Types of Water to flush cartridges

repro

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What type of water would you suggest for cleaning out ink cartridges, some have told me de-ionised and others say RO Water, also is there any way of making the water myself rather than having to buy it in?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
You need to use boiled water that has less lime or salts in it. You can also use filtered water if you use reverse osmosis filter system I doubt that anybody uses one. You must use distilled water for last phase of cleaning.

After the cartridge is cleaned you should refill it with ink, drying is not required just blow the water out.
After 1st refill blow ink out and refill with new, you ask why. Because you need to restore ink PH levels and distilled water you were washing had different levels that are required. I noticed this as some my refilled cartridges were feeding poorly. Then I did as I said and it fixed the problem.

Also you can use 1ml of ammonia in 50ml of hot water for washing solution, this washed allot better than plain water does. Just remember to use just distilled water for last phase of cleaning else your ink will leak out.

repro

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for this it really helped, is there a way of producing distilled water or does it need to be bought in? If I used standard tap water for the first phase would it hurt the cartridge?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
It's cheaper to buy it than make it.

repro

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have to use 3 litres of water for the first stage so do you think doing it all with De Ionised may be better?

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I use plain old tap water here. Have for years now and see no problems. Maybe my water isn't that hard - it comes from a commercial supply. TDS meter reads ~300 ppm.

Edit: Doing research - my water is considered Hard.

Steve W.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
To save deionised or distilled water: use normal tap water and just the last one or two rising cycles deionised/distilled water. No noticable difference and it will save you gallons/litres of deionised water.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
pharmacist said:
To save deionised or distilled water: use normal tap water and just the last one or two rising cycles deionised/distilled water. No noticable difference and it will save you gallons/litres of deionised water.
I second that. I thought it was clear I wrote to use distilled water for last phase of cleaning. But you should use boiled water it helps to remove any minerals :)

atlascopy

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Here is a useless fact. To tell if your water is truly distilled just try to boil it. If you can't get it to boil it's true distilled water. Either way, I agree with Inkjet Master.;)

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
atlascopy said:
Here is a useless fact. To tell if your water is truly distilled just try to boil it. If you can't get it to boil it's true distilled water.
Please point me to someplace that agrees with your statement. Maybe it won't bubble and roil, but it will still boil and turn into steam.