Top filling: cartridges leaking!! HELP!

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
.... i sealed both the top and the german hole - and it still leaked empty
so i assume that would suggest that i didn't have airtight?
If the top fill hole is sealed, a cart shouldn't leak even if the german refill hole is left open. Since it leaks with the top refill hole taped over, this suggests that it isn't really sealed. When taping over the plastic label on the top, remember that the plastic label itself might not have an air-tight seal to the cart - that's why the plugs are necessary. Also remember that the plugs assume that the hole wasn't damaged when the ball was removed.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
@jtoolamn, the video i gave a link to where i learned the wrong way... said you could use tape instead of a plug. i think i need to get some plugs judging from ur feedback
I only use soft plugs for sealing the top fill hole. They can be a pain ti re-insert at times, but I've never had one leak.

If a top-filled cart leaks after refilling, either the refill hole is not air-tight, or the cart is defective.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Arriving late to this but will respond to all points raised given that there seems to have been a bit of a problem that in part is linked to my resources.

OM2 said:
First time doing top refilling

Yellow ink cartridge leaking!!!
I followed octoink video on youtube (ref: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaxI2QPWLWA)

I'm using aluminium tape
First off, the guide is entitled "Modifying Canon inkjet cartridges for Top-Fill refilling". It does not provide you with ANY information on the act of refilling, just on modifying the cartridge and the options for plugging it afterwards.

I've looked at other videos and they all use an orange clip before filling with ink
The above video didn't mention :(

Is this where I went wrong?
As already noted the guide wasn't a refill guide so that was the initial hiccup but yes, when you refill you need to seal the outlet port or you're going to pour ink out.

There's a PDF top-fill guide (that goes out with the advertised refill bundles) here so definitely worth reading that to get a better idea of context.

EDIT: where do I buy these orange clips from?
They're available with the refill bundles or individually.

i sealed both the top and the german hole - and it still leaked empty
so i assume that would suggest that i didn't have airtight?
Correct...

Much of this has already been dealt with but what nobody has touched on or possibly considered is that repeated use of the German method used previously may have created a significant void or channel in the sponge which is allowing air in and ink out.

Without seeing what you've been doing when refilling it's hard to be sure but I suspect when you read the PDF guide and review your original approach you'll identify the primary errors.

I suspect there's a number of things going on but I would definitely mirror turbguys advice.
The hole from "german refilling" shouldn't make much difference, but I would use otherwise unaltered OEM carts for top filling.

The key thing to note is that we've all made mistakes and doubtless one of those was not reviewing instructions in full and/or seeking clarification before proceeding (Guilty as charged your honour ;)).

It is easy to jump at little things like the use of tape instead of plugs (or vice-versa) but the truth is that these things are a learning curve and there are false economies to be had from not purchasing new or at least unrefilled cartridges to keep the variables to a minimum.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
@jtoolamn, the video i gave a link to where i learned the wrong way... said you could use tape instead of a plug. i think i need to get some plugs judging from ur feedback
search for the really old thread regarding "sealing the fill hole". It is a long thread, but it covers several methods and also reports what didn't work (tape was one that didn't seal well.) I've successfully used the stainless steel screw/o-ring successfully, and I've recently started using plugs from Precision Colors to seal the top fill bci-6 and cli-8 carts. Each required a different preparation but both work very well. I've never had a leaking cart in the 10 years of so I've been refilling. Precision has an instruction sheet on how to prepare carts for use of their plugs. I expect that octoink also has similar plugs.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
That's the one. A very long thread with lots of early attempts at sealing the fill hole. Not bad background for a newbie at top filling as it shows the progression of attempts and the ones that were most easy and successful. A little time spent with the "history" of how the best solutions came to be can save a lot of time and headaches (aka leaks).

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
search for the really old thread regarding "sealing the fill hole". It is a long thread, but it covers several methods and also reports what didn't work (tape was one that didn't seal well.)
Yup.. just to note though, Aluminium tape is a different beast to other tapes. With virtually all the others the adhesive is water soluble and/or leaves a residue. The Aluminium (Aluminum for the N.Am' types) tape doesn't suffer the same issue at all and will adhere and stay there provide the surface is dry and clean when you stick it down.

I expect that octoink also has similar plugs.
We do indeed have silicon plugs of various types but I believe PC has something else from what I've read in previous threads.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Because I'm in the US I work with Precision Colors. they have two types of plugs, both of which are used in the original factory fill hole after the ball is removed. One is color coded and has a small tab to help in removal and the other has a mushroom cap looking top. The latter one is actually easier to press into the fill hole as the top is broader and there is a taper at the end that is inserted. Mike suggests using a 5/32 drill bit to "chase" the fill hole as some of the cart fill holes are not quite uniform in size. I've done that routinely and the plugs work very well.

George in Georgia

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100, Epson R1800
I also use the Precision Colors plugs, the ones with the tab for removal. So far, so good, although I've refilled only twice....