Vinyl Sticker Paper...is it worth it?

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Has anybody used these vinyl sticker paper? Here is a LINK to a seller. Apparently there are many other variety of this, and so I would like to know if you have used it, which have you used, what were your results, what ink did you use, how long did it last if you leave it under the elements? Lastly how does it feel like? is it rubbery or photo paper like or... Anyway, I'm planing on using these for some creative sticker making to be put on a bumper of a car and some skateboard designs and so I was debating if $1.50+ per sheet is worth it. Thank you!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
vallejoboy Has anybody used these vinyl sticker paper?
I have ordered some of this vinyl paper and will evaluated it next month myself using dye and pigment inks..:)

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I've used a similar one before works nicely and that particular one says it works for durabrite ink which is pigment. That's good because even though my vinyl prints with dye inks were waterproof but they faded rather quickly in the sun.

vallejoboy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey qwertydude, when you say "rather quickly" are we talking days, weeks or months?

The Hat, I will wait for your assessment! :)

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
2 weeks in direct sunlight and there was moderate fading and a distinct greenish tint. Obviously the magenta was fading fast.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
vallejoboy
Well I tried the Vinyl from Papiio yesterday on different paper settings with mixed results.
The quality of my artwork was terrible as the printers were not able to detect the best setting.

It turned out that both Photoshop and the Canon print drivers were arguing over who should have the last say
so I dumped Photoshop and used Illustrator instead.

The results were far better no matter which settings I used and all of my test prints were more than satisfactory.
I used both white / clear water proof Vinyl with dye and pigment inks and the results were great.

I only got two sample packs to try out ($33.64) and now will have to decide
which one would be most suitable for me to use as outdoor labels..
5128_vinyl_2.png
5128_vinyl_1.png

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
The stuff Papilio and Online Labels sells as "waterproof inkjet paper" may be printable sign vinyl cut down to sheets. I was looking this kind of thing up recently and found this:

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/24970-printing-on-vinyl-with-inkjet-printer/

where they're using an Epson Workforce with pigment to print on it. The test sheets I got from Online Labels was not remotely waterproof or durable with my pigment converted R220 (touching it would make the coating fall off the "labels") so I definitely wouldn't recommend those. Depending on how much you need it might be much cheaper to buy the roll vinyl.

Even if you find one that works well it's best to overlaminate it with either vinyl laminate sheeting or some kind of waterproofing spray. Notice that the Papilio brand has both spray and sheet laminate options.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat said:
to use as outdoor labels..
What in the world are you labeling outdoors and do you already have a diagnosis of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? :D

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK you have caught me out this time stratman
I only wanted the labels to point me in the right direction after a good nights boozing..:celebrate
And yes the printers are all Compulsive, Obsessive and in good Disorder.. :lol:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:yuckyuck