Urgent help Canon ip4920

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
BTW, I scored a hardly used iP4300 on the street left for recycling to pick up. Sat there in the sun for 3 days. So how could I resist.
Ah come on @mikling, I don’t believe that likely story for one moment.:hu

Be honest with your family, where did you hide the little blue rope you had attracted to the side of the printer, but best of all, imagine saying these days, that the poor little thing followed you home...:oops:
Congratulation on giving this GEM a new life...:hugs:clap

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Look mom!!!!! Can I please keep it?
Joe
There's more to this story as Joe's comments were not far off.
On the first day, my wife was sitting in the car and she said leave it alone. It obviously is trashed and no good. I left it because who's the boss right?
Two days later, I go past it while picking up mail and it is still there but I am alone in the car. I look at it and it is smiling at me the lid kept going up and down. I wink and it whispers in my ear. Come get me. Somehow the printer found its way into my trunk. It must have a built in magnet. I really could not understand how that happened, I have no memory of it.

Now this thing was a distraction to the work I am doing for the Pro-1000. Everybody needs a break.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I have an old i960 Canon that had stubborn clog issues with the Print Head. I became frustrated and performed multiple deep cleaning cycles (perhaps 8 or 9) in a row. The printer was disassembled sufficiently that I could observe the entire print engine during the process.

At the last cleaning attempt, SMOKE arose from the printer (I could not determine from where). That was the last time any ink was spit onto paper...she died!

This leads me to believe that nozzle current was flowing during deep cleaning cycles.
Take a look at the nozzle plate and the electrical contacts - no burned spots too see?
I had dying canon heads with smoke already, without multiple cleanings but most probably with electrical failure.
My opinion is that clogging, or any sort of ink flow issues, which is more or less inevitable, burns some nozzles of a canon thermal head here and there. Thats why canon heads have much more nozzles than necessary for the printer resolution, while epson heads have exactly the number of nozzles according to the resolution. And thats why on an epson nozzle check you can count the nozzles and identify a missing one while on canon nozzle checks there are the color bars wiith more or less stripes. If a certain amount of nozzles is burnt, "micro" electrical shorts are damaging the circuite board of the head, than possibly the board of the printer.
So my layman's explanation, why epson tends to clog and canon tends to burn... and when stripes appear cleaning often doesn't help anymore.
I may sound stubborn myself ... but I'm still not convinced that it was your deep cleaning what killed the head in smoke..

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Now this is where you need to put on your thinking cap.

With my thinking cap on, I have always wondered how AIR fills the reservoir section of BCI carts. There are no vents in the reservoir side. The ink "level" in the sponge section must be drawn down to below the connecting passageway between compartments for the air to get into the reservoir side to let air in.

Inspection of the smoked i960 did reveal a burned area in the nozzle plate die. It wasn't burned before the deep cleans. I have to take this as evidence that all nozzles fire during deep cleaning. Perhaps not all simultaneously, but a lot of them together until they are all fired equally...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
a Canon printhead has several nozzles rows per color - one row each for a particular droplet size, Epson can eject various droplet sizes through the same nozzle. There is a decoder chip in the Canon printhead decoding the binary nozzle address and switching the nozzle current puls ( is it with 28 volt or something like that?) This chip most likely has a limited life time, getting hot etc.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I read it another way, Canon are very specific in their manuals, you can run several head cleans and this will have no detrimental effect on the print head but it says to only run one and not more than two deep cleans in a 24 hour period, why ?