjr's Freedom refill thread: http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...-canon-bci-3-5-6-cli-8-pgi-5-and-others.5994/ . Expect to have to do a lot of experimenting and googling if you want to make your own adapters using hot melt glue.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thought I'd just update on the new version of the clips as all the parts I needed arrived this morning.

To say that things were stronger would be putting it mildly... I tested a couple of units to destruction and the syringe nozzle, attached to the clip, snapped off rather than the glued luer part. I think we can call that a success ;)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
When will the new improved mark II version of the flusher be available?

May I suggest you also start selling 3-way valves with Luer-lock fittings or if available a 90 degree elbow bend with Luer male and female fittings.

If you align the luer-lock adapter properly, so the clip and syringe will be in line when the syringe is attached via the valve or elbow bend before glueing it to the storage clip, the clip + Luer lock adapter + valve/elbow bend + 50 ml syringe would make what I think would be a perfect Freedom refill adapter for a fraction of the cost of a German commercially made unit. This combination has the same 90 deg. bend as ghwellsjr's original adapter. The German adapter misses this bend, which I think is important.

I got the idea from this picture by Lumi:

IMG_7475_zps03e782d6.jpg

The picture is borrowed from this post: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-canon-ip7250.8050/page-5#post-62351

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
When will the new improved mark II version of the flusher be available?
I built some CLI-8/CLI-42 units today as we'd run out of stock so they're available now. The 22x/52x versions will be manufactured over the weekend (nativity plays to attend in Dad mode, so time short at the mo).

May I suggest you also start selling 3-way valves with Luer-lock fittings or if available a 90 degree elbow bend with Luer male and female fittings.
I have quite a few parts in as either samples or stocked from other projects so it shouldn't be a problem but I'll check what's already in when I get two seconds.

If you align the luer-lock adapter properly, so the clip and syringe will be in line when the syringe is attached via the valve or elbow bend before glueing it to the storage clip, the clip + Luer lock adapter + valve/elbow bend + 50 ml syringe would make what I think would be a perfect Freedom refill adapter for a fraction of the cost of a German commercially made unit. This combination has the same 90 deg. bend as ghwellsjr's original adapter. The German adapter misses this bend, which I think is important.
The only potential problem I could see from this would be the flushing aspects when it comes to removing ink from the assembly... I've used similar rigs before when I was working out bottling approaches and found that the inks viscosity created substantial problems with it working it's way into assemblies and being next to impossible to flush out.

So, it might be something where a freedom fill rig would need multiple sets to complete and might make the commercial rigs less costly by comparison. I'll certainly put something together though and see what we can come up with..