Using OCP CLI-8 Canon compatible ink in Epson printer: it works !!!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Yesterday I refilled a set of T029x compatible refillable cartridges for my Epson WF-7525 to try dye printing. As I do not have Epson compatible dye ink, I refilled my cartridges with OCP Canon CLI-8 compatible dye ink (cyan, magenta, yellow and photo black). To force CMYK printing (to force the usage of the photo black) I put my paper setting to: Matte Photo Paper and quality=high. The results are astonishingly good. Even better compared to the prints I made with my previous Canon MX-850 printer using CLI-8 cartridges.

I also tried the Premium Glossy Photo Paper setting, but that was not a success unfortunately. This mode on the Epson WF-7525 uses the CMY-printing mode, causing a lack in contrast. Not bad at all, but Matte Paper setting (CMYK-mode) was way better. Dye ink has a superior gloss over the usual pigment ink in this printer.

Never thought the results are so good with Canon compatible dye refill ink in my Epson WF-7525 printer.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
The reverse direction would be a disaster!!! --> Epson dye ink in HP/Canon printer, I did and now I lost my yellow nozzle...

Definitely go for an Epson after this one die. Epson digest everything equal or higher viscosity than its ink. In fact Epson ink is the lowest viscosity? Since other are thermal head, so ink for them must be higher viscosity => work for Epson too? (How about pH and so many other things?? I don't have meter to measure them.)

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
hey pharmacist
I did try MANY different styles with an old Epson S21

like true "koeningsblau" ink for foutain pens, DIY edibile ink (destilled water, isoproply alc, glyzerin and food coloring)

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Epson doesn't need to boil ink, just push it simply => Most ink can work as long as it satisfy the viscosity. Purification and pH have prolong the printhead.
Thermal printhead need to boil ink => ink need to have good exact boiling point, and more water in it => can't use any ink.

Am I wrong??

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Canon dye ink in an Epson printer? Why not use Epson dye ink?
I've used Epson dye ink in an Epson D68 pigment printer. It was OEM ink, I only had to exchange the chips on the cartridges. The result was great, but matte setting was necessary. There was a color shift to magenta, so the magenta slider was set to -5.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Dag Lucas28,

There is a practical reason using OCP CLI-8 ink in my WF-7525: I have gallons left from my previous Canon MX850. Yes: you will have to force CMYK-printing by selecting matte paper in the printer driver to force the usage of the photo black. The black really does great things and also significantly diminishes the usage of the colour inks as well in the dark area's.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I wonder would it work on R2880 or simmilar printers. Somehow canon CLI-8 ink did not work when I had old EPSON stylus 1520 printer