Time to GROW-UP - 3D Modeling Software

Hector Vilches

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
R2000, 3880, PRO-100, PRO-10
Like most, I started with Tinkercad and then Fusion 360. I still use Tinkercad for really simple stuff. I also tried FreeCAD and really wanted to like it... I really tried to like it, but it is just sooooo far from Fusion 360, I gave up.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Honestly, I was literally afraid of even trying to learn... which is why I put it off for 3+ years. I thought it would be way over my head (which most of it still is), but following along with a handful of "build-with-me" type videos really helped me out.
Long time ago when I started out and wanted to type up nice professional looking letters, I tried MS Word and found I spent 10 times longer trying to get exactly what I wanted than typing the Feckin words and sometimes even gave up, instead I went over to Quark or Illustrator, yes I know its slower but it's exact..

Now to make most of my projects in 3D I settled on OPENSCAD, not because its great and can do everything, on the contrary, I use it simply because I can usually make the objects that I want, without ending up being frustrated and getting nowhere.

In a nut shell, if it works for you then use it, but not because it cool or gets great bragging rights.. I’m not ashamed or embarrassed to say most of these Apps. Are way over my head..

My level of abilities are subject to the level of the contents of my head.. I know my short comings and limitations.. When I fell off my brothers bike, I still managed to ride it later..

3D needn’t be beyond everybody’s ability to enjoy making their 3D objects.. if you get stuck than ask for help here..