What is the current best Canon Pixma iX6820 (PGI-251) CISS solution?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
To reiterate, all aftermarket inks fade relatively fast compared to OEM Canon inks, some faster than others. If you want long lasting prints to hang or are selling prints then use OEM ink.

Some aftermarket inks have a better color match out of the bottle compared to OEM inks. Obtaining a custom ICC printer profile may equalize much of the differences in color. The process is you will print out a specific image and mail it back to the profiling business. You will then get a file you install on your computer and then select that ICC profile when you print. Note that an ICC printer profile is designed for ONE specific printer, ONE specific set of inks, and ONE specific paper. Change any ONE of these three variables and your prints may be dissatisfying as you've noted with your image above.

You can guesstimate color fidelity by adjusting the Color Intensity using the Manual Color Adjustment slider in the Canon printer driver that appears when you click to print. You may also be able to compensate with Photoshop.

Forum member PeterBJ has a great thread on color cast correction that may be useful to try. Read the entire short thread.

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/compatible-cartridges-and-colour-cast.10956/

When requesting advice on purchases then it is critical you post what country you are in as recommendations often are region specific.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To reiterate, all aftermarket inks fade relatively fast compared to OEM Canon inks, some faster than others. If you want long lasting prints to hang or are selling prints then use OEWhen requesting advice on purchases then it is critical you post what country you are in as recommendations often are region specific.
hi thanks
i'm in USA
Yes i was hoping to avoid color correction, and just get something to work out of the box.
Curiously, i've bought form this guy before and never had a problem.
This Canon printer is only 1 day old so maybe that has something to do with it.
Our art is in the sun a lot so it needs to last a bit. But we're not doing museum prints.
This is low grade stuff.
I was hoping to just buy a couple bottles and be done with it. But it looks like things are more comfortable.
Was hoping someone could recommend a supply house where i could just buy 3 bottles of ink and go.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Our art is in the sun a lot so it needs to last a bit.
Sun = Very bad. Bit = ???

Know that the dye-based colors like those used in your printer, will run in the rain. The amount and speed of fading due to the sun and elements will only be known when tried. There is no rule of thumb on timing for all inks.

Museum quality is not the issue.

The issue is exposure of the print to the elements, whether inside or outside. It is possible to extend the longevity of colors (the "archival" quality) by spraying the print with chemicals and careful selection of paper type, but it only delays the inevitable still less than OEM inks do on their own.

If you want to maximize fade-protection then use all Pigment ink printers like the Pro 10. Pigment inks are much more resistant to fading than Dye-based inks like yours. Even aftermarket Pigment inks may have very good fade resistance. OEM inks, once again, are thought to have the best archival quality.

These are general statements and are variable depending on what products are used.

In the end, it is your tolerance for color fidelity and fade resistance that counts. Or the customer that buys your print.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
if longevity is your concern and you are doing business with your prints and the printer is not installed yet you may check if you can return it in exchange for a Pro-10 or Pro-1000 which runs on pigment inks which give you a significantly better longevity performance of your prints.
Yes i was hoping to avoid color correction,
Once the profile ist installed you won't need to do any color correction to compensate for ink mismatches and alike, the profile is doing the color corrections for you.

In the end, it is your tolerance for color fidelity and fade resistance that counts.
You decide - I hope we could give you enough relevant information up to this point, please keep the discussion going until all your questions are answered.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
if longevity is your concern dough relevant information up to this point, please keep the discussion going until all your questions are answered.

interesting

One thing I realized is that the new Canon GI-23 colors are part of a 6-ink system.

But my Canon Pixma iX6820 is a 4-ink system.

So if I were to wait till next month when the Canon GI-23 colors come out, will they really work? e.g. is "cyan" the same "cyan" on a 4-color ink system and a 6-color ink system? Aren't the shades different?

thanks!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You don't need the red of the GI-23 ink set. I assume that you are not using original Canon papers, every 3rd party paper introduces its specific color shift which you need to compensate anyway - either via the color adjustments in the driver or better with an icm-profile, the red ink is slightly improving the color space in that range.
The GI-23 ink set is a Chromalife 100 ink set, the cartridges are called 'CLI' = Chromalife (dye), your printer runs with 5 inks - it is using a dye black CLI-251 and a pigment black PGI-250 - pigment black which are part in the GI-23 ink set as well.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Aren't the shades different?
Yes they will be, but you may not notice the differences, and if you do you can follow the tips that @stratman gave you in #post 11.. it’s much better to use OEM inks when you can..

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You don't need the red of the GI-23 ink set. I assume that you are not using original Canon papers, every 3rd party paper introduces its specific col...
Right, i mean I assume I just buy these 3 colors, and stick them in these 3 slots ya? And that will work? <see image>

z-temp-2021-04-25--101247.jpg

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
and you may add the CLI 521 dye black since this will be used for the image prints, the pigment black is used for text print and pigment inks are much less susceptible to fading - you may use the 3rd party pigment black

Nikos Grigoriadis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TM200,Canon TS8350
Canon just announced a new Megatank printer for the U.S. market - the G620, this printer runs with genuine Canon inks which are botteld and you can buy them and use for refill on your current printer, it's the GI-23 inks, and just continue to use the other black 3rd party inks.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...nters/all-megatank-inkjet-printers/pixma-g620
Do you think that i can use this GI-23 inks (BK,C,M,Y) to refil my TS8350?
What oem inks i can use to refil MBK and PB?
Should i need custom icc profiles?