Using OEM and 3rd pary inks for different carts

fadeaway

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
About 2 years ago some of us on this forum tested a number of inks for UV/light and ozone fade resistance. The results showed that the Cannon OEM ink performed the best. Looking at the results however showed that the fading difference was, by far, greatest with the magenta dye. For instance, comparing the yellow, cyan, and photo black only, there is not much of a difference in fading between OEM and compatibles. The difference appeared smallest with a Canon/MIS comparison and UV/light exposure. On Ozone exposure, there seems to be a greater difference in other colors however this can be eliminated with the proper protection via swellable paper, mounting etc.

Now I am considering using compatible inks in all but the magenta cart which would use Canon OEM. This would provide virtually all of the benefits of OEM fade resistance and only a slight cost premium due to the required purchase of one OEM magenta cart.

My concern is color balancing. Can this be easily corrected if there is a mismatch?

If anyone has had experience in using different source inks, I would be glad to hear about it.

(Forgot to mention that I am using an IP4000 which uses BCI-3eBK, BCI-6B, BCI-6C, BCI-6M, BCI-6Y)

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Maybe you should try to use PGI-9 Lucia ink in your older Canon printer. In the worst case scenario: your printhead might become clogged, in the minor case: just colour shifts, but this can be corrected by personal printer profiles. Has someone tried HP compatible pigment ink (Vivera alike) in their Canon BCI-6 or CLI-8 cartridges ? Since HP is using the same bubblejet technology in their printers unlike Epson Ultrachrome K3 ink, formulated especially for piezo-based printnozzles. So theoretically it should be able to use pigment ink in Canon dye printers, but what are the results ?

For example: droplet size in Canon Pixma Pro 9500(pigment): 3 pl, i9950 (dye): 2 pl, HP Vivera cartridges (pigment): 5 pl, Epson R2400 (piezo/pigment): 1,5 pl.