What exactly is the "printer duty" of a printer mentioned by Epson?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Tin Ho said:
There is indeed a limit of lifespan of piezo based print heads. The stress by the mechanical flexing of the piezo crystal eventually will break it off. People likely will continue to waste expensive ink through it by endless cleaning cycles until realizing it's not clogging but end of service life of the printer.

Thermo-bubblejet based print heads, on the other hand, are not worn by repeated heating and cooling like piezo heads by repeated mechanical flexing. However, overheating and consequent impact or destruction of ink may quickly clog and destroy them rather quickly. This seems to be the common cause of death of many Canon print heads. Canon printers appear to be short lived by a large margin.

Epson printers seem to have a more predictable service life. Canon printers appear more random, unpredictable and often much short lived. The truth to me is they actually can last longer than Epsons. But it largely relys on if quality inks are used with proper refilling with OEM ink cartridges.
What kind of wiper do new Epsons use? the kind that they used in the stylus era, or something like canon uses for decades (clear type wiper)?
I never seen a badly scraped print head in canon, but Epson heads look terrible, even Teflon coating is damaged on some heads by wiping the heads.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
abrasion maybe?

Pigment inks on typical Desktop Canon only deal with carbon in an oil emulsion. Maybe the oil lubricates. Dye ink is not abrasive,

Move to the Epson pigment inks and the base is not oil based but resin based with ground up colored particles. There is a high likelihood that these particles in combination with the resin is more abrasive and maybe the resin eventually attacks the rubber strip. Also maybe the wipers are also used more on an Epson printhead.

Actually the action of a bubble is very violent on a thermal printhead and indeed there is wear internally as well. The process is cavitation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

Just was we use cavitation on printheads, if you have a boiler that has cavitation during heating (knocking and banging), you know it is bad thing. It is the rapid localized heating of water (not good) causing a bubble (boiling) that instantly collapses and causing that violent noise. Your kettle for tea is also the same issue.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
The Epson 1400 is one hell of a sturdy printer iMO. I have two of them, before I used five Epson Stylus Photo P50 /T50 printers for printing 10x15 stuff and A4 pages.
I brought the printers to events like proms and weddings to instant print pictures, but this business closed for shure since nobody really want to pay 5/6,25$ for a 15x21cm picture
So I sold all the heavily used p50s and bought an addition 1400.

For both of them I used Inktek dye based ink with refillable cartriges of aliexpress. Both printers have a external waste ink tank mounted.
Printing borderless will saturate the sponge right under the printable area, i ocasionally remove it with twezzers and cleane it under hot water with some dish cleaner and rinse it and dry it. It works good so far.
The head cleaning capping assembly needs addition maintenance too, I use no-name qtips and Pharmacicts cleaning soltion.

Yesterday I printed another 400 10x15 pictures with both printers for a kindergarden summer.festiviti

kind regards
Serhat

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
cls said:
The Epson 1400 is one hell of a sturdy printer iMO. I have two of them, before I used five Epson Stylus Photo P50 /T50 printers for printing 10x15 stuff and A4 pages.
I brought the printers to events like proms and weddings to instant print pictures, but this business closed for shure since nobody really want to pay 5/6,25$ for a 15x21cm picture
So I sold all the heavily used p50s and bought an addition 1400.
Hmm so A3 are much more expensive to sell where do you live?

cls said:
For both of them I used Inktek dye based ink with refillable cartriges of aliexpress. Both printers have a external waste ink tank mounted.
Printing borderless will saturate the sponge right under the printable area, i ocasionally remove it with twezzers and cleane it under hot water with some dish cleaner and rinse it and dry it. It works good so far.
Yes I do the same.

cls said:
The head cleaning capping assembly needs addition maintenance too, I use no-name qtips and Pharmacicts cleaning soltion.
Isn't this better? But perhaps there is a cheaper seller somewhere, current cost 0.10$ a piece.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Solvent...072?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ad2083b8

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
cls said:
That's a really bad idea IMHO. Most photos bought on-location from events, kindergartens etc usually end up on a fridge or in a drawer, almost never properly stored in albums.
And any third party dye based ink left in the open air and in bright light will fade visibly in under a year.
I'd suggest you either buy a pigment based printer or a dye-sub portable printer, unless of course you don't mind your customers associating your name with bad quality prints...

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Exactly for the same reason I almost never use my Canon Pro9000 any more. I use an Epson R2880 exclusively now. Despite the cost of ink is far more expensive the quality of the photo easily justifies it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tin Ho said:
Exactly for the same reason I almost never use my Canon Pro9000 any more. I use an Epson R2880 exclusively now. Despite the cost of ink is far more expensive the quality of the photo easily justifies it.
I would have taught the Pro 9000 would beat the pants off the Epson R2880 when it came to quality coloured glossy Photos.

It will be a long while yet before any Pigment printer can beat the output quality of Dye inks, longevity yes but preference no.
My two cent worth.. :)

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
costadinos said:
cls said:
That's a really bad idea IMHO. Most photos bought on-location from events, kindergartens etc usually end up on a fridge or in a drawer, almost never properly stored in albums.
And any third party dye based ink left in the open air and in bright light will fade visibly in under a year.
I'd suggest you either buy a pigment based printer or a dye-sub portable printer, unless of course you don't mind your customers associating your name with bad quality prints...
Hi costa!
I give the photo away for FREE.. so no worries..
I dont really want to use pigmented ink with my 1400 since its has less nozzle in comparison to the R2000/r1900/R1800
I will switch soon to an Epson R2000 i guess or even R3000 for 10x15cm / 13x18cm / DIN A4 prints only

I heaviliy use my Epson 4000 for prints too since roll papier is so cheap..

Next thing is fiddiling with Qimage

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
I suggest you give it a try if you get the chance.
I, too, was reluctant filling my 1400 with pigment, but after about two months with no problems I actually "converted" both my 1400s and a P50.
I was a bit surprised myself, but I tried leaving the printer sit for a week, and there was no clogging afterwards. In fact, my 7900 running OEM inks clogs much more often than the 1400 running pigment :)
Only real problem was finding the right ink combination to use to achieve satisfactory gamut. After figuring that out the prints coming from the 1400 are pretty much identical to those from an R2000....