Thinking of upgrading your printer to get better photos?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
At some point I will make instructions for Epson printers. Some models deserve special attention because their print driver is a little more elaborate. So Epson users. don't feel left out for the time being.

strobemonkey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Great thread, I am looking to refill using websnail's inks, will the profiles work with my MP560? I use costco paper. cheers

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Now about Epson's printers again. I notice that the Epson Stylus Photo 1400 is on sale for $149 at the Epson USA clearance store...I don't know how long this price will last. The reason I mention this is because this is the LOWEST cost photoprinter whose driver supports color management with custom profiles allowed. The significance of this when it comes to versatility cannot and should not be underestimated. If you are using a card printing application that does not support color management, then it becomes unwieldy to use color management. With this printer, it is not a problem as the driver will take care of this if you possess the profile. The fact that it is a wider desktop printer as well as the potential to switch between archival pigment and economical dye inks is also a real treat as well. The last and very enticing option is that it can also now be used in a photobooth application and give accurate colors without resorting to OEM inks and papers or dye sub printers. For the money, the most versatile printer for the printing enthusiast.

I will show how to use this type of driver in another installment.

Now I had mentioned that if your photoediting software did not support color management then you'd need to get either Qimage or something that does support color management. With the 1400, there is no need for this as the printer driver software will support it. That potentially can save at least $35 by not having to acquire Qimage. Even the Pro9000 driver does not feature this. From what I can see, Epson's more expensive printers from the SP1400 and up allows this as they are geared to the more serious crowd who want and use color management and a variety of papers that Epson does not provide.

None of the lower cost and standard width printers have drivers that allow this and color management by the application is thus required. There is no technical reason why it could not be done, just marketing.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Mikling,

I am using this Epson 1400 printer for about 3 months or so and still very happy with it. I converted this printer to a CISS with pigment ink. The printing quality is even better than my previous Canon i9950, without the red and green inks, supposed to improve the gamut, but actually I can not see any difference in printing quality and gamut (even in higly saturated reds en greens).

Another questions: you know that the Epson 1400 prints with 5 different droplet sizes: 1.5, 3, 7, 14 and 21 pl. This fact implies that the printer can actually prints nice shades of light magenta and light cyan without having these colours installed. It is in fact even better than the Canon printers producing 3 droplet sizes with cyan/magenta/grey (MP980/990): 1, 3, 5 pl. Even the Epson R1800 and the R1900 do not have these lighter shades of magenta and cyan and can still produce nice shades of light cyan and magenta.

Therefore in theory it could be possible for having the channels for light cyan and light magenta to be occupied by grey and matte black ink, making it more than oustanding alternative to the Epson R2400/R2880 printer. The major problem is the rewrite the driver to cope with these colours, so one can enjoy true B/W-prints and by having both photo black and matte black installed, without the need for the annoying black ink swab as with the Epson R2400/R2880 printer. Maybe tweaking with QTR ?.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Sorry pharmacist I want to stay on topic here for the time being.

Now we are going to start to do some printing.

We have installed the profile and it is in the correct folder.

After installing Qimage the opening screen should look somewhat like this.

SelectPrinterProfile.jpg

We are going to use the Prtr ICC dropdown near the right hand bottom to select the printer profile we have selected.

Pick Choose New Profile in the dropdown selection

EpCM1.jpg

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The next screen will look like this

Pick the correct printer profile..the one you downloaded

SelectProfile2.jpg

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Then this screen will then be next

Leave the default rendering intent as perceptual.

Selectprofile3.jpg

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Select the model of printer that you have installed on your system. In this case it is an MP500

Then select Properties

PrinterSelected.jpg

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
After selecting properties

We now need to carefully select the Media type: in this case I have selected Canon Photo Paper Pro for the Kirkjland Professional Glossy. The printer profile is specifically made for this paper.

Print Quality is selected to he High as the profile was made with this setting.

Now this part is important. For Color Intensity, select MANUAL. Take note, then select SET

PrinterSelected2.jpg