Unbelievable How Much Ink Is Wasted Cleaning Printhead

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
For those of you that print often and think that you don't need a waste ink tank be advised. YOU DO!!! After installing one on my Artisan 837 and running a head cleaning I was absolutely amazed at the amount of ink pumped into the waste ink tank. If I were to guess I'd say that it was between 2 and 3 ml of ink. Considering that most of today's printers come with smaller and smaller cartridges it's amazing how long they actually last.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Don't tell me: I have an Epson R3000 with 8 cartridges dumping ink that equals about 5 ml each time and sometimes even more.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Some manufactures trick us: If they detect refilled cart being used, the logic board will make the cleaning cycle longer, more thorough and consume much more ink...

Last edited:

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I, too, was surprised by the volume of ink dumped into the "printer potty" by my Epson Artisan 800. A real eye-opener, but it's running on a CIS, so it's much less of a cost issue for me.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I couldn't believe it after fitting the Printer Potty either, so now I have 3 installed and counting,
I think there’re brilliant for measuring the waste ink.

It’s a whole new light on ink monitoring altogether..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Printer Potty -- got my attention. So I found a video on the You Tubes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqnq-NIui_s

Is that our websnail? Like the blooper reel at the end.

So, should I be buying an Epson now?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Is that our websnail? Like the blooper reel at the end.
For my sins... Yep, that be liddle ole' me.. :)

... and believe me the blooper reel is getting new material every time I do any video!
So, should I be buying an Epson now?
Well, I have to admit I'm rapidly becoming an XP-600 convert. The print quality is really good, and the OCP ink I'm testing out is certainly a good option. Still need to do more work with it to flush out the remaining OEM and get to the true output but even in the initial stages I'm impressed with it.

But, each to their own...

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
In my limited experience, it seems that Epson's print heads are more robust than Canon's, probably due to the absence of high peak firing currents and reduced thermal fatigue in Epson's design.

Go for it!

Wayne

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
As I was watching you initially try to get the nipple on the tubing I said to myself "use forceps" and sure enough you did.

GMTA :D

Turbguy -- Thanks. Still printing away with my Canon MP830. I do like to know my options and the Epson with the Printer Potty looks like a good set up. Had my eye on the Artisian series as well.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
As I was watching you initially try to get the nipple on the tubing I said to myself "use forceps" and sure enough you did.

GMTA :D
... and fools seldom differ ;)... but I appreciate your retro-active credit claiming for my inspired tool usage :p

Although yes, the forceps find has made life so much easier... The Workforce 7015 was the catalyst for that purchase and I haven't looked back.