Wf2850 prints black using colors?!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805/1800, Pro7600, WF2010,ET8
Yes, but I want to print in color and use the black cartridge too
This is only possible if you print your images on matte paper, the matte paper settings - inkjet paper, normal paper - use the black ink , any glossy paper selection will disable the pigment black as explained above - it does not adhere well on the glossy coating, you can wipe it off.

There would be a work around if you use a dye black ink in a refill cartridge and print with the matte paper setting on glossy paper , you may swap the black ink cartridge depending on what you want to print - text etc or images, or you may be happy enough with prints with the dye black on normal paper , edges look slightly fuzzier - but there is the tradeoff with more handling, getting the black ink, refill etc.
And you may find 3rd party cartridges for your printer - typically the lower priced ones which just ship you cartridges filled with dye inks - all colors but won't even tell you , I would not recommend to use such cartridges with unkown inks with questionable or poor longevity

Say

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Wf2850
This is only possible if you print your images on matte paper, the matte paper settings - inkjet paper, normal paper - use the black ink , any glossy paper selection will disable the pigment black as explained above - it does not adhere well on the glossy coating, you can wipe it off.

There would be a work around if you use a dye black ink in a refill cartridge and print with the matte paper setting on glossy paper , you may swap the black ink cartridge depending on what you want to print - text etc or images, or you may be happy enough with prints with the dye black on normal paper , edges look slightly fuzzier - but there is the tradeoff with more handling, getting the black ink, refill etc.
And you may find 3rd party cartridges for your printer - typically the lower priced ones which just ship you cartridges filled with dye inks - all colors but won't even tell you , I would not recommend to use such cartridges with unkown inks with questionable or poor longevity
Ok, I understand the dye/pigment issue now, and I don’t mind printing on matte, but will the printer automatically use the black pigment cartridge when I choose matte or plain paper settings? I do use Epson original cartridges. Thank you!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The driver settings define which inks are used - with or w/o the black ink, the driver does not know if the black cartridge actually contains pigment inks, and not dye inks - there is no sensor, and the driver does not recognize either which paper you actually have loaded - matte or glossy - there is no paper sensor for it.

Last edited:

Say

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Wf2850
The driver settings define which inks are used - with or w/o the black ink, the driver does not know if the cartridge actually contains pigment inks, and not dye inks - there is no sensor, and the driver does not recognize either which paper you actually have loaded - matte or glossy - there is no paper sensor for it.
Ok, so if I understand correctly by selecting matte paper the driver will use all 4 cartridges right?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I recommend you to do some comparitive tests with a variation of the driver settings and with different paper types - matte - glossy and print a test image.