Trouble getting half decent quality from a Stylus Pro 4000

cmscss

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm new to these kinds of printers and now have a second-hand Stylus Pro 4000.

Setup is as follows:
- Printer has the optional ethernet card
- Using 8x 220ml ink cartridges
- Computer is running Mac OS 10.7
- Fresh install of 10.7 drivers from the Epson website
- Testing prints using a 160gsm Hi Resolution matte paper called Jetmat36 from a company called Jetpro
- Printing from Lightroom 3 using the Epson/Apple driver

The prints exhibit:
- Cyan instead of solid black (like the printer is missing black ink)
- Prints are really washed out (they look over exposed)
- Or a combination of both

None of the inks are below 25% and I'm not seeing any warnings so am not sure why the printer won't print solid black.

Maybe I need to invest in some RIP software (it came with an Epson RIP but the installer is too old to work) but I was expecting a half decent print with the Epson drivers - when I say washed out prints, I mean no highlight detail and most of the mid tones are missing.

Also, when I cancel a print (hold the pause button for 3 seconds) the printer will cancel the print but when I come back to the printer, it's printed the entire print again.

Because I'm not super familiar with the terminology, I suspect I'm searching for the wrong things so any help or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
First question would be, How is your Nozzle Check looking?
That would immediately tell you what colors are no printing.

cmscss

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for that - not good!

After running the check, the printer is sitting there saying that the nozzles are still clogged.

The printer may have been sitting around for a few years before I go it - is there a list of things I could do to get it back to working order or is it a job for professionals?

Cheers

Ben

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Well, for starters, you could run a cleaning cycle then do another nozzle check to see if there is an improvement between the previous one and this one.
Sounds like you might be new at this? Well if so you are at the right place. There are quite a number of experts in this group and I am sure you will be able to find a solution.

cmscss

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yep totally new - sorry I thought the Nozzle Check was also cleaning because it took about 15mins and seemed as if it was constantly moving the print head to the side to clean it.

Will perform the nozzle cleaning now.

Cheers

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Make sure your ink levels are high as cleaning cycles will use up ink. If you see an improvement wait a few hours before you do another cleaning cycle.
If you can get at least 70% of your nozzles firing run a few sheets of the 8 color purge file included in the PDF in this link.
http://www.inkjetcarts.us/support/article/color-priming-chart-collection-windows.html

Download the file: ijc_support.pdf

Open it
Look for the 8 color chart
Print with the following settings:
Matte or Glossy
Highest quality
Turn High speed off
Turn all color management OFF

After you've printed several of these prints look for horizontal banding
If you still see banding run another cleaning cycle followed by yet another nozzle check
Compare with previous ones to see if there is any progress
If not you may have to move onto using a cleaning fluid / paper towel trick
Or puddling the purge pad and letting the head sit parked on it over night

I have never owned a 4000 so can't help you there but maybe someone else here will have direct experience with it

cmscss

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Awesome thanks for that, I've run a cleaning cycle and a head alignment and the printer printed that purge sheet perfectly - thanks for all the replies.

With regard to aligning the print on the paper and getting better quality color matching, do you guys use a RIP? And if so, what would you guys recommend - I'm looking at photography and more graphic style prints. Also thinking of using the printer to create film positives for screen printing.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers

Ben

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL