What is the current best Canon Pixma iX6820 (PGI-251) CISS solution?

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
P.S. You can’t use pigment inks in your printer..

just realize that all the inks they send me say PhotoColor UV Dye.
Except the "black matte" one.
This says "UltraColor Photo Pigment"

I wonder if this is why my prints look so dark.

pigment.jpg

Nikos Grigoriadis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TM200,Canon TS8350
I have the black cart as 11.2 ml and the XL at 30 ml, the colours at 5.6 ml and the XL at 14 ml.. Is there a difference ?..
Also at cli 581 th colours is 5,6 ml and the xxl is 11,7 ml
But you can refill the small cartridge with around 10 ml of ink.
The xxl you can refil them with 11,5 ml.
If you have try to refill the small cartridges of cli 251 and you cant go over
5,6 i have no reason to not belive you.
Just seems strange to me because only the sponge can absorbe at least 4 ml of ink.
I dont think the chamber is only 1,5 volume but as i said i dont know.
I can speak only about cli 581 that my canon 8350 have.
I just want to say for someone that want to refill to try first with the small and if
is not ok then give extra money for a new xl set of inks.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Also at cli 581 th colours is 5,6 ml and the xxl is 11,7 ml
But you can refill the small cartridge with around 10 ml of ink.
The xxl you can refil them with 11,5 ml.
If you have try to refill the small cartridges of cli 251 and you cant go over
Confusing. Are you saying the standard 581 can take 10 ml of refill ink but the standard 251 cartridge can only take 5.6 ml of refill ink? (Standard is the regular sized cartridge and not the XL or XXL bigger cartridges)

According to octopus-office:

"First step of refilling we take the suitable refill ink for Caon PGI-580 or CLI-581 ito our refill syringe. The method of refilling demonstrated in this tutorial - dripping ink onto the cartridge´s sponge - saturates the sponge material inside the cartridge only. The XL versions of PGI-580 and CLI-581 have an additional, spongeless ink tank in their rear section - by dripping ink on the sponge no ink is going into this tank. For CLI-581 inkjet cartridges we recommend to take 4 ml to 5 ml into the refill syringe. For the big, black text cartridge PGI-580 8 ml to 10 ml black pigmented refill ink are sufficient. How much refill ink actually fits into the cartridge depends on how much residual ink is left inside the ink sponge."

https://www.octopus-office.de/info/...1-inkjet-cartridges-and-deactivate-ink-level/

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The method of refilling demonstrated in this tutorial - dripping ink onto the cartridge´s sponge -
To do any serious printing with this method of refilling must be a Feckin nightmare..
Your just one step away from purchasing a new print head, if you don’t babysit the entire print job.. :tongue

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
As long as you are printing with ink monitoring on - and you are using a resetter for the cartridge chips - the net available ink amount is programmed into the chip and the printer/driver firmware is counting down the ink used, so the net available ink volume - as programmed into the chip - may very well differ from the physical amount you can get into the cartridge and you may overfill the cartridge during the refill process.

Last edited:

Nikos Grigoriadis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TM200,Canon TS8350
Confusing. Are you saying the standard 581 can take 10 ml of refill ink but the standard 251 cartridge can only take 5.6 ml of refill ink? (Standard is the regular sized cartridge and not the XL or XXL bigger cartridges)

According to octopus-office:

"First step of refilling we take the suitable refill ink for Caon PGI-580 or CLI-581 ito our refill syringe. The method of refilling demonstrated in this tutorial - dripping ink onto the cartridge´s sponge - saturates the sponge material inside the cartridge only. The XL versions of PGI-580 and CLI-581 have an additional, spongeless ink tank in their rear section - by dripping ink on the sponge no ink is going into this tank. For CLI-581 inkjet cartridges we recommend to take 4 ml to 5 ml into the refill syringe. For the big, black text cartridge PGI-580 8 ml to 10 ml black pigmented refill ink are sufficient. How much refill ink actually fits into the cartridge depends on how much residual ink is left inside the ink sponge."

https://www.octopus-office.de/info/...1-inkjet-cartridges-and-deactivate-ink-level/
You haven read all the conversation from the begining thats why you are confused.
I have write that i dont know about 251 and i answer to The Hat: If you have try to refill the small cartridges of cli 251 and you cant go over 5,6 i have no reason to not belive you.

Lets talk about cli 581 standard that i have refil and i know for sure.
Octopus refil method is to just saturate the sponge with 4-5 ml.
I have mention that and i have say: Just seems strange to me because only the sponge can absorbe at least 4 ml of ink.
When you drill a hole at the top of the cartridge (is very important where exactlly you drill the hole) you can inject to the ink chamber another 4-6 ml (the volume depents from where you drill the hole)........

Finally...........4 ml at the sponge + 6 ml at the chamber = 10 ml at standard cartridges
4 ml at the sponge + 7,5 ml at the chamber = 11,5 ml at xxl cartridges

Thats why i just imagine that can happens the same at cli 251.....
If this happens there is no need for someone to spend extra money to buy xl or xxl cartridges for refiling.
Of course is better to have 2 sets of cartridges but not everybody can afford them.

I have to mention that the ml you can refil the standard cartridges is not my discover.
Mike from PC inks have done it and also have instructions for where to drill the hole for maximum effectivness.

Nikos Grigoriadis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TM200,Canon TS8350
To do any serious printing with this method of refilling must be a Feckin nightmare..
Your just one step away from purchasing a new print head, if you don’t babysit the entire print job.. :tongue
Also leaves almost always the upper part of the sponge unsaturated and day by day getting dry and finally.....you know.....:(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You were huge on the drip method of refilling. What happened? :idunno