Wf2850 prints black using colors?!

Say

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Wf2850
Hi, I printed out some images that were basically black with some color. Upon finishing the job I noticed the printer did not use the black cartridge at all. I ran out of color cartridges! Is there a way of making the printer use pure black for color as opposed to using the YMC? I have a Macpro and was unable to find color management. Thank you!!!!!

Tony4597

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor SC P800
If you look in the print driver menu somewhere you should find an option to print labelled either B&W or Grayscale.

Depending on your particular model and driver it may look similar to the attached

Attachments

• eps.png
    eps.png
    78 KB · Views: 64

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
you should find an option to print labelled either B&W or Grayscale.
Ah yes but does this printer only use black ink for B&W printing..
Canon printers have a tendency to slip in some of the other colours too..

Say

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Wf2850
If you look in the print driver menu somewhere you should find an option to print labelled either B&W or Grayscale.

Depending on your particular model and driver it may look similar to the attached
Yes, but I want to print in color and use the black cartridge too

Say

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Wf2850

But I want to print in color and use the black cartridge too

Tony4597

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor SC P800
Ah yes but does this printer only use black ink for B&W printing..
Canon printers have a tendency to slip in some of the other colours too..
A good point and one I cannot answer as I have never examined a print from this printer.

Tony4597

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor SC P800
But I want to print in color and use the black cartridge too
Then I fear you are out of luck as the print driver will make the decision which inks to use to produce the required print hue and density.

Say

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Wf2850
Then I fear you are out of luck as the print driver will make the decision which inks to use to produce the required print hue and density.
With other printers I’ve been able to select use black cartridge for color black when printing in color, maybe it’s just the printer, thanks

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The printer is an office printer, not a photo printer. It has got only 4 ink cartridges. One pigment black ink and cyan, magenta and yellow dye inks. Only the dye inks are suitable for photo printing. The pigment ink doesn't adhere well to photo paper and is not used in photo printing. The benefit of the pigment black is a clearer and sharper print on plain paper.

Printers more suitable for photo printing as a minimum also have a dye/photo black ink, Some dedicated photo printers have even more ink cartridges. See this.

Say

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Wf2850
The printer is an office printer, not a photo printer. It has got only 4 ink cartridges. One pigment black ink and cyan, magenta and yellow dye inks. Only the dye inks are suitable for photo printing. The pigment ink doesn't adhere well to photo paper and is not used in photo printing. The benefit of the pigment black is a clearer and sharper print on plain paper.

Printers more suitable for photo printing as a minimum also have a dye/photo black ink, Some dedicated photo printers have even more ink cartridges. See this.
Thank you for the clear explanation, I hadn’t realised the black cartridge was pigment. I guess I’ll just cry when printing my almost black illustrations 🫣 .

Latest posts