Underwhelmed By Pro-100

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I agree the Pro 9000 has a greenish cast particularly noticeable on the top right image the Pro 100 more neutral. ThrillaMozilla is correct the B/W step wedges are not evenly seen on the Pro 9000 much better on the Pro 100. The canyon shot looks more saturated on the Pro 100 shot.

I am currently viewing the samples on a HP laptop but it has been calibrated by a i-match I will also have a look on the 22" Asus monitor also calibrated.

opurora

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, Pro9000ii
Hi, I think I am experiencing a problem with magenta printing properly on my 9000mkII. This perhaps would account for the greenish tint to my prints (?). I suppose it started acting up slowly so I didn't notice at first. I performed several cleanings (normal and deep) and I did a auto then manual print head alignment and the only color that's giving me trouble is magenta.

However, the 100 prints are still a tad warm and have a little less definition. My workflow used to be with Qimage because of it's nice sharpness algorithm. I guess now I will have to use Print Studio Pro to print out a pattern to see which image is more to my liking and then apply the Photoshop plugin Photokit Output Sharpener to make my final print.

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
To determine if the green cast with the Pro 9000 is a printer problem or a software problem you could try to print the test image directly from Windows, using default printer settings instead of letting Photoshop manage the colours. If the printed image is still green, then it is a printer problem. If the printed image looks much more normal, then most likely some setting in the software is wrong.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I hate to tell the OP that my PRO-9000 print head died and guess which channel was clogged beyond help..... Magenta.
Believe me I did EVERYTHING to try to fix it. A new head solved.

I really do not need the PRO-9000 MKII anyway as I have the Beast! The PRO-100.

Joe

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
...Seen on my monitor the image printed by the Pro 9000 has a strong green cast, while the image printed by the Pro 100 has a less strong red/magenta cast...

I see the exact same color cast. I am on a calibrated Dell U3011 monitor.

Al

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
I did a google the other day and read about people having issues with some sort of color cast on their prints. From what I recall, the owners had 1.02 and 1.03 drivers (firmware). It was stated that an upgrade to driver (firmware) 1.04 fixed the problem. I see you are on 1.03, which is the same driver (firmware) they had. That could be the issue. Jtoolman was part of that discussion, so maybe he remembers where the thread is. I will try and find it again and post it.

Update: Found the thread. Take a look at them (particularly the 1st one) as I think this may solve your problem.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52237876
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3544550

Al

Last edited:

opurora

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100, Pro9000ii
Thanks Al, I wish I could just upgrade to 1.04. But that seems like the mystery firmware that was never released for public download. I'm anxious about going all the way up to 1.1.

Last edited:

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Thanks Al, I wish I could just upgrade to 1.04. But that seems like the mystery firmware that was never released for public download. I'm anxious about going all the way up to 1.1.

Yeah, I do recall reading that part. Funny, my printer has the 1.04 firmware. I think Jtoolman upgraded to that firmware from what I recall in reading that thread. Hopeful he sees this and can confirm.

Good luck

Last edited:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
No, mine is still the original 1.02
I bought two other printers new in box but I do not what those are and probably will not for quite a while.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I would recommend some caution when dealing with firmware upgrades, because you can always upgrade but you can’t down grade, so be very careful what you wish for guys..:hide