time spent on refilling a cartridge

doctor

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have been watching and reading many of the posts in this forum, and have come to the conclusion my opinion on the time i would spend on refilling a customers cartridge, is different than most.

So i would like to ask everyone what thier thoughts are on this subject. at what point, time wise, does it begin to cut into your profit, and you deem the cartridge a failure?

brwhitesell

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My first post *tear*

I work in the retail inkjet refilling business and we basically look at the time spent refilling one customers cartridge like this. Say we sell the refill for $10, just throwing a number out there. If you pay an employee $10/hour, they spend 20 minutes on one cartridge, that would cost you $3.33 in time right there. That doesn't include the cost of the ink, time, any solvents/cleaning supplies used, repackaging materials, clips, etc. that go into refilling and properly getting that cartridge back out to the customer. So say you have $5 into the labor and everything else once that cartridge is done (just rounding numbers here). So you sell it for $10 back to the customer, you didn't buy the core, so you made roughly $5, in 20 minutes. In general I don't like to spend more than 10 minutes working on one particular cartridge for an individual customer. Also keep in mind that batching cartridges and having them ready to go (exchange to the customer) will recoup some of the loss on your individual refills where you may not have refills already available. Any more than 20 minutes on one cartridge for one person isn't worth it, at those numbers anyways, kind of just have to build up a feel for when you say "okay this isn't worth it"

I hope this post helped in some way!

On a side note;

I've been reading the forums here for a long time and have been impressed by the knowledge and support the members here give and I am happy to now be a part of it. Thanks all!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Not trying to be critical, just a bit stunned, what in the world would require 20 minutes to refill one cartridge? Even ten minutes sounds like too much time. Do you not have any automation in the process?

wrox

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello,

New here, so firs of all i want to say It's great forum!

I 'm in refilling busines for about two years, and can say that in my opinion for refilling laserjet cartridge ~8minutes is very good time/quallity. Thees 8minutes includes refilling+testing. I was trying to get best result for refilling q2612 cartridge and it was 5min10sec (quallity was perfect).
p.s. Sorry for my English ;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
wrox said:
Hello,

New here, so firs of all i want to say It's great forum!

I 'm in refilling busines for about two years, and can say that in my opinion for refilling laserjet cartridge ~8minutes is very good time/quallity. Thees 8minutes includes refilling+testing. I was trying to get best result for refilling q2612 cartridge and it was 5min10sec (quallity was perfect).
p.s. Sorry for my English ;)
Thanks for your post.

You're English is good. I understood you!