Using ArgyllCMS + Colormunki to produce excellent printer profiles

nrdlnd

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Even so, my 3880 gives virtually the same colour gamut (918,035) on a reasonable microporous RC paper.

So comes a very obvious question about making profiles from papers with a lot of optical brighternes as I think all RC-papers have. This thread started with making profiles with the Colormunki that has an UV-cut filter. As I've understood it this instrument can't read a part of the blue/violet spectrum as the UV-filter also cuts off some of the blue/violet spectrum. I bought an i1 Pro instead without an UV-filter. In the Argyll documentation it's recommended to buy an instrument without UV-filter if you have the alternative . When you make a profile with a paper with optical brighteners it's possible to make a compensation (UV-cut?) in software (Argyll CMS) instead.

I try to use papers without OBA but for some 'everyday' prints I want to use RC-papers as they are a lot cheaper and often very good. How important is it to make this compensation for UV? What commands or arguments should I use? Is it necessary to measure the OBA-content of the paper to be able to do a satisfactory compensation? Is a profile made with an UV-cut instrument (like the Colormunki or the i1 Pro with UV-filter) correct when you make a profile with a paper without OBA-content as the filter cuts off some of the blue/violet spectrum?

One of the reasons I'm asking this is because I have problems getting the colors correct on the RC-paper I'm using (SIHL Masterclass Lustre).

Per

Last edited:

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
I try to use papers without OBA but for some 'everyday' prints I want to use RC-papers as they are a lot cheaper and often very good. How important is it to make this compensation for UV? What commands or arguments should I use? Is it necessary to measure the OBA-content of the paper to be able to do a satisfactory compensation? Is a profile made with an UV-cut instrument (like the Colormunki or the i1 Pro with UV-filter) correct when you make a profile with a paper without OBA-content as the filter cuts off some of the blue/violet spectrum?

One of the reasons I'm asking this is because I have problems getting the colors correct on the RC-paper I'm using (SIHL Masterclass Lustre).

Per
I use a few papers, some OBA-free and others with varying amounts of OBA. Like you, I have an i1Pro without the UV-cut filter. I have to admit that I never try to compensate for OBAs when I make a profile with Argyll and I have never had any real problems.

I recently profiled four RC papers from the Harman CrystalJet range. These papers have lots of OBAs - the paper white measures (L*, a*, b*) 95.9, 1.5 -11.0 The profiles give very nice results for both colour and B&W so I have not felt the need to tinker with OBA compensation.

What kind of problems are you having with the Sihl paper?

nrdlnd

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
What kind of problems are you having with the Sihl paper?

I printed a series of pictures and I couldn't get the colors exactly right as I wanted. I tried to tinker with them in Capture One but I didn't really get it. I came to the conclusion that it was the difficult lighting conditions that made it. I haven't tried to print on a paper without OBA so I can't say that it was because of the optical brighteners. The people that got the pictures were very happy so maybe it's only me!

I wanted to ask if someone else have had the same experience. I also have a general interest to know if it's important to compensate for UV and how to do it. When I made profiles for the SIHL paper I tried the argument '-f D50M2' but when I printed I couldn't see any difference between the two profiles. I haven't analyzed the profiles with Gamutvision though. I didn't use illum as I didn't want to measure the papers. I don't quite understand the documetation in Argyll on how to compensate. If it's not necessary I will not bother.

As a bynote I have printed my first series of pictures on the mattte Museo Portfolio Rag with my own profile (576/1152 on 3 papers) and the result is very good for a matte paper! I couldn't wish for better!

Per

nrdlnd

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
I looked at the two profiles with the RC-paper SIHL Masterclass Lustre in the trial version of Gamutvision. One with the command '-f D50M2' in 'chartread' and one without. I'm not sure if this is the correct command to get a standardized FW-compensation without measuring the actual OBA content with 'illum' that seems rather complicated. There is a difference between the two. D-max is slightly higher with compensation but there is a difference in the way gamut looks in the red/violet area (the one with '-f D50M2' has more gamut especially in the red area the one without very slightly more in the blue area). The '...OEM2.txt* is the one with 'FW-comp' or with the above command. The one with compensation has a little greater gamut overall. Is this result according to theory?

Per

Attachments

• Epson3880SIHLLustrePhotoPaper300OEMingenUVcomp.txt
    1.6 MB · Views: 468
  • Epson3880SIHLLustrePhotoPaper300OEM_2.txt
    1.6 MB · Views: 490
Last edited: