Time to GROW-UP - 3D Modeling Software

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Yiur way ahead of me @Nifty
I'm usually pretty good with software but I find all CAD quite difficult, however I intend to dedicate some time each day to really learn one of the programmes.
Honestly, I was literally afraid of even trying to learn... which is why I put it off for 3+ years. I thought it would be way over my head (which most of it still is), but following along with a handful of "build-with-me" type videos really helped me out.

That said, today I had to make a part and I have NO idea how to do it in parametric design, so off to tinkercad I went, and had it done in 5 minutes:

1603423064117.png

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Honestly, I was literally afraid of even trying to learn..
That said, today I had to make a part and I have NO idea how to do it in parametric design, so off to tinkercad I went, and had it done in 5 minutes:
Necessity is the mother of all inventions.. Way to go @Nifty.. :thumbsup

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Wait....!!!

Spreadsheets AND 3D printing combined!?!?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks @Nifty for the little tutorial video..
If this is what’s in store for me while trying to learn FreeCad then I got no chance, It’s all far to technical for me to follow, because of my learning difficulties.. To many screen changes..

I can make up the same box as quick as he can draw it on screen without using parametric Modelling, it’s like building a two story dog box with just one small room in it downstairs, sorry for being so cynical.
In OpenScad anyone can use it with ease regardless of age, The box this guy makes is smaller on the inside than the dimensions he started with.. Ops’ its back to the spreadsheet..

difference(){....................... Used to cut out box middle
color("lime") ......................Just for Visual aid
translate([0,0,0]) ................Position on pallet
cube([106,56,34]);............ Box size needed

color("yellow") ..................Just for Visual aid
translate([3,3,5]) ...............Position on pallet
cube([100,50,30]);} ..........Final correct box size..
box.JPG
Figures are millimetres
P.S. I can make these two objects https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/time-to-grow-up-3d-modeling-software.14174/post-123215

in OpenScad with a little bit of time…

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I really wish I had dove-into parametric design (Fusion, OnShape, etc.) earlier on!

Here's something I made in OnShape that worked out PERFECTLY, and I would have had a hard time designing in tinkercad:

I needed a VERY specific shaped funnel to fit my SodaStream to refill it with Dry Ice:

I created a shape and then did a simple "revolve" extrusion, and added a couple fillets. Easy and worked PERFECTLY!

... and if I need to make a change, it's incredibly easy to do:

2021-09-02 14_02_19-Revolve Funnel - CO2 SodaStream _ Part Studio 1.jpg

2021-09-02 14_01_34-Revolve Funnel - CO2 SodaStream _ Part Studio 1.jpg

TheChiro

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ender 5 Pro
I really wish I had dove-into parametric design (Fusion, OnShape, etc.) earlier on!

Here's something I made in OnShape that worked out PERFECTLY, and I would have had a hard time designing in tinkercad:

I needed a VERY specific shaped funnel to fit my SodaStream to refill it with Dry Ice:

I created a shape and then did a simple "revolve" extrusion, and added a couple fillets. Easy and worked PERFECTLY!

View attachment 12750

View attachment 12751
You make it sound like it is so much quicker in that program than Fusion 360 lol I'm determined to figure out fusion 360 as I think it has a lot of capabilities that, when learned, can make the jobs go a lot quicker. I've seen some of these youtubers just hop in fusion and whip something complex up in the manner of minutes. I'm super jelly of them and hopes to be close to their level one of these days lol

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
You make it sound like it is so much quicker in that program than Fusion 360
I don't know if OnShape is much easier / harder than Fusion. I kinda figure that once you learn the basics of "parametric design", then those skills are pretty transferable to most of the apps.

For example, I started learning FreeCAD, and then ended up moving to OnShape and a lot of the tools and processes were very similar.

I've seen some of these youtubers just hop in fusion and whip something complex up in the manner of minutes.
Ya, a lot of the guys on Youtube make it look SOOO easy. I wish I could just download their skills to my brain and whip-up whatever comes to mind!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

Nice one @Nifty, the name of the game is getting exactly what you want..

Yes my prints take a long time to complete, but I never count the many hour and failures I make when attempting to design exactly what I want.. Magic wand preferable..;)