Unclogging Canon Printheads

SteveG

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
stratman said:
Yes, use the Upload function to post an image.

One other thing you can try is to clean the metal contact surfaces of the print head and the printer with isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth or use a pencil eraser. If the contacts are dirty from ink or oxidation then the electrical signal will be impeded and result in failure to output ink.
I uploaded the image yesterday. Are you able to see it? Thanks.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
Go to "Uploads" section, copy the "thumb" link of your image and paste it in your post here.

SteveG

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Tudor said:
Go to "Uploads" section, copy the "thumb" link of your image and paste it in your post here.
Hope this works:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
SteveG said:
Tudor said:
Hope this works: www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/8907_nozzle-check-image.jpg[
We're getting closer but your image is too small and dark for me to examine it properly. :idunno

Was your image that small (resolution) before you uploaded it or did the "thumb" function shrink the photo? Either rescan the nozzle check to a larger resolution or do not use the "thumb" function when you upload it.

SteveG

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
stratman said:
SteveG said:
Tudor said:
Hope this works: [url]http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/8907_nozzle-check-image.jpg[/url]
We're getting closer but your image is too small and dark for me to examine it properly. :idunno

Was your image that small (resolution) before you uploaded it or did the "thumb" function shrink the photo? Either rescan the nozzle check to a larger resolution or do not use the "thumb" function when you upload it.
This should be better:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
leoo said:
I have a strange nozzle check problem. I am sorry for breaking apart the URL with the nozzle check test but the forum does not allow noobs to post any URL.

ww w .nifty-stuff. com / forum /uploads/ 8913_nozzle-check1.jpg

There are no lines but magenta and yellow had their color block split in 2 parts, a normal tone and half intense and lighter shade blocks (see photo). Now the yellow is gone, and only magenta shows it.

Could that be

ink clogging problem
or
some electrical contacts
or
someting else?

Canon Pro9500.

Should I use amonia to clean the printhead or izopropyl alcohol? The printer uses pigment inks.

Any ideas?

I tried several cleaning cycles, droped some alcohol where cartriges deliver the ink with cleaning cycles but there is no change.
1) If the printer is still under warranty then contact Canon tech Support.

2) Do you refill the cartridges? If so, what ink and what method of refilling?

3) You can try cleaning the electrical contacts on the print head and the printer with isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth or use a soft pencil eraser.

4) What happens when you print images of solid colors? Is there banding with either missing color(s) or alternating light/dark colors? Does the printout begin fine and then gradually or suddenly have missing/less color(s) after a while?

5) This could be anything from a clog, a print head malfunction, a cartridge issue such as ink starvation or a combination of issues.

6) One way to narrow the possibilities of what is wrong is to try a new OEM Canon Magenta and Yellow since these appear to to be the problem colors. Report back what happens when you try these new cartridges. If new OEM cartridges correct the problems then your old cartridges either need to be flushed to clear the issue or discarded entirely.

7) Do not print anything else but nozzle checks for now. If cleanings have not improved the nozzle checks so far then you might want to hold off on more at this point until you try the above suggestions.

8) There are many versions of cleaning solutions and methods to unclog a print head and flush a cartridge. What is best is a matter of opinion, but usually people use either straight water or water plus an alcohol of some type and/or ammonia. Some use Windex with Ammonium D (original Windex). For one certain ink clog, a little liquid dishwashing detergent was added to water. The following are links and text of various methods.

20 ml isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol)
80 ml distilled water
10 drops of propylene glycol (Ed. - Used to recondition the cartridge's sponge or for long term storage of print head)
(optional: 5 drops of concentrated ammonia)

Ammonia Concentration: if used in cleaning cycle stick with 5 drops per 100 ml and when used to soak printheads externally increase it to 20-25 drops.

Fold a paper towell into a nice thick and even strip and drench it with the cleaning solution and put it under the printhead and let it soak for about 1 hour. After that, execute one cleaning cycle.

25-30 % ammonia: this is concentrated ammonia. If you use household concentration, increase accordingly. Standard household ammonia in the UK is 9% w/w (weight for weight)
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=49137#p49137

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7022&p=1

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=49410#p49410

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=38244#p38244

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
stratman said:
There is no "thumb"function when uploading a picture on niffty, unless you are reffering to resizing it to 160x120 (thumbnail) and that is not the case. His picture is 240x260.

Click on this:

;)

SteveG

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm not clear with the problem: I bought the Canon ip4820 a few months ago and use it at least 3 times a week refilling cartridges often. I use a small scale to weigh the black cartridges and avoid printing when empty. A week ago magenta began giving me problems - after software cleaning (repeated normal and then "deep") nozzle checks were either steaked or completely blank. All other colours are fine. I then removed and rinsed/bathed print head. Problem was fixed for a few prints then magenta blank again. I repeated head clean techniqe and also used steam from kettle (recomended by local ink supply store manager). Magenta was fine for 30+ colour prints and magenta problem again. I bought a new canon magenta cartridge in case the previous was faulty. Still more problems.

Weird thing is that it will print well for a series of the same image - I print about 30 sheets of 8.5" x 11" of the same image at a time. When I refill cartridges and try to print another image . . . the magenta then has problems - even if magenta has not been refilled. How can the ink flow well for many prints and then suddenly stop completely when I go to another image?

I'll see if Canon will send a new print head or printer (or I'll bite the bullet and buy a new one -recommendations?) but I am curious about this problem. Thanks.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
SteveG said:
Better is a relative term. :sick

All I can say is that I don't see Magenta. I can't tell if there are any other issues with the nozzle check. Since print head cleanings do correct the problem for a while, then it sounds like you have a clog. You've tried a new OEM Canon cartridge and that didn't completely resolve the problem - streaking or no ink reoccurred. If this is a correct summation of your issues then you can continue to try and unclog your print head using a technique I discussed in my above post to leoo. How long it will take is unknown. Which method works best is up for conjecture. I've tried tap water flushing, submerging the print head in various fluid potions, and using cartridges filled with cleaning solution and doing cleaning cycles. I have not yet tried the method that uses paper towels underneath the print head but it sounds as good as any other method.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
SteveG
Question:- You said that you used island ink for years in Epson/Canon, Its not the same batch of ink by any chance.

The problems you are having with only the magenta sounds like a bad formulation,
bad batch or wrong ink and the print head obviously doesnt like it..:hit

Also your refill ink may not be mixing very well with the OEM ink,
try purging the magenta cartridge and refilling it again..