What is the current best Canon Pixma iX6820 (PGI-251) CISS solution?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
@Nikos Grigoriadis , are you currently doing refill on your TS8350 ? with the original cartridges ? With other 3rd party ink ? The GI-23 ink set delivers you all colors , blacks and CMY but not a blue ink, you would need to continue with an genuine blue cartridge or experimentally start mixing cyan and magenta to get a blue but I can't tell you a mixing ratio.
Since you are looking for a more budget friendly option for your consumables I would assume that you don't use Canon papers, any other 3rd party paper needs some color adjustment as well for an accurate color print , you can compensate small changes via the color adjustments in the driver which just would include any ink related corrections, or you go for an icc-profile for your ink/paper combination

Nikos Grigoriadis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TM200,Canon TS8350
Ink stained Fingers thank you very mutch for your instant reply.I curently refil the original canon cartridges with ink from octopus that maches very well.I saw your post for the longevity of 106 and pro 200 inks.There you mention that octopus ink have only 10% fade resitance.The estimate price of GI-23 make me think that is great to have original canon chromalife inks to my printer.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Fading resistance of a refill ink is a hidden parameter nobody knows about- not even the vendor in most cases you get your inks from. You may be happy with the octopus- inks and even accept some lower performance for the lower price - it is your conclusion. But if you want to get some ink better than arbitrary no-name inks then stick to the genuine Canon or Epson inks. Canon basically uses two types of dye inks - Chromalife 100 inks for a rather wide range of printers, and this since about 15 years. These inks are now available in bottles as the GI-23 inks, and Canon has a higher performance ink - in regards to longevity - in use with the Pro-100(s) and Pro-200 printer models called Chromalife 100+ - it's just a +-sign but the performance increase is quite significant. These inks are not available bottled at a lower price.

There is about no information available about the fading performance of 3rd party inks, just a few smaller publications - nobody is willing to pay for a test which just reveils how poor an ink performs.
Have a look to this publication

http://wilhelm-research.com/hardcopy/hardcopy.html

WIR testing of aftermarket inks...................

or this test about compatible Epson 3rd party cartridges

http://wilhelm-research.com/epson/durabrite.html

with the same essence how far below such 3rd party inks perform below the Epson inks - in this case a pigment ink.

The first article compares HP dye inks in cartridges against various 3rd party inks used for a fill-up, the HP inks perform somewhat better than Canon-inks but that's not the point - you can find inks which just deliver 1% or less than the HP Inks, a few with some better numbers but still far below the genuine ink. The situation in the 3rd party ink market has not changed much since this article, it does not make much of a difference whether you do the refill or a company fills up cartridges - it's the same inks. And the difference to Canon or Epson 'compatible' 3rd party inks is not so much the raw dye for the color but some changes to the solvent - water - glycoles and some additives.
Yes - 3rd party inks, cartridges are much cheaper than genuine supplies but this is what you get for your money. There are most likely some better inks on the market - somewhere - but you have to find them and do your own testing for confirmation, you cannot just believe statements about 'UV stability' or similar.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Let me give you one last example to this subject since I'm slowly deviating from the original subject of this thread, there was a company - Lyson inks - offering an 'archival' refill ink for Epson (and Canon longer time ago as well) with these promises

http://absoluteinkjet.com/bulk-inkj...tonic-xg-archival-dye-inks-for-claria-models/

You may think - wow - that's the ink I need

But that ink just delivers less than 10% of the fading performance of the genuine Epson Claria inks as per a test by
Aardenburg Imaging here at report # 302 ( you need to register to access these test reports), it's better than the performance of some other inks - 10% is better than 1% or 2% - but it's still very very weak

https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/light-fade-test-results/

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Last edited:

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
http://absoluteinkjet.com/ink2image-fotonic-xg-v2-premium-dye-ink-4oz-bottle-cyan/

' This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product! '
Maybe that's the one for me?
hah
i'll check it out.
Update on this issue though.
The whole problem seems to have an ancillary cause.
I swapped out one of the eBay inks for a genuine Canon Magenta ink, and then everything started working.
The eBay guy hypothesized that his team contaminated their own fill process when they were manufacturing the Magenta ink. And that I should use water to remove the ink from the refillable cartridge, and then use a syringe to refill the magenta cartridge.
So he says.
I dunno.......
i'm gonna try it.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
the Fotonic inks are for use on Epson printers, not on a Canon IX6820

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
now a V2 - version 2- Fotonic XG ink available

That must be the killer ink ......... or not ?
Do the Fotonic fade-resistant torpedoes need dilithium crystals to work?

I-WANT-this-scooter-star-trek-21868213-420-528.jpg

Star Trek scooter printed by Chief 3D Printer Engineer "Scotty" @The Hat ... or not?

Nikos Grigoriadis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TM200,Canon TS8350
If GI-23 are the same with cli 581 i will be happy.I refil because 8 ml ink costs 13 euros.Now with nwe GI-23 57ml costs the same.With sutch a price i dont wana use 3rd party inks.As i saw the inks from pro 100 are different from pro 200 even they are both cromalife 100+
So there is possible GI-23 be different from cli 581.
Anyway when the inks will be avaliable ill give a try.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
So there is possible GI-23 be different from cli 581
Both are ChromaLife100 inks, so you should expect the same archival quality (fade resistance) from either ink for a specific paper. Remember, the paper affects archiving as well as colors, too.

Color match may be different, but you may be able to compensate either with manual adjustments in the printer driver or via a custom ICC printer profile. Or, you may find the colors to be acceptable and no further tinkering needed. No one knows till it is tried for your specific model printer.

For you it is an easy decision - your aftermarket inks cost the same as Canon OEM GI-23. Unless there is a specific reason to go aftermarket then the choice is Canon OEM.